2017-11-13 [Oathbringer Release Party] Utah Valley Convention Center, Provo

Mason Wheeler

Wow, it's finally almost here!  After more than three years of waiting, Oathbringer is just barely a month away.  And due to a recent job change, I'm in the Provo area and I'll be at the release party! :D

Who all is going to be there?  I'll make sure to bring along my computer to record this historic occasion for the Shard.

Amusingly enough, when Words of Radiance came out, I was living in LA, close enough to go to the San Diego first-day stop and get book number 204.  This time, I get the opportunity to try for an even lower number!  (Not sure I'll make it this time, though, as some unfortunate timing issues prevented me from placing the order as quickly as I'd have liked.  But we'll have to see...)

Anyway, I hope to see a bunch of you guys there!

Edited by Mason Wheeler

46 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

Both myself and my wife will be there.

Awesome! I hope to see you there!

We plan on camping out to get a #1-99 book.

Yeah.  Can't do that; I've got work.

We have VIP tickets.

Same here.  See you guys at the party! :)

I plan on finishing Oathbringer by Tuesday evening. Wooooo! Launch party! Wooooo!

That's pretty ambitious.  I'm definitely going to try to have it done Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest, because Thursday is the GF's birthday and so there'll be essentially no time for reading. :P

I'll be there - my first ever release event! So looking forward to it! I decided to spring for the VIP party too; livin' large. :-)

For WoR, I was the "tour archivist" for Dayton, and that was a real blast. I made dozens of "anticipation spren" (red streamers & ribbons taped to sticks) and passed them out to folks in the audience. We all waved them (and cheered, natch!) when Brandon arrived & he seemed to really enjoy it (even though anticipation spren are supposed to be on the ground, I know...). A photo of that went into the archive scrapbook, I think. I might bring something similar to the OBR party just for me; sorry, no space in my suitcase for spren. ;-)

Over on the main OBR release thread (http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/59669-oathbringer-releasetour-faq/ ), starting on page 3 IIRC, several folks have posted that they'll be there, so you could check it out if you're curious.

See you all there!

• 2 weeks later...

I am definitely going to be there. Wouldn't miss this one for the world.

I do have just a couple of questions actually, and any help would be great.

1. Re: picking up the wristbands. Do I as the attendee actually have to be the one to pick up my wristband? I ask because I actually live several hours away and have classes that morning/early afternoon that I can't miss, so the earliest I can be in Provo will be like 5/6pm and I'm worried that it'll be too late to get one/they'll run out. However, my sister lives only about 10 minutes away. Could she pick it up for me?

2. A friend of mine was supposed to come with me; he ordered his book and everything was set, but then it turned out he has another commitment that night that he cannot miss. Could I pick up his book along with mine (with the proper codes etc etc) or will he just have to get that shipped to him?

Other than that, I am so excited! I got to go to the Arcanum Unbounded release party last year and it was a blast. I can only imagine that this one will be ten times better.

55 minutes ago, AllomancerSam said:

I do have just a couple of questions actually, and any help would be great.

Here is the post on Brandon's site: https://brandonsanderson.com/oathbringer-release-party/
There is a lot of good info there but it does leave a few things vague. I'll do my best to clarify on your questions but, in all honesty, some of these questions might be better asked to either the BYU bookstore or to team Sanderson.

56 minutes ago, AllomancerSam said:

1. Re: picking up the wristbands. Do I as the attendee actually have to be the one to pick up my wristband?

There are three wristbands available: regular, VIP, and what I will call early-bird (for those who want a numbered book in the 1-99 range).
1. re Regular from the blog post (emphasis mine): "Wristbands for the Book Release Party are FREE and will be handed out starting at 10:00 am in the UVCC North Lobby.
A wristband guarantees you a seat. Limited seating. You may pick up ONE wristband for yourself and ONE wristband for another person."

I'd say it is ok for your sister to pick up a wristband for you as she is, technically, allowed to get two. Be aware though that you will be asking your sister to, in all likelihood, get there very early, wait a long time in line, and listen to people constantly theorize about Shadolin or Shalladin! It would be prudent, I think, for her to get there quite a bit before 10:00am to guarantee a wristband.

2. re VIP from the blog post: The VIP event does not start until 7:00pm. It seems like you can make it before then so, if you bought a VIP ticket, you can pick up your reserved wristband at the VIP party itself (I think).

3. re early-bird from the blog post (emphasis original): "IMPORTANT! Numbered wristbands 1–99 will be issued at the BYU Bookstore at 7:45 am on Monday, November 13th.
PLEASE NOTE! All campers must still pre–order their book!
We will only give numbered wristbands to the first 99 campers. You must have your barcode as proof of purchase. Your numbered wristband will guarantee you a seat at Brandon’s Presentation and Q&A."

So, if your sister is willing to camp out in front of the BYU bookstore for you from Sunday evening until 7:45am Monday morning then, if she has your pre-order barcode as proof, she will (most likely) be able to secure you ONE wristband this way.

1 hour ago, AllomancerSam said:

2. A friend of mine was supposed to come with me; he ordered his book and everything was set, but then it turned out he has another commitment that night that he cannot miss. Could I pick up his book along with mine (with the proper codes etc etc) or will he just have to get that shipped to him?

I am actually helping out another Sharder in a similar way. I will be picking up their pre-ordered book and taking it through the personalization line for them then shipping it to them afterwards. As far as we can tell, as long as this Sharder sends me their pre-order barcode (which will come closer to the event via email) then I can pick up their book. It would be best, however, to call the BYU bookstore and triple check this as I certainly do not want to be responsible for a mishap! :)  

On 10/24/2017 at 1:32 PM, AllomancerSam said:

...1. Re: picking up the wristbands. Do I as the attendee actually have to be the one to pick up my wristband? I ask because I actually live several hours away and have classes that morning/early afternoon that I can't miss, so the earliest I can be in Provo will be like 5/6pm and I'm worried that it'll be too late to get one/they'll run out. However, my sister lives only about 10 minutes away. Could she pick it up for me?...

What @Captain Ryan said works, UNLESS they actually put the wristband onto the person when they give it out - - that would mean that the wristband would be on your sister's arm, which you could not bring with you to the signing without a lot of mess & getting in trouble with the law. (Just kidding!)

Other people have to have been in your situation before - there will be a solution.

Less than 3 weeks to go now!

I will be there. I’m so excited!!!

I’ll be wearing a red scarf around my neck. (And if I have to wait in a long line I’m bringing Warbreaker with me to reread) Please come say hi if you see me or message me on here.

Not doing the VIP because I’ll be bringing my son and his “friend” and mumbling “no mating” under my breath the entire night! 

Edited by JoyBlu

4 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

For those of you planning on camping out, I will be there with my wife and a friend. We will probably bring a board game or two and some Commander decks for Magic. If you enjoy board games or Magic, I hope you will join us!

If you get tired of sitting outside, feel free to stop by my office (318 TMCB).  I have 4 commander decks there.

On 10/31/2017 at 9:19 PM, Lightning said:

If you get tired of sitting outside, feel free to stop by my office (318 TMCB).  I have 4 commander decks there.

Well, the plan is to be out front Sunday evening to Monday morning. Do you happen to hold office hours overnight on a Sunday? :D

If you get in line early (for the first 100), a wristband will get you the book corresponding to your number in line. If you don't want to wait in line, you can show up to the event (which I believe starts at like 7pmish) at the Utah Valley Convention Center WITH YOUR BARCODE that was emailed to you, and you'll be given a wristband then, which you'll then use to get your book.

If you want to be there for Brandon's talking/Q&A, you have to get a SECOND wristband from the Utah Valley Convention Center on Monday Nov 13 starting at 10:00am.

Also, while I'm not in the line (yet), I'll be keeping track of the length and such. So far there's 5 people waiting in line!

@Zas678 Wow. Those five are some dedicated souls. Camping out an entire week!? Especially in below freezing temps?

Also, I'm surprised BYU allowed a line to form during the school week when tons of traffic passes by that area. I was thinking the earliest they would let people camp there would be Friday afternoon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I'm not planning on camping out for the first 100 books but I DO want a wristband for Brandon's Q&A. All I've read is that they are being handed out at 10:00 AM north of UVU Convention Center. But how crazy will that line be? Are people camping out for that, too? How many are they giving out and how many people going to the party do they expect will NOT get into Brandon's Q&A. I'm willing to go several hours early but I'd rather not if I'm going to be the only one there for a few hours...