How far back was this planned?

Stormrunner1730

How far back in the writing process do people think Brandon planned on bringing Kelsier back to life?  I have mixed feelings about the topic, and hope that it wasn't recently.  Part of what I loved about the Final Empire, was that Brandon was willing to kill off the person that the story was about.  I initially felt cheated that he would bring Kelsier back.  Ultimately, I think it works because of how it was done in Secret History.  I also trust that Brandon has some really cool stuff planned with the character.  I just felt kind of miffed initially.   

Kelsier ALWAYS was meant to be involved reread Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages are you will see his touch. Secret History wasn't just an after thought is was telling us  the behind the scenes story that was already in place. now not al of us guessed he was still around and kicking but the clues are there.

Kelsier was always there. Mistborn trilogy was written back-to-back; Brandon had all these things already in the story.

Of course, no planning is perfect: for example it was supposed to be Kelsier who whispered to Sazed that the rings that Marsh shot at him were his metalminds but Brandon realised it cannot be Kelsier as he was too far, imprisoned in the Well. Now it was just Sazed's internal monologue.

Brandon is actually kind of unclear on this. At best guess in draft A of TFE Kell was supposed to stay dead. By the time Brandon wrote draft A of HOA Kelsier had decided that he was sticking around. (Brandon's annotations mention that Kell doesn't listen to him.) Then Brandon rewrote the books, foreshadowing from epigraph one.

By this time Brandon likely had a clearer idea of what he wanted out of the Greater Mistborn series. This is also where the proto SH probably got written and Brandon determined Kell's future role. 

So... during the initial writing of TFE Kelsier was probably not intended to return. But the Survivor being the Survivor decided to come back anyway... and Brandon had no choice but to write it that way. Hmph. Pushy characters...

As mentioned, Brandon left hints in the original trilogy that Kelsier was dead but not gone. For example, the second voice that Spook hears, and which Vin hears as she Ascends. He explicitly says this was Kelsier's voice in the annotations. Brandon has been dropping additional hints to this effect for years; for example when he wrote up his idea of how a Kelsier/Moiraine fight would go he has the former drop hints that interesting things could be done with hemalurgy...

So yeah, whatever might have been the case as he was in the process of writing the books, by the time we got them he had firmly decided that Kelsier was going to remain a participant in the story in some form.

17 hours ago, Weltall said:

As mentioned, Brandon left hints in the original trilogy that Kelsier was dead but not gone. For example, the second voice that Spook hears, and which Vin hears as she Ascends. He explicitly says this was Kelsier's voice in the annotations. Brandon has been dropping additional hints to this effect for years; for example when he wrote up his idea of how a Kelsier/Moiraine fight would go he has the former drop hints that interesting things could be done with hemalurgy...

So yeah, whatever might have been the case as he was in the process of writing the books, by the time we got them he had firmly decided that Kelsier was going to remain a participant in the story in some form.

That link (the Kelsier/Moiraine fight) becomes hilarious with knowledge of SH.  

"Please," Kelsier said.  "I already saved the world.  It only took me one book, I'll add."  

Edited by Landis963

23 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

A book and a novella. Not quite one book, but less than two...

Last I checked, a novella was a type of book.  :D EDIT: Also, Kelsier didn't exactly save the world in TFE.  

Edited by Landis963

• Chaos locked this topic