Harakeke

I'm working on revamping my women's script primer pages and would like to include some cool sentences for folks to practice their penmanship with.

Can anyone compose a ketek that includes every letter in the Alethi alphabet? This includes Th, Sh, and Ch, but not necessarily X, Q, W, or C.

A ketek is a form of holy Vorin poetry which reads the same forward and backward (allowing for changes in verb form), and is also divisible into five sections, each of which also expresses a complete thought.

For example:

Above silence, the illuminating storms—dying storms—illuminate the silence above.

Alight, winds approach deadly approaching winds alight. 

The best ketek(s) will be immortalized in the Translation Guide, plus I'll write it out in the women's script for you!

Edited by Harakeke

It doesn't make a lot of sense, and is sort of questionable as a ketek since I switched from adjective to adverb a few times. It does use all the letters, though. 

Buzzing thunderously stops
To avoid chafing my shots
jokingly healing joking shots
My chafing avoids
To stop thunderous buzzing

I tried for 20 mins to come up with a great one.. instead could only think of a short one about Honor, Cultivation and Odium which the Vorin religion would probably call heresy but none the less.

Two were reigning gods

Until peace ended and war

The violent third

Violent the war and ended peace

Until gods reigning were two.

Edited by Velvet Thunder

4 hours ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

I might try another one. @Harakeke, if I do, would it be better to not use q, w, x, or c at all or it's okay to use them but not necessary? For the first ketek I did, I chose to avoid them altogether, but that came at the expense of ketek meaning. 

It's OK to use them - they're just written using other letters. For example, the English word "cowpox" would be written "KOUPOKS" in the women's script. (And that's using the simple Navani-style transliteration method. Jasnah-style phonetic transliteration gets even trickier.) 

2 hours ago, Harakeke said:

It's OK to use them - they're just written using other letters. For example, the English word "cowpox" would be written "KOUPOKS" in the women's script. (And that's using the simple Navani-style transliteration method. Jasnah-style phonetic transliteration gets even trickier.) 

Is it okay to account for this in my letter usage? Like instead of using a k, using a word that contains a hard c? 

2 hours ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

Is it okay to account for this in my letter usage? Like instead of using a k, using a word that contains a hard c? 

Sure - the goal is to have a sentence that uses each symbol in the women's script so that folks can practice their writing. 

Please don't post Oathbringer spoilers. I'm waiting to read the book when it comes out. 

52 minutes ago, Harakeke said:

Sure - the goal is to have a sentence that uses each symbol in the women's script so that folks can practice their writing. 

Please don't post Oathbringer spoilers. I'm waiting to read the book when it comes out. 

I have been trying to come up with something that isn't nonsense and for the life of me I'm failing... 

A Ketek is complex in itself. Add in all the letters and I'm coming up with nothing. 

Great work so far! Here are some quick-and-dirty transcriptions.

20 hours ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

Buzzing thunderously stops
To avoid chafing my shots
jokingly healing joking shots
My chafing avoids
To stop thunderous buzzing

Untitled-1.jpg.5e4707bfa7242a4934df3d1a22f09d0b.jpg

13 hours ago, Velvet Thunder said:

Two were reigning gods
Until peace ended and war
The violent third
Violent the war and ended peace
Until gods reigning were two.

Untitled-2.jpg.daba88aa69e341ffca66513560dd9c9d.jpg

Here's my own contribution, although I'm not particularly happy with the last stanza:

Spren of honor, keep clear / Each judge my radiant vow / Before this ash and haze and ash / This before vowing, Radiant my judge / Each clear keep, honoring of spren.

• This ketek, attributed to the Heraldic Epoch poet Harakekarah, was purportedly inspired by the last desperate assault against voidbringer strongholds during the Final Desolation. See page 82 of Shadows Remembered and note the undertext.

Edited by Harakeke

Radiant Knights striking justly/Denying cowardly Heralds Betrayal/Zealous and frightening champion Taln/Champions fright and zeal/Betraying heraldic cowards/Denying just striking Knights Radiant. 

Best I got and I still feel like it's subpar. 

Thanks for the translation! It looks cool, especially the word my. 

Foggy everlasting haze of injustice 
Broken by shattered oaths 
Much perfidy
Much oaths shattered by breaking
Injustice of hazy everlasting fog

This ketek is inspired by the plight of the spren killed in the Recreance. Speculation on what being kind of dead feels like. 

Edited by thegatorgirl00
Make ketek better

Keteks are hard, but these are looking great! 

On 10/9/2017 at 6:25 PM, Calderis said:

Radiant Knights striking justly/Denying cowardly Heralds Betrayal/Zealous and frightening champion Taln/Champions fright and zeal/Betraying heraldic cowards/Denying just striking Knights Radiant. 

knights.jpg.77dfdf31d80a8cee567008bbbf7bc590.jpg

On 10/9/2017 at 7:46 PM, thegatorgirl00 said:

Foggy everlasting haze of injustice 
Broken by shattered oaths 
Much perfidy
Much oaths shattered by breaking
Injustice of hazy everlasting fog

spren.jpg.a0d273728686d91851dd6500435ae8f4.jpg

And because I couldn't help myself...

TZjVYve.jpg

It really is a beautiful ketek though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had to write a few poems for school, and though "Why not make keteks?" They're based on a chapter in Cry, the Beloved Country, not anything about Brandon Sanderson. I'm pretty proud of these, considering the amount of time I spent on them.

Service in church, come all bereft, all come, church in service.

Speaking, people shake hands, funeral, hands shake, people speaking.

Myself forgotten, I sincerely listen. Sincerely, I forgot myself.

"Look," they said. "Is it death?" It is said. They look.

Just remember. Doesn't seem able. Seemingly doesn't remember justice.

Struggle: Christianity of men versus men of Christ struggling

• 4 weeks later...

Some of these are brilliant. I really like gattorgirls. Here's my attempt I was pretty chuffed with haha.

Odium's wicked weather, Roshar divided. Unite Radiants. Unite divided Roshar, Weather wicked Odium

Edited by Hempknight

"Radiants abound, to live brings honour—eternally—honour brings life to, a bound radiant"

Collected on the fifth day of the week of Chach of the month of March of the year 2018, 16 seconds before death. Subject was a dark eyed labourer of thirty years of age. 

Edited by Hoids humjob
Thought I’d spruce it up a bit

• Chaos locked this topic