Dragonsteel chapter(s)

I recommend reading [Redacted] as "magic." The purpose of these chapters is to show what the Bridge Four sequence was like before Kaladin came along. The magic Jerick is using really has very little to do with the Bridge Four plot, and I felt it gave away too much that Brandon is likely to use in the future.

5 minutes ago, PeterAhlstrom said:

I recommend reading [Redacted] as "magic." The purpose of these chapters is to show what the Bridge Four sequence was like before Kaladin came along. The magic Jerick is using really has very little to do with the Bridge Four plot, and I felt it gave away too much that Brandon is likely to use in the future.

Thanks Peter I had a feeling that was the case.

19 minutes ago, PeterAhlstrom said:

Next time can we get the redacted parts with the black lines drawn over it like the CIA does? That at least gives us hours spent trying to guess the words by the length of black line. :P

I have a strong, strong feeling that the magic being REDACTED here is actually Microkinesis! It's a term I've heard mentioned a few times in the past in relation to Dragonsteel and Yolen, a magic that allows the user to see microscopic things and interact with atoms/molecules at will. In the fifth chapter, Jerick looks at small crawling REDACTEDs on a corpse, and recognises them from a man dying of a disease. I thought these were deathspren or rotspren at first, but then I realised they could be microbes. Later on, he uses something vision-related to determine that a Sho Del's armour is steel as opposed to Dragonsteel, which I think he's doing by actually looking at the molecules in the armour.

If I'm right, it seems likely that the initial flurry of REDACTED when Jerick does something to an arrow is him transmuting the arrow into another substance, which i'd expect Microkinesis to be capable of. Probably it's mechanically similar to Soulcasting and slatrification. Considering chapter 6, it could also be something nuclear in nature, which I believe WoB has said is possible with Microkinesis. Any thoughts? I could be way off the mark here, but I feel it's likely.

1 hour ago, Cryokina said:

I have a strong, strong feeling that the magic being REDACTED here is actually Microkinesis! It's a term I've heard mentioned a few times in the past in relation to Dragonsteel and Yolen, a magic that allows the user to see microscopic things and interact with atoms/molecules at will. In the fifth chapter, Jerick looks at small crawling REDACTEDs on a corpse, and recognises them from a man dying of a disease. I thought these were deathspren or rotspren at first, but then I realised they could be microbes. Later on, he uses something vision-related to determine that a Sho Del's armour is steel as opposed to Dragonsteel, which I think he's doing by actually looking at the molecules in the armour.

If I'm right, it seems likely that the initial flurry of REDACTED when Jerick does something to an arrow is him transmuting the arrow into another substance, which i'd expect Microkinesis to be capable of. Probably it's mechanically similar to Soulcasting and slatrification. Considering chapter 6, it could also be something nuclear in nature, which I believe WoB has said is possible with Microkinesis. Any thoughts? I could be way off the mark here, but I feel it's likely.

The first time we saw it I'd say it was him atomising the arrow, dispersing its atoms into surrounding space and destroying it which is why people saw it vanish, although that doesn't quite explain the change in colour. I don't know of a WoB specifically saying microkinesis can do that, I do know of one regarding splitting atoms (I think) as part of Dragonsteel so it seems safe to say microkinesis.

11 hours ago, The Invested Beard said:

You just watch, Brandon's going to call something in the official Dragonsteel release "redacted" just to troll us. Or like a new creature called a redactor or something. :ph34r:

*horrified gasps*
"You... you killed him"
"That's why you peasants shouldn't fight a redactor"

On 10/2/2017 at 6:33 PM, Bean Delphiki said:

Is it possible for me get my hands on Dragonsteel somehow?

Yes, you can go to BYU and take it out of the library. Sadly, you cannot request that it be sent to another school - I've tried!!!!

Considers taking a trip to Utah to read Dragonsteel at the BYU library... suspects all copies will be checked out when she arrives...

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

“General Tzern is a brilliant man,” Frost explained. “But, like most brilliant men, he doesn’t accept the idea of magic or mysticism. When his men meditate and practice, they are focusing their Cognitive power, but they simply see it as a training technique. When a Tzai shatters his opponent’s sword with his bare hand, what he is really doing is gathering his Cognitive energy and using it to break the sword’s Spiritual aspect. Any alterations made to an object’s Spiritual side have immediate, and often violent, repercussions in the Physical world.

Holy crap if this isn't foreshadowing of the shattering of Adonalsium I don't know what is. Let the speculation commence!

3 hours ago, The Invested Beard said:

Hide contents

“General Tzern is a brilliant man,” Frost explained. “But, like most brilliant men, he doesn’t accept the idea of magic or mysticism. When his men meditate and practice, they are focusing their Cognitive power, but they simply see it as a training technique. When a Tzai shatters his opponent’s sword with his bare hand, what he is really doing is gathering his Cognitive energy and using it to break the sword’s Spiritual aspect. Any alterations made to an object’s Spiritual side have immediate, and often violent, repercussions in the Physical world.

Holy crap if this isn't foreshadowing of the shattering of Adonalsium I don't know what is. Let the speculation commence!

What are the chances that Jerick is involved in the shattering?  Would he take up one of the shards?

Edited by anna

25 minutes ago, anna said:

What are the chances that Jerick is involved in the shattering?  Would he take up one of the shards?

I'm thinking he's either involved or learns about the plan and tries to stop it. I could see something of a bittersweet failed hero's arc to his story if the latter is the case.

Edited by The Invested Beard

3 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

I'm thinking he's either involved or learns about the plan and tries to stop it. I could see something of a bittersweet failed hero's arch to his story if the latter is the case.

I guess that could work if it's at the end of the cosmere in terms of when it was written.

2 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

I guess that could work if it's at the end of the cosmere in terms of when it was written.

It would definitely flesh out some of Hoid's motivations (toward what goal we have no idea yet) if his friend died during the shattering while trying to stop it.

27 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

It would definitely flesh out some of Hoid's motivations (toward what goal we have no idea yet) if his friend died during the shattering while trying to stop it.

I'm not sure it would flesh out his motivations, cause we aren't quite sure what his goal is yet, but it could definitely be a motivating factor. We know he was there at the Shattering, what if Jerick died during the Shattering trying to prevent it and if Hoid had intervened, or by Hoid's intervention he caused Jerick's death.... I think it would be more the first rather than the latter because the writer of Letter 2 (Frost?) is advocating for nonintervention, and what if one of the reasons he is intervening is because he didn't during the Shattering?