Szeth and Nightblood

fizsanity

Hello All! 

I am very new here and this my first theory post! Very excited to discuss this! If this has been posted before i apologize, I am still trying to learn the ins and outs so your patience is appreciated. :)

That being said, Here is my theory about Szeth and Nightblood. We know that Nightblood feeds on breath when drawn (or in this case stromlight). However, since losing his honorblade, Szeth has also lost his ability to draw in stormlight, making him unable to draw Nightblood. So my theory/question is, would it be possible for Szeth to supplement his inability to draw in stormlight with Hemalurgy?

Welcome.

you might find this topic of interest, though there are several on the subject of Nightblood on Roshar as well

You're theory might be plausible, but it would require someone on Roshar to be familiar with the process of Hemalurgy, which I don't think there's any evidence for.

For now, my theory is either

1. as a heavily invested object, possibly akin to an honorblade, Nighblood can actually grant the ability to draw in investure 

or 2. Nightblood can feed off of stormlight in spheres Szeth is carrying and not on his own innate investure.

edit:

Edited by Wreith
found another directly relevant thread

2 hours ago, Wreith said:

2. Nightblood can feed off of Stormlight in spheres Szeth is carrying and not on his own Innate Investiture.

There's a WoB(that I am still struggling to find) saying that an Elantrian would have to physically swing Nightblood through a drawn Aon in order for them to use it to fuel Nightblood. Based on that, I imagine that just having spheres nearby isn't good enough.

2 hours ago, fizsanity said:

So my theory/question is, would it be possible for Szeth to supplement his inability to draw in Stormlight with Hemalurgy?

I.. really don't know if "capacity to draw in Stormlight" is something that Hemalurgy is capable of stealing. Never thought about that before.

15 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I.. really don't know if "capacity to draw in Stormlight" is something that Hemalurgy is capable of stealing. Never thought about that before.

There's a WoB somewhere that to get surgebinding, you would have to spike the spren and the Radiant. I'm not sure how that relates to just the intake of stormlight.

here: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/59412-gencon-2017/#comment-598344

On 8/19/2017 at 0:13 PM, supersteve524 said:

Just asked this at his signing:

Q:If I wanted to hemalurgically acquire a power from First of the Sun, which metal would the spike need to be?

A:This is going to be pretty complicated, but several metals would work.

Q:Would it involve connection between the person being spiked and the bird?

A:Well it would be even harder than on Roshar, where you need to somehow spike the spren and also the Radiant.  You would need to spike the bird and steal the power, but also spike the person and steal connection.

not the original that I was looking for, but contains the statement.
Edited by Wreith
found WoB

4 hours ago, Wreith said:

1. as a heavily invested object, possibly akin to an honorblade, Nighblood can actually grant the ability to draw in investure

That would be very interesting. especially given the theory about his cognitive presence. I wonder, then, how his abilities due to the bond would relate to surgebinding. I Saw this topic in the cosmere theories.

OUTIS

If an Elantrian bonded to a Seon and traveled to Roshar, would that act as a Nahel bond?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It would act very very similarly, yes. But it would be like… it wouldn't necesarily do the exact same things. It would be treated the exact same way, but wouldn't grant the same powers.

TAGS

seon ,  nahel bond ,  rosha

This quote stood out to me, because like seons, Nightblood is not from Roshar. So if he could give Szeth the ability to draw in stromlight (among other things), would then all the stormlight Szeth draws in go right back into wielding Nightblood? I assume it would take a vast amount considering the thread about stormlight's ratio to breath. And in this capacity, his bond would act identical to that of an honorblade in that it grants abilities but requires an absurd amount of stromlight to use.

4 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

There's a WoB(that I am still struggling to find) saying that an Elantrian would have to physically swing Nightblood through a drawn Aon in order for them to use it to fuel Nightblood. Based on that, I imagine that just having spheres nearby isn't good enough.

I've found these:

On being asked if an Elantrian could wield Nightblood, he said yes it's possible but would be very dangerous - you'd have to figure out a way to connect Nightblood with a local source of Investiture.

source

Questioner

So you said that different Investitures from different worlds can fuel different Investitures, right? Would that mean that you could potentially use Stormlight for Allomancy and/or Feruchemy.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, a little harder with the metallic arts than, for instance, Nightblood is the easiest example. He can just feed on whatever investiture is around.

Questioner

Could he feed on the Dor from...

Brandon Sanderson

He could totally feed on the Dor.

Questioner

Would you need to have a special sheathe to do that or?

Brandon Sanderson

No, what you would have to do for him on Elantris is you would have to open some conduit to the Dor that's persistent, like a light or something, and he will suck through that, he would probably end up sucking the whole aon.

Questioner

Sucking Elantris itself?

Brandon Sanderson

Sucking Elantris itself would work, yeah, but you're gonna be in trouble if he sucks up the whole thing, which is totally possible.

[source currently forbidden] It's Barnes & Noble from June 11th 2016. If there's a floating transcript floating out there then I'm sorry I didn't find it but... I'm too lazy for that.

Here's one about Szeth and Nightblood:

Question

I know that there's three sorts of forms that magic presents itself in, the liquid and the solid and air. What would Breath be?

Brandon Sanderson

Breath is definitely like Mist, it is in the form of the air.

Question

And is Stormlight the same?

Brandon Sanderson

Stormlight is the same. Good questions!

Question

Would Vasher be able to use Stormlight in the same way that he can get Breath?

Brandon Sanderson

That would not be immediately easy, but Stormlight could feed Nightblood.

Question

Which is why Szeth can wield Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

Eh, you'll have to see if but yes. That could theoretically happen. You can use most of the magics on most of the planets to fuel the other magics, if you know how to do it, it is not easy.

source

There are probably a few more out there though, like the one about feeding Nightblood by tapping copperminds but I think those three cover it.

14 hours ago, Overstorm said:

I've found these:

Here's one about Szeth and Nightblood:

There are probably a few more out there though, like the one about feeding Nightblood by tapping copperminds but I think those three cover it.

These all indicate that Nightblood can feed on stormlight, but that's not really the question. The question at hand is how can Szeth use Nightblood since he's lost his ability to draw in stormlight, no longer having access to an Honorblade.

edit:

I realize having replied that you may have merely been assisting The One Who Connects in his search. in which case, kudos.

endEdit

18 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

I thought about this, and it seems to me that if proximity isn't enough, then maybe he could either strike through an invested gem or possibly affix a stone to Nightblood like they do Shardblades.

I'm not exactly sure how the second one would work because Nightblood is unlikely to change form to accommodate it like the Shards do. Also it would probably have to be chaged/reinfused after each use.

Edited by Wreith

50 minutes ago, Wreith said:

I realize having replied that you may have merely been assisting The One Who Connects in his search. in which case, kudos.

That was it, yeah

Then I added the third WoB which said Szeth could theoretically Invest himself with Stormlight like Vasher does since it was related to the question at hand.

21 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

I.. really don't know if " to draw in Stormlight" is something that Hemalurgy is capable of stealing. Never thought about that before.

Well, every Allomantic Power Will be good to fuel Nightblood. Of course this requires a crossover that Brandon Will never allow in SA.

By the way Feruchemy Will be good too for this (and extremely unlikely as answer for the SA's standalone status

On 10/3/2017 at 6:34 PM, Overstorm said:

Brandon Sanderson

No, what you would have to do is open some conduit to the Dor that's persistent, like a light or something, and he will suck through that, he would probably end up sucking the whole Aon.

Questioner

Sucking Elantris itself?

Brandon Sanderson

Sucking Elantris itself would work, yeah, but you're gonna be in trouble if he sucks up the whole thing, which is totally possible.

[source currently forbidden] It's Barnes & Noble from June 11th 2016.

Barnes and Noble... Forgot there was even a signing there, so that's on me. It's also the entry I was searching for in your WoB Stack Exchange topic, so that's that settled too

• Chaos locked this topic