Preferred Power Poll

MistbornAlpaca

Preferred Magic System  

195 members have voted

1. 1. What power would you rather have?

11 hours ago, Lord Maelstrom said:

Also, my army wouldn't work so well on Roshar, seeing as Shardblades don't care what material you are using. 

That's true... unless the material is either aluminum or significantly invested. I agree an army of lifeless would be torn to shreds by shardbearers, but that's why I suggested Type IV biochromatic entities made of metal statues soulcast from corpses. This is not a lifeless at all, and should be invested enough to block a shardblade. I guess we will know for sure once Nightblood gets drawn and clashes with one. 

21 hours ago, Trellium said:

I agree an army of lifeless would be torn to shreds by shardbearers, but that's why I suggested Type IV biochromatic entities made of metal statues soulcast from corpses. This is not a lifeless at all, and should be invested enough to block a shardblade. I guess we will know for sure once Nightblood gets drawn and clashes with one.

Wait, you mean you want me to give nightblood legs????? Are you insane? Type IV, unlike Lifeless also wouldn't need to obey my orders. And depending on what command phrase I gave them, would also kill be on the spot.

Sorry, it's just that the concept of Nightblood being able to kill without needing to be wielded scares me. In many ways, the wielder is the constraint on Nightblood.

Feruchemy is much more suitable for modern day IMO. Being able to control my temperature and store speed is it's selling point for me. 

Coinshots would have a heck of a hard time leaping around cause of power lines etc. It'd also be really hard would it be to find the correct alloy percentages.

Aon'dor would be really weak on earth.

With awakening you won't exactly be able to collect breaths...

Surgebinding... Not possible. No spheres on earth. Unless you have alternate ways of getting stormlight.

You'd get odd looks as a dakhor monk.

Hemulurgy would also give you odd looks.

Nothing wrong about shardbearing (except the armor problems)

Conclusion: Feruchemy is da best

I chose Surgebinding, I like the idea of spren, and having somebody listen when I talk. Also the powers are cool but I chose Surgebinding for the Nahel Bond with a spren. I would say I would want to be a Windrunner, but I hate heights. Maybe an Edgedancer, I like the idea of remembering those who have been forgotten. 

Feruchemy is my pick of choice. It is just the most versatile power. You can store breath, health, food, water, warmth for adventuring. The mental powers are awesome for most scholar activities. And with the combat abilities you can probably one-shot a full shardbearer. Use speed to get behind him and then a huge amount of strenght to flatten him. Remember Sazed killed a koloss with a single hit. Or just pull a Kaladin and stab him through the eyeslit using super speed.

And the saving up stuff could be easily done during normal life. Just think about how much you can store up while bingewatching your favourite show.

4 minutes ago, Krios said:

Feruchemy is my pick of choice. It is just the most versatile power. You can store breath, health, food, water, warmth for adventuring. The mental powers are awesome for most scholar activities. And with the combat abilities you can probably one-shot a full shardbearer. Use speed to get behind him and then a huge amount of strenght to flatten him. Remember Sazed killed a koloss with a single hit. Or just pull a Kaladin and stab him through the eyeslit using super speed.

And the saving up stuff could be easily done during normal life. Just think about how much you can store up while bingewatching your favourite show.

I love where this discussion went. After all of these points, I totally agree that Feruchemy is the most versatile. And binge-watching, that's a great point. However, at what point would you be able to store sight and not inconvenience yourself? Same with health. Although, I still agree. Although if I had a ready source of infinite Stormlight, I would prefer Surgebinding, in the modern world however, I think Feruchemy is the best. (I would also never fail a test :) )

3 hours ago, kenod said:

Kandra isn't included...

I suppose I intended for that to be encompassed by Hemalurgic powers. Although technically, having the right Hemalurgic spikes doesn't make one a kandra. My definition of power with this was something that would modify a normal human, whereas kandra are a totally separate race.

8 minutes ago, Trellium said:

Then just pick Elantrian, catch up to Hoid, steal back the moon scepter, and then you can Forge to your hearts content. The Dor is the Dor. 

Except it's easier to simply choose the Forger option that was just recently added. ;)

11 hours ago, MasterJack said:

I love where this discussion went. After all of these points, I totally agree that Feruchemy is the most versatile. And binge-watching, that's a great point. However, at what point would you be able to store sight and not inconvenience yourself? Same with health. Although, I still agree. Although if I had a ready source of infinite Stormlight, I would prefer Surgebinding, in the modern world however, I think Feruchemy is the best. (I would also never fail a test :) )

Take it from someone with glasses, who didnt realize he needed them for about a year, if you only store a small amount of sight (I'm assuming you would become shortsighted.) you wouldnt notice. Same with health if you just store the proverbial drop in the ocean, but do this everyday for hours it will add up without too much inconvenience. Also your mention of sight gave me an idea.

Imagine you eat something really delicious and you could just draw from your stored up sense of smell and taste. How much more pleasurable would that be. There are probably more applications of this .... - especially with touch and smell. :P

Edited by Krios

11 hours ago, Krios said:

Take it from someone with glasses, who didnt realize he needed them for about a year, if you only store a small amount of sight (I'm assuming you would become shortsighted.) you wouldnt notice. Same with health if you just store the proverbial drop in the ocean, but do this everyday for hours it will add up without too much inconvenience. Also your mention of sight gave me an idea.

Imagine you eat something really delicious and you could just draw from your stored up sense of smell and taste. How much more pleasurable would that be. There are probably more applications of this .... - especially with touch and smell. :P

I can eat food I dislike no problemo like that.

1 minute ago, Penumbra said:

Mistborn. It's the most utility that also includes some version of "flying". It's a close call to being a surgebinder with progression though, because healing people is cool and my chili plants would survive.

One word, "Powerlines"

I chose feruchemy for the reasons people have explained, I think if you weren't worried about storing up massive amounts you could store up attributes fairly easily. And some things you could store lot of without too much inconvenience. Though elantrian would actually be pretty awesome, assuming you had access to the full extent of the power.

Also people keep bringing up power lines and I don't know what cities have so many power lines it would be a problem, but even if you do power lines are metal so you could just fly above them and use them as an anchor 

On 10/20/2017 at 9:24 AM, Waymaker said:

Not like you can wear armor and/or long sleeves your whole life...

Not so much on armor, but you'd be surprised what people can get away with on certain career paths. (Non-athletic career, no mandatory physical, you can keep your shirt on, etc..). A little careful planning, and you'd have no problems at all

On 10/21/2017 at 2:05 AM, Krios said:

Imagine you eat something really delicious and you could just draw from your stored up sense of smell and taste. How much more pleasurable would that be.

The level of plain and reserved is so out of place it hurts. Haven't you met the people on here? Everything needs to be flashy, awesome powers :) Take the upvote anyway, it's nice to see someone who isn't on a theoretical power-trip for once.

Edited by The One Who Connects

2 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

The level of plain and reserved is so out of place it hurts. Haven't you met the people on here? Everything needs to be flashy, awesome powers :) Take the upvote anyway, it's nice to see someone who isn't on a theoretical power-trip for once.

I chose Elantrian because AonDor can be properly understood and studied. Not the least advantage is the agelessness which means I'll have a whole more time to dig into programming Dor. I would make it my goal to fling Arelon into Information Era.

23 hours ago, Overstorm said:

I chose Elantrian because AonDor can be properly understood and studied. Not the least advantage is the agelessness which means I'll have a whole more time to dig into programming Dor. I would make it my goal to fling Arelon into Information Era.

Wanna work together Overstorm?

I chose forger, but I'm not sure my head-cannon holds up. Do you think it's possible for a forger to make an essence mark that would give them access to all the other powers. I could see a problem with something like surgebinding that needs a spren. But surely it would be pretty easy to make a mark that would attract a cryptic. I could see them loving the lies that a forger can make. 

5 hours ago, QuantumHarmonix said:

I chose forger, but I'm not sure my head-cannon holds up. Do you think it's possible for a forger to make an essence mark that would give them access to all the other powers. I could see a problem with something like surgebinding that needs a spren. But surely it would be pretty easy to make a mark that would attract a cryptic. I could see them loving the lies that a forger can make. 

Well, part of the problem I see if Connection. You can change your past, but you might not be able to change where you are from, etc. In the end, if it was impossible for you to have ever gained a power, then I don't think you could use Forgery to give it to yourself. You can't rewrite your past into having been born on Taldain as a child of a Sand Master for example.