2017-11-13 [Oathbringer Release Party] Utah Valley Convention Center, Provo

Mason Wheeler

4 minutes ago, old aggie said:

Also, BTW, there are usually people (sort of) eavesdropping on what people ask Brandon + his answers, and they post it later online - it's not the person who asked the question who usually does that. So there probably won't be a way to ask a "private" question so that only you will know his answer.

FYI we're usually pretty good about heeding questioner's/Brandon's requests to not put a WoB online. Argent makes it his personal mission at all the CHI signings to turn the recorder off/on in such cases, and otherwise we just audit the recording and cut out any parts where Brandon goes "I don't want this online" or the like. For the release party we'll have Shard admins probably right there, so if you're feeling private and don't want to spend "Brandon time" asking you could also ask one of them to make a note of it.

I've never been to a QA with Brandon before. Could someone describe what it's like? Do we just line up for personalizations and you get 30 seconds or so to ask what questions we want before walking away with a personalized book? Does he write answers to your questions in the book? How much pressure is there to step aside quickly?

We are on 84. If you preordered a book you have an hour to get down here!!!!!!! You get a numbered book and a wristband that will give you priority seating at the party tonight. You don’t have to stand in any other lines. You have to - have to have your order and book number. People are showing up that didn’t preorder and they can’t get a wristband. 

6 hours ago, OathKeeper said:

I've never been to a QA with Brandon before. Could someone describe what it's like? Do we just line up for personalizations and you get 30 seconds or so to ask what questions we want before walking away with a personalized book? Does he write answers to your questions in the book? How much pressure is there to step aside quickly?

You are correct about how it usually goes. At signings I've attended, he takes questions from the whole crowd first, then you can ask something quick when you get your copy signed. They suggest that you write out what you'd like for your personalization on a post-it or something, if you want something specific, but I usually just ask for "something about [character X]" and he comes up with something cool. He also has a couple things he uses for when fans don't have special requests. You'll also get a moment to have your picture taken with Brandon -- the organizers are great about handling that.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this evening! and this morning in line! :-)

1 hour ago, JoyBlu said:

We are on 84. If you preordered a book you have an hour to get down here!!!!!!! You get a numbered book and a wristband that will give you priority seating at the party tonight. You don’t have to stand in any other lines. You have to - have to have your order and book number. People are showing up that didn’t preorder and they can’t get a wristband. 

Thank you so much for this post. I saw it, dashed in at the last minute, and claimed #89 where I had had #1333 before! :D

See you all at the party tonight!

3 hours ago, old aggie said:

You are correct about how it usually goes. At signings I've attended, he takes questions from the whole crowd first, then you can ask something quick when you get your copy signed. They suggest that you write out what you'd like for your personalization on a post-it or something, if you want something specific, but I usually just ask for "something about [character X]" and he comes up with something cool. He also has a couple things he uses for when fans don't have special requests. You'll also get a moment to have your picture taken with Brandon -- the organizers are great about handling that.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this evening! and this morning in line! :-)

Thanks! It's helpful to know what to expect!

@Mason Wheeler and @snipexe

You are welcome! I’m glad it worked out for you. I’m going to dress up as Navani at the signing tonight. (The neckline on the red dress with gold trim is too low for the traditional dress so I will still put my red scarf on!)   I’ll also be wearing a crown. Please come say hi if you see me at the signing. I’m number 60. 

I found out out more information about the signing tonight from Tammi the bookstore lady when she was handing out wristbands this morning. 

The way they have the ballroom setup there will be 1100 seats in the ballroom. They pre-sold 1400 books. 

The BYU book store received the numbered books in blocks. BYU received numbers 1-200. And then other blocks (like 500 in the 1000 range and 500 in the 3000 range) that is why there was such a gap in book numbers in the pre-orders. Other book stores got other sections/blocks under 1000. (Some in Salt Lake and California) 

97 people signed up for the VIP passes and you can’t buy one anymore because they already preordered the food  (even if you promise not to eat any food)  —we asked!

There was some confusion/misunderstanding about the reserved seating for those how have green numbered wristbands. Right now the only reserved seating goes to the people who purchased the VIP pass. 

Last night while camping we were told by numbers 1-2-3-&-4 (the first 4 in line) that the green numbered wristband people would have reserved seating at the signing but then Tammie said she only might be able to section off some seats for those with Green numbered wristbands because she hadn’t planned on it. So not sure what to expect. I’ve heard that there is already a line to get inside the convention center that opens at 6:45 tonight. I  wish I could get down there in line now — but I can’t at the moment. I still need to shower from camping out. And it got cold. Thanks to those strangers from California who ordered pizza for everyone at the camp and for the guys that bought bagels for everyone this morning! And to the guys who saw me struggling to put up my tent who came and helped me and to those who helped me fold it back up this morning. And to Kevin the security guard who kept us all safe!

I want a good seat for tonight — but At least I have a wristband  

@Kalinar you should message me! I have something for you. 

And here is a link to a picture I will post of some of the people who were there this morning. 

So great to meet you!

@taxilian

27C598EF-0D20-43C7-90D7-3CDCEF832E39.jpeg

Edited by JoyBlu
Add link

47 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:

@Mason Wheeler and @snipexe

You are welcome! I’m glad it worked out for you. I’m going to dress up as Navani at the signing tonight. (The neckline on the red dress with gold trim is too low for the traditional dress so I will still put my red scarf on!)   I’ll also be wearing a crown. Please come say hi if you see me at the signing. I’m number 60.

All right, I'll be on the lookout for a Navani in a red dress.  I'll be dressed as myself, with a leather jacket, jeans, and a computer with a bunch of recording equipment so whatever awesomeness ends up going down can end up on YouTube.

BTW why is your photo upside-down?

Quick note to people who will not be cosplaying: when it comes time for the general session with Brandon reading and answering questions and stuff, don't stand too close to someone who's in cosplay if you want to ask a question.

I learned this the hard way when I went to the Calamity tour.  Right in front of me was this cute little girl, maybe 12-13 years old, in a long blue dress, a single glove, and a red wig.  He called on her when she had a question, because of course he's going to take a question from Shallan, and then took a bunch of questions from other parts of the room and I never got to ask mine. :P

Also, just a quick public service: in case you don't remember where it was among all the deluge of information we've been getting over the last few months, here's how to find parking for the event.

https://brandonsanderson.com/oathbringer-release-party/

Edited by Mason Wheeler

On 10/27/2017 at 7:42 PM, JoyBlu said:

I will be there. I’m so excited!!!

I’ll be wearing a red scarf around my neck. (And if I have to wait in a long line I’m bringing Warbreaker with me to reread) Please come say hi if you see me or message me on here.

Not doing the VIP because I’ll be bringing my son and his “friend” and mumbling “no mating” under my breath the entire night! 

Here they are this morning. If you see them tonight feel free to mumble to them as well. :PFF07B6FA-EBBC-427B-9D8E-2B8BAB4E754A.thumb.jpeg.37f3a797e48b5e052bbda015b883bb86.jpeg