2017-11-13 [Oathbringer Release Party] Utah Valley Convention Center, Provo

Mason Wheeler

1 minute ago, DjangoJe said:

Just got off the phone with the bookstore. The line has been moved to the Smith feild house. I'm going right now to check it out

Is that where the check in is as well? When you get there, if you can give us an update on the count for the line, that would be great! 

1 minute ago, JoyBlu said:

I can pick up your book and mail it to you if you want. . . .   Message me if you trust me -- a complete stranger -- to do that for you.

That is a generous offer.  I might take you up on that.  I'm already planning on calling BYU back this afternoon.  I'll shoot you a message if they aren't certain they can get me the book from my confirmation email.

3 minutes ago, DoneTheMath said:

That is a generous offer.  I might take you up on that.  I'm already planning on calling BYU back this afternoon.  I'll shoot you a message if they aren't certain they can get me the book from my confirmation email.

Sounds good.  I can drop it off at the Post Office on my way home from the release party (they have a 24-hour self serve kiosk) or I can send it UPS on Tuesday.  (My neighbor works there and I can just give it to her to send and then I won't be taking my time away from my reading!!!!!)  Just let me know.

8 hours ago, Lightning said:

I just got my pickup number.

I get book 1080.  Quite a disappointment since I tried to get on their system for 2 hours.  :-(

Lighning, there was some discussion on this on one of the threads on the day the bookstore "opened" the ordering process. My order went through within 4 minutes of that time, and my number is 940. As near as anyone could tell, these are NOT book numbers - they are just order processing numbers. I think (but not sure) that the wristband number is more likely to be a book number ... or it might be that only books 1-99 are numbered, and the rest of the books don't have a number at all and the wristband number is for the signing line.

Anyway, I'm just looking forward to being there! I'm flying in tomorrow, so if you see someone in a Bridge 4 tee shirt (old design), it might be me - be sure to say Hi! :D

For those who are coming to the party and didn’t get this email because you don’t live in Utah

Oathbringer is almost out!
View this email in your browser
fc39e802-435b-44a9-af15-96a936e6d262.jpg

8d3baa4a-4da9-4de4-9d65-a49bf3304b9c.jpgThis is Brandon, sending you what is (unfortunately) a form email. You’re getting this because you’re on my list and MailChimp thinks you live in Utah. If I have your location wrong, click the “update my subscription preferences” link at the bottom of the email and set me straight! Also check my events page for other upcoming events.

At 10:00 p.m. on November 13th, I will be doing the world’s first signing for my new book, Oathbringer, the third volume in The Stormlight Archive. The BYU Store has a reserved copy for anyone who preordered the book before November 9th. They will have some extra books available, but if you come without previously reserving your copy, you will not be guaranteed a book.

Since we've outgrown the space at the BYU Store we are trying something new this year. The BYU Store is still hosting the event, but the venue has changed to the Utah Valley Convention Center in Provo. 

Wristbands for the Book Release Party are FREE and will be handed out starting at 10:00 am on the NORTH side of the Utah Valley Convention Center. A wristband guarantees you a seat. Limited seating. You may pick up ONE wristband for yourself and ONE wristband for another person. A wristband is not required to attend the event, only to claim a seat.

Book Release Party Activities:

• Character Photo Ops
  • Trivia
  • Games
  • Artist’s tables
  • Badali Jewelry
  • Henna for Charity
  • Art Gallery
  • BYU Store
  • Raffle
  • Prizes

Art

If you've been dying to get your hands on art from The Stormlight Archive, and the Cosmere at large, many of the artists involved with Oathbringer will be there showing their work, including many original pieces.

93845fd4-a170-4a73-8f12-84230c33874e.jpg64859507-e1d4-47ed-adb6-0174df27dfbd.jpg

Artwork by Howard Lyon

13fdf676-b7f7-4c51-a49e-2ed966a6bbcb.jpg8a2d7524-822c-4b74-a011-88e9f2bc2987.jpg

Miranda Meeks                             Ben McSweeney

Schedule

8:45 pm - Brandon’s Presentation and Q&A

10:00 pm - Tor Books has given the release party exclusive permission to release the books at midnight in New York! That means 10:00 pm here. We will distribute books and the signing line will begin.

Because of the earlier release time, many of the activities will actually continue until midnight. So fans will have something to do while waiting for their line numbers to be called.

Camping at BYU

For those of you hoping to snag books numbered 1–99, BYU has graciously allowed camping for this book release. See the image below for where you are allowed to camp.
fbc77427-55ed-4572-8d50-03c3a4a892af.png
IMPORTANT! Numbered wristbands 1–99 will be issued at the camp site at 7:45 am on Monday, November 13th.

PLEASE NOTE! All campers must still pre–order their book!

We will only give numbered wristbands to the first 99 campers. You must have your barcode as proof of purchase. Your numbered wristband will guarantee you a seat at Brandon’s Presentation and Q&A.

Camping Rules:
  • One body equals one line number
  • Check in at the “War Camp” Info Station
  • Cannot leave for more than four hours per day
  • Must sleep overnight
  • Respect BYU’s and others’ property
  • Only use the outlets designated on the map
    • No cords strung across pathways!
  • Vacate Wilkinson Center by their designated hours
  • Quiet Time starts one hour past Wilkinson closing time
  • Be respectful of your fellow campers and BYU staff.
    • If asked to move by the University to another area, please do so. Let’s not create issues for future Stormlight book releases by not cooperating.

Personalizations
Based on past events, I should be able to personalize everyone’s books, even if it takes until 3:00 a.m. Since all of the books will be pre-signed and numbered, everyone with a reserved copy will get a numbered edition. As I’m local, you can always just come, pick up a book, and leave—then get it personalized at some other signing when things aren’t so crazy. This will probably be a busy event, but it should be very easy to just come, get a pre-signed/numbered book, then buy it and take off without waiting in any lines.

Book Release Party
Date: Monday, November 13th, 2017
Time: 7:00pm, Doors open at 6:45pm
2nd Floor
220 Center St,
Provo, UT 84601
Please use the north entrance.
Parking: See images below
b5550206-a21c-4600-aa8d-f8c34dbc1d54.jpg
6c858b39-0ba7-41a7-ba3e-dc50406a8748.jpg

color-facebook-48.png Share
color-twitter-48.png Tweet
color-googleplus-48.png +1
color-forwardtofriend-48.png Forward
Copyright © 2017 Dragonsteel Entertainment, LLC. All rights reserved.
You're getting this email because you signed up at the Brandon Sanderson website.

Our mailing address is:
Dragonsteel Entertainment, LLC

open.php?u=7d056bb7596a3e617f82004b2&id=0b3174094a&e=a6e1d1fe34

Edited by JoyBlu

Sorry for the double post. I can’t figure out the formatting for the above email copy.  I hope the information is helpful. 

4 hours ago, old aggie said:

My order went through within 4 minutes of that time, and my number is 940. As near as anyone could tell, these are NOT book numbers - they are just order processing numbers. I think (but not sure) that the wristband number is more likely to be a book number .

So I placed two different orders for books. The first order was for 2 books. When I received the Oathbringer Release Pickup Ticket email today it had both my signed book numbers. (Both in the 1000 range, sequential to each other. ) listed  

a few hours later I received an email for my second order (that I only placed a few days ago) with a book number just below 4000. 

I’m pretty positive the book numbers were in the emails that were sent out today. 

3 hours ago, snipexe said:

@Ace0003What is the line Count now? (Thinking of camping out, but can only do it tomorrow)

At the end of Saturday, the line count is 34. We had lots of people stop by today saying that they would be back tomorrow. 65 spots remaining! I will keep the updates coming tomorrow.

Question about wrist bands. I preordered a book assuming that would be sufficient to get me into the signing. But it sounds like wristbands are first come first serve. I can't get there until about 6pm on Monday. Does that mean there is a chance I won't be able to pick up my book?

54 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:

So it looks like capacity is just under 2500. For the convention center in a theater setup. 

What is the line looking like now? If there is still slots I may come down later tonight. 

7DA0C1BC-0F6D-4955-90BD-5C874315E4C8.jpeg

Line count is up to 46. Still lots of room! 

7 minutes ago, Kalinar said:

Question about wrist bands. I preordered a book assuming that would be sufficient to get me into the signing. But it sounds like wristbands are first come first serve. I can't get there until about 6pm on Monday. Does that mean there is a chance I won't be able to pick up my book?

It all depends on how many people pick up wristbands throughout the day. There is a chance that they could be given out by 6pm. 

So even though I ordered a book a might not get a book if they run out of wrist bands? Sorry if this is common knowledge. The last signing a went to was Arcanum Unbounded and it was set up a bit differently.

Edited by Kalinar
Needed more context

@CaptainRyan and @old aggie, thanks for the responses and the help. I think I've got it all sorted out now. Though that being said, does anyone know if you need any kind of documentation (ie; the pick-up ticket) to get the wristbands? I wasn't thinking so but someone else mentioned it and I want to be sure.

It's tomorrow you guys! Anyone else super excited? I can't wait.

Oh, also is there a thread where I can run the questions I'm thinking of asking by some people, just to make sure that they haven't already been answered or don't make any sense? Thanks!

Edit: Also, will this signing be the same as any other as far as bringing multiple books? (ie; personalize up to 3, but will just sign more) Or will there be more of a cap since this is a much bigger signing? (I couldn't find anything contrary, but also I if there is a rule I don't want to be that jerk who brings multiple books and holds up the line in any way)

Edited by AllomancerSam
Forgot a question

20 minutes ago, Kalinar said:

So even though I ordered a book a might not get a book if they run out of wrist bands? Sorry if this is common knowledge. The last signing a went to was Arcanum Unbounded and it was set up a bit differently.

You will still get your book. You just might not get a “seat” in the convention center. You can still stand in line to get it personalized. You just might not be able to get into the room to hear the reading and group q Q&A.  Read that big email I posted earlier on this page  

Thanks for the info @Ace0003  I’m going to go dig out the sleeping bag. 

Edited by JoyBlu

6 hours ago, AllomancerSam said:

Oh, also is there a thread where I can run the questions I'm thinking of asking by some people, just to make sure that they haven't already been answered or don't make any sense? Thanks!

There have been several places where people have posted hundreds if not thousands of questions and Brandon's answers - Theoryland, Reddit, threads here on the Shard ... I think the new "Arcanum" database thing is supposed to assemble & organise all of it.

But that being said...

Since there's so much information out there, if I were you I would NOT spend the night before Oathbringer combing through stuff - I would just ask him whatever questions I wanted. He's a gracious guy - there are no "stupid questions."

Also, BTW, there are usually people (sort of) eavesdropping on what people ask Brandon + his answers, and they post it later online - it's not the person who asked the question who usually does that. So there probably won't be a way to ask a "private" question so that only you will know his answer.

Hope this helps! and hope to meet you tomorrow!