Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skyline

[OB] Could Odium's Champion win?

3 posts in this topic

During Dalinars conversation with the Stormfather about the Champion, the Stormfather relates how such a battle would not defeat Odium, only bind him, and buy Roshar more time until he comes back. My thought is this: How would that make for a good ending for the series? I don't think it would. I think we would only be satisfied to see the threat of Odium defeated permanently, which means that either the champion battle can not occur or it will happen mid-series where either it buys only a small amount of time (book 5 interlude) OR what is more likely for a mid-series showdown, the good guys lose. Maybe resulting in the death of Kaladin, Alodin or maybe more likely, Dalinar.

Given the amount of page time the topic has gotten so early in book 3, I'm inclined to believe it will happen sooner than later. It will be a book climax, rather than the final battle.

The other possibility that I'm seeing thrown around is that there will be a new ultimate baddie. Someone we haven't seen yet who will step in for the second arc, making it possible Odium is defeated early. But personally, I don't see it happening. I think Odium is less an 'ultimate bad guy' and more of means to create a dramatic story.

Thoughts?

Has anyone seen any foreshadowing or death-rattles that might imply a major disaster for the good guys?

Edited by Skyline

11 hours ago, Skyline said:

Has anyone seen any foreshadowing or death-rattles that might imply a major disaster for the good guys?

Well, we have that beloved Death Rattle about the suckling child. There has been speculation about that the child is Odiums champion, and that Kaladin will have to kill it to win. If Kaladin is unable to do it, then Odium might win. 

Kind of makes sense. Mistborn was kind of the same structure. The world is kept in a certain state via a series cosmological half measures that the heroes only partially understand and for the Ultimate evil to be undone, those half measures need to be upended for the true conflict to play out/be resolved. 

I think pretty much every prophecy is a bad omen for the good guys. It's all bad stuff going down. Pretty, macro-scale everything we've seen has implied that this whole cosmological conflict is a battle that cannot be won, just fought over and over again. The main characters are living in a world that has been rebuilt on the myth that the war was won for good, but even if the heroes reject that lie they are still faced with a battle that can only be briefly won. 

If this story is about the true end of the cycle, the dams need to burst before evil is vanquished for good/true change occurs.

... meaning perhaps Honor advises Dalinar to force Odium into a champion because it's a way for Odium to WIN... without Roshar itself being too destroyed to deal with whatever comes next.