Kandra and Hair

Fourth Of The Night

Alright, this is something that bothers me a lot, especially after the other week where I found out that a Kandra can mimic gametes and a Kandra in a female body could also go through a full pregnancy and birth a viable human offspring:

Why can Kandra not grow hair?

If they can mimic every single other part of a human body, and even produce a viable offspring with mimiced gametes, why is a single protein a problem? Does anyone have any insight into this? Can someone ease my suffering, or does this have to wait until I'm rabid with anticipation at the Oathbringer signing line?

Hair is made of keratin, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratin, and Kandra are not. Kandra can make organs since organs are made of proteins, fats, and other sorts of thinks. The point here is, they are soft. Keratin is a hard substance, and since Kandra are blobs, it is probably every difficult. Kandra actually can grow hair, it just takes forever and so they like to store it so they don't need to regrew it. TenSoon didn't need to eat hair when he grew his fur, it just took a while to turn his blobs into keratin-like proteins.

I know what hair is, I'm a biochemist. <3.

TenSoon grew fur? I thought he just harvested the fur from the wolfhound? He even remarks on the fifth's giving him the bones, hair, and nails from his wolfhound body when he escapes the Homeland. MeLaan also says that they cannot grow hair in SoS.

Everything said in novel AFAIK (I am only on SoS for my re-listening of Mistborn, though, and just past the MeLaan quote about Kandra "Not doing hair", hence the resurgence of my curiosity.) leads us to believe that Kandra cannot grow hair. If this is the case, it makes no sense biologically since they can mimic biological functions of a body. The production of hair from Follicles is a normal biological function. If it truly is because growing hair/nails takes real-time production, then that makes sense.

9 hours ago, Fourth Of The Night said:

I know what hair is, I'm a biochemist. <3.

TenSoon grew fur? I thought he just harvested the fur from the wolfhound? He even remarks on the fifth's giving him the bones, hair, and nails from his wolfhound body when he escapes the Homeland. MeLaan also says that they cannot grow hair in SoS.

Everything said in novel AFAIK (I am only on SoS for my re-listening of Mistborn, though, and just past the MeLaan quote about Kandra "Not doing hair", hence the resurgence of my curiosity.) leads us to believe that Kandra cannot grow hair. If this is the case, it makes no sense biologically since they can mimic biological functions of a body. The production of hair from Follicles is a normal biological function. If it truly is because growing hair/nails takes real-time production, then that makes sense.

My apologies! You know much more about this sort of stuff than me!

• Chaos locked this topic