[OB] Rial - worldhopper?

CosmereQuestioner

So this "Rial" guy seems out of place.

1. "he was a little pale for an Alethi and had dark brown hair." (More of a description than we'd normally see, and specifically [but minor-ly] NOT like the Alethi)

2. Recognized a watch and knew what it was.

Ways to identify him:

Has a habit of rolling a sphere across his knuckles (maybe does this with coins in another world?)  (Wax does this once, but the other descriptors don't seem to fit.)

Has a unique way of talking "ta" instead of "to".

Very perfect salute, yet lazy attitude.

Unfortunately I only have Stormlight in electronic form, and hence cannot search the other books for keywords.

Any ideas?

I always consider if someone is a worldhopper when brandon decides to give someone seemingly random a bit more personality and description. Rial was not an exception! He seems like a likely candidate for this, though his accent was placed by dalinar as being from a region he knew but rarely heard. Perhaps brandon just wanted someone who had a strong personality for a brand new sub-culture that he wanted to explore. (I think it's a region within alethkar near some mountains?)

4 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

.....................................a worldhopping slave?

.....................................nah I don't think so.

I don't think he had been a slave or even a bridgeman. His attitude doesn't fit a former bridgeman. People have slipped into the bridge teams before. Consider all of Lopen's cousins in bridge four. I like the idea of a Worldhopper over a Ghostblood or assassin.

Edited by eveorjoy

12 minutes ago, duladen said:

The way he rolls the sphere over his knuckles immediately made me think of someone rolling coins over their knuckles. Pretty sure this is a worldhopper from ScadRIAL.

And we do have an apparent sighting of Demoux in Urithiru. The Bouncer with the noted scar.

The 17th Shard keeping close to the Alethi while looking for Hoid does make sense.

Edited by IllNsickly
Because I am really good at incomplete thoughts.

20 minutes ago, IllNsickly said:

And we do have an apparent sighting of Demoux in Urithiru. The Bouncer with the noted scar.

The 17th Shard keeping close to the Alethi while looking for Hoid does make sense.

I don't think Jor is Demoux. The attitude doesn't fit at all. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

I don't think Jor is Demoux. The attitude doesn't fit at all. 

Not Jor, the bouncer in the second bar, who didn't say a word, but was described as having a scar, and mentioned as scowling at one point.

The name Rial is an anagram for "liar." Brandon's done this before with Sebarial, an anagram for "base liar." To me, that's a big tip-off. He might even be Sebarial because I think Rial is a Dysian Aimian. At first I thought he was Zahel/Vasher's newest incarnation, but Zahel appears later in the scene, when Rial is also present. But when Rial says, "I’m a new man. Reborn in the bridge crews,” I see a Dysian rearranging itself into a "new man."

It also seems to me a Dysian is uniquely qualified to be the organizational genius Sebarial is. And his "lazy expression" sounds like Sebarial. Of course, that raises questions about Palona. Is she something besides a two-armed Herdazian? Does that explain the couple's calm during the Narak battle?  Sebarial might have reasons to tail Dalinar as a guard and learn things he might not learn as the Highprince of Commerce. Just some speculation to add to the mix.

My first reaction was "this guy sounds just like Wayne!" Then "wait, timelines don't work... but the similarities are too strong to be a coincidence... hmm... a Scadrian world hopper?"

So I'm going with: this is a Scadrian worldhopper. Maybe a Kandra? If not, he's definately part Terris - no mention of Shin eyes. 

But the fact that Rial sounds just like Wayne only makes sense to me if it as an Easter egg for us Sharders.

22 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

My first reaction was "this guy sounds just like Wayne!" Then "wait, timelines don't work.

Wayne also would have no problem imitating local accents. But still, timelines don't work, as AoL is placed between Stormlight 5 and 6. Timetravel (backwards) is not a thing in the Cosmere, is it?

My first reaction was Nazh. But he does not seem to play with stuff like coins or spheres. He did appear in Bridge Four to get a look at their tattoos though, so this could be some other worldhopper from Khriss's entourage, trying to get more information on what's going on there.

Edited by Pattern

I dont think he is a Dysian Aimian, Arclo mentions in Edgedancer that his disguise doesn't hold up under close scrutiny and I doubt any Dysian will.

He could definitely be a worldhopper though, all the signs are there and Scadrial seems likely.