Preferred Power Poll

MistbornAlpaca

Preferred Magic System  

195 members have voted

1. 1. What power would you rather have?

8 hours ago, Brightlord Maelstrom said:

Well, part of the problem I see if Connection. You can change your past, but you might not be able to change where you are from, etc. In the end, if it was impossible for you to have ever gained a power, then I don't think you could use Forgery to give it to yourself. You can't rewrite your past into having been born on Taldain as a child of a Sand Master for example.

Here's an idea. Please let me know if this wouldn't work. What if you were the child of a worldhopper, who had traveled to Taldain. You could potentially rewrite your past so that your parent had settled down on Taldain and had a child with a Sand Master. Maybe?

2 hours ago, MasterJack said:

Here's an idea. Please let me know if this wouldn't work. What if you were the child of a worldhopper, who had traveled to Taldain. You could potentially rewrite your past so that your parent had settled down on Taldain and had a child with a Sand Master. Maybe?

See that's where I think if you had enough knowledge of the cosmere, why couldn't you write a backstory that you were born to worldhoppers from any planet. As long as the lie was well worked out, why wouldn't it work? The only limit I see is that most forgers wouldn't know enough to make a mark that could stick. Now it might not work for long, but how long do you really need.

I would honestly choose Feruchemist solely for the ability to store knowledge - all of the other cool stuff would just be awesome side benefits.

I am a chemist, and this single ability would make my life so much easier on a daily basis.

• 5 months later...

Wow, everyone had the same idea I did. Full feruchemist. Copperminds and zinc in school/work would be amazing. Go to a buffet and fill your bendalloy metalminds (what? It would be so worth it to see the owner's face) eavesdrop when they think you can't hear you, etc. allomancer would be good, but not as goos in my opinion. Same with surgebinding.

As a Feruchemist, you could just sit down for an hour or so every evening and read a book while simultaneously filling your metalminds. You can fill iron, steel, pewter, tin, zinc, brass,  bronze(a bit), chromium, gold, and electrum all at the same time with little to no inconvenience. You could also fill copperminds with the book you're reading, if you wanted to keep it in your coppermind. You could also fill aluminum and duralumin if you wanted to, for whatever reason. Nicrosil, bendalloy, and cadmium couldn't really be filled this way, true, but cadmium is always a bit difficult to fill and bendalloy can easily be filled at other times(see above), and you can fill Nicrosil at almost any other time with no adverse effects(though that goes for most of the others here)

I have to pick being a mistborn, it may not be as powerful as Dor related magic or feruchemy, but I want to be able to "fly" with out having to deal with drawing Aons, the Nahel bond or awakening my kitchen towels. Plus, I know I can find the things needed for my art anywhere. Also, I don't have to wear metal minds, or turn silver to use my powers. It is a very stealthy magic if you know how to use it right. As far as surgebinding, the Nahel bond is too much work and too limiting and Fabrials take to long to make. But I can see how a person would want the showier powers. Carrying all the metalminds makes you look powerful and being an Elantrian is very distinctive.

I ended up choosing mistborn because I love the versatility of all the different powers and I don't think that power lines would be a huge problem. Plus, being able to fly would be so cool, and there's absolutely tons of metal to push off of. Time bubbles would be soooo useful. I would never have to wait for things with cadmium, and bendalloy would give me extra time if need it. Electrum would be really useful for like game shows or stuff like that. Tin and pewter would be awesome, as long as you don't become a savant. Brass and zinc would be cool, but very immoral and brain-washy.

Of course, I will admit that feruchemy is very powerful, but I'd rather be a twinborn or fullborn if I had the option.

On 4/11/2018 at 11:03 AM, kevinivek2 said:

What‘s the dark alley?

Well, discovering the cosmere and the Shard is going down the rabbit hole. The DA is the rabbit hole from the rabbit hole. If you are interested come check out the guild forum.

21 hours ago, Aurora the Rioter said:

I picked Mistborn (my name kinda indicates that I want to be an allomancer).  However, after reading people comments I’m now conviced that Feruchemy is the better option.

Hemalurgy gets you the best everything.

On 4/10/2018 at 3:07 PM, Quickbronze said:

As a Feruchemist, you could just sit down for an hour or so every evening and read a book while simultaneously filling your metalminds. You can fill iron, steel, pewter, tin, zinc, brass,  bronze(a bit), chromium, gold, and electrum all at the same time with little to no inconvenience. You could also fill copperminds with the book you're reading, if you wanted to keep it in your coppermind. You could also fill aluminum and duralumin if you wanted to, for whatever reason. Nicrosil, bendalloy, and cadmium couldn't really be filled this way, true, but cadmium is always a bit difficult to fill and bendalloy can easily be filled at other times(see above), and you can fill Nicrosil at almost any other time with no adverse effects(though that goes for most of the others here)

But, you would have a heck of a time getting on planes.

2 minutes ago, ElephantEarwax said:

Well, discovering the cosmere and the Shard is going down the rabbit hole. The DA is the rabbit hole from the rabbit hole. If you are interested come check out the guild forum.

Hemalurgy gets you the best everything.

But, you would have a heck of a time getting on planes.

Well, I think it would be ever harder to get on a plane with Hemalurgy.  At least with Feurchemy you can take off your bracers and other jewelry. You would have an akward conversation about why you have metal spikes in your body.

@Quickbronze you beat me to posting this.  I was writing this at and then you responded.  You’re quick just like your name. 

We are very grateful to everyone on this thread who's been advertising their Cosmere powers. This will go a long way in helping the Dark Alley find new victims - sorry, research assistants - for our experiments.

From the Dark Alley R&D Labs