Wyrmhero

38 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

I'd point out again what Orlok/I both pointed out near the bottom of page 1 - the info we gain is a baseline of how players are acting in this game, so that we can look for changes if they're converted.

While this is true - we also sacrifice a lot - the reads and suspicion we gain off of D1 interactions influence our future reads and suspicions. Often, we gain a lot of useful information - who is defending who, who seems to be subtly casting suspicion on someone else, who votes where and for what reasons - including what reasons seem to be superficial excuses for just getting a lynch - and so on. The problem in this case is this: almost everything we gain will be incorrect. Now, it is possible that we can successfully filter that out - but I find it unlikely. Even if we manage to consciously try to filter things out, D1 interactions often have a subtle influence on our future reads for long into the game. And it's the unconscious bits that are at issue here - they are hard to correct for.

So yes, we could conceivably get a baseline for the game, but at the cost of significantly dropping the signal to noise ratio on every other read we are trying to take.

35 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

Yes. Well... yes. Even if he hadn't proposed this plan he'd likely have had to die eventually - maybe D5 or so? But given that it's uncertain how much information he is receiving, we can't assume that the Seer hasn't converted him.

Speaking of your whole "I'm willing to trade info" thing - yours, and Shqueeves', and Joe's. The only reason there was any logic behind making Aman an information hub is because he explicitly plans to lynch himself D3 (which isn't quite logical because he can still be converted before then, but makes more sense than the rest of the proposals nevertheless). The three of you made no such similar claims, so that if people actually do trade info with you, the Seer has absolutely no reason not to convert you. So, why exactly is publicly announcing as you have a good idea, other than painting an enormous target on your back for both the Seer and later lynches? >>

Unless Aman has been more successful than me, he has little information. 

I don't know about Joe or Striker, but I intentionally painted this target on my back.

Night 1: Dead Man's Boots

“You’re joking,” Nickel said, with a frown.

“Have you ever known me to joke?” Waern asked, with a frown. “This is entirely serious business, I assure you.”

“We can’t just turn on each other like that!” Gaskon said. “For a start, we’d practically be guessing. How can we just point at someone and magically decide that this person that we’ve known for years is actually secretly someone that has been lying to us all that time? Lying to us well enough that we don’t know that, despite having worked with them closely for so long?”

“I’m afraid you don’t have a choice in the matter anymore,” Waern replied, crossing his arms. “No-one’s getting out of here until we find out who it is. I’ve made sure of that. And since this place is locked, and I can promise you that no-one will find the key, there is only one way any of us are getting out – Either this spy kills us all, or we kill them and any of the people here they have subverted… Do I make myself clear?”

“We… we will need to think about this, I suppose,” Sony said. “Talk to each other and figure out which of us is the weirdest.”

Waern shrugged. “That’s fine by me. As far as I’m concerned, this is your work now for the next however long it takes. And if two dozen of the Empire’s Obligators can’t solve this mystery, then there truly is no hope. I would like to believe that we’re better than this. So, go on.” He waved them away with his hand. “Go discuss. At the very least, consider that the death of those standing beside you offers some interesting opportunities.”

“You- You can’t seriously suggest that any of us would put our own advancement over the good of the Empire?” Joe said, mouth dropping open. “That would defy everything we stand for!”

“Would it?” Locke asked, folding his arms over his chests and leaning against the wall. “You forget your history, and even your present, Joe. The Final Empire is built on climbing ever higher by treading on the fingers of your peers. It is practically an unspoken tenant of our society - no, our very religion - that the strong rise up and the weak are rightfully crushed below. Why else would The Lord Ruler turn a blind eye or even encourage the infighting within the Great Houses in Luthadel? It helps to strengthen ourselves and the Empire, that's why.”

“And yet,” Joe said, clenching and speaking through his teeth, “We are meant to be professionals and to work together. You might think it’s all very well for this little bit of chaos to propel you to greater heights, but what about what comes after? When we all start to see knives at our backs, and we cannot trust that our co-workers aren’t secretly trying to kill us all?”

“Simple,” Locke shrugged. “Lose the naivety and idealism. Become pragmatic. Realise that this is a unique situation that does not reflect life as we know it here. For what it’s worth, if anyone does try to kill me for the sake of their own career and fails, there will be no hard feelings. I would do the same in your position.” He grinned, chuckling a little. “Though if you do succeed, I can’t promise I won’t hold a grudge.”

“Madness,” Joe muttered, “Absolute bloody madness.”

“Agreed,” Gaskon said. “Madness.”

“It seems to me,” Edguardo said, “that we should look to those least keen on the idea for our first suspect.”

“Wait, what?” Gaskon rounded on him.

“Makes sense to me,” Mira nodded. “What would a skaa spy want to do more than delay any action?”

“Anyone have a better suggestion?” Waern asked.

“I-” Gaskon began.

“No? Very well,” Waern said. He pointed at Mira and Edguardo. “You two accused him, so you can help me bundle him into the chamber.”

“Wait!” Gaskon tried, before the pair put their hands on his arms and started dragging him away. “I’m not a bloody skaa!” He tried to fight against them, but if there was one thing the Obligators of the Inquisition were trained in, it was how to hold down people and drag them away.

“Well, hopefully then your death will point us in the right direction,” Waern said, as he watched Gaskon being pulled away. “If it’s not him, then you all will need to do some thinking,” he added to the rest of the assembled. “I’ll let you know if the questioning brings anything up that you need to know.” And with that, he followed Mira and Edguardo to the torture chamber. Duty called.

Gaskon Renaud (Amanuensis) was an Obligator!

Gaskon Renaud/Amanuensis (2): Edguardo/Paranoid King, Mira/Frozen Mint

Joe/A Joe in the Bush (1): Hadrian/Araris Valerian

Rin/doc12 (1): Sart

Edguardo/Paranoid King (1): Jaina/little wilson

Night 1 has begun! It will end at 21:00 BST on Thursday 12th.

red_1507838400.png

There is a Tineye alive, so PMs may be continue to be sent.

Players

1. Alrin (Arinian)
  2. Sheon, formerly of House Idris (Seonid)
  3. Locke, formerly of House Tekiel (Orlok Tsubodai)
  4. Eobard (Steeldancer)
  5. Straw (Straw)
  6. Quintus, worldhopper (Jondesu)
  7. Hadrian, formerly of House Penrod (Araris Valerian)
  8. John (Shqueeves)
  9. Variel, ambitious and young (StrikerEZ)
  10. Marsh, but not that Marsh (Darkness Ascendant)
  11. Pix (Lemonelon)
  12. Jaina, obsessed with pandas (littlewilson)
  13. Sart (Sart)
  14. Cyfna (Elbereth)
  15. Edguardo 'The Great', long on plans but short on money (Paranoid King)
  16. A Joe in the Bush
  17. Armina, of House Handler (Arranae)
  18. Sony
  19. Mira (frozen Mint)
  20. Rin (doc12)
  21. Gaskon Renaud, who may get around to procrastinating eventually (Amanuensis) - Obligator
  22. DarianHammersmith
  23. Droughtbringer
  24. Davus
  25. Nickel, formerly of House Izenry (Aonar Faileas)

Quick Links:

The Rules

Day 1

Night 1 (you are here)

Day 2 (that's tomorrow - Time travel is possible :D)

Edited by Wyrmhero

The wind shook all of the light sources that illuminated the town during the dark night.

All but one.

A line of bright orange light could be seen near the bottom of one of the walls of a blacksmith’s shop, unphased by the roaring wind. The source of this light was a square-shaped machine, which was propped up against the wall. Forever immobile, the machine silently watched the surrounding area of the shop, looking for potential burglars. Although few have tried stealing from the blacksmith, the machine has caught every person that has tried. Each successful catch led to a lynch in the public square, which caused many whispers between the townsfolk about the machine known by the name “PS4.”

The PS4 whirred into life as it heard a faint rustling in one of the bushes near the shop. The once bright orange light slowly changed into a blue light, which shined directly into the nearby bush.

Standing in the bushes was a sharp-dressed man, who held a mug with the name Joe on it. Although the man soon started running away from the shop, the nearby guards were already alerted by the bright light.

The chase has begun.

18 minutes ago, Sony said:

The wind shook all of the light sources that illuminated the town during the dark night.

All but one.

A line of bright orange light could be seen near the bottom of one of the walls of a blacksmith’s shop, unphased by the roaring wind. The source of this light was a square-shaped machine, which was propped up against the wall. Forever immobile, the machine silently watched the surrounding area of the shop, looking for potential burglars. Although few have tried stealing from the blacksmith, the machine has caught every person that has tried. Each successful catch led to a lynch in the public square, which caused many whispers between the townsfolk about the machine known by the name “PS4.”

The PS4 whirred into life as it heard a faint rustling in one of the bushes near the shop. The once bright orange light slowly changed into a blue light, which shined directly into the nearby bush.

Standing in the bushes was a sharp-dressed man, who held a mug with the name Joe on it. Although the man soon started running away from the shop, the nearby guards were already alerted by the bright light.

The chase has begun.

First of all, we are all inside a Canton building. Second of all, why am i holding a Mug? Third of all, Sony, since votes don't count at night. =P

Sigh. All this talk about Joe's and bushes and mugs with things in it is making my fingers itch to draw. But I will not give in to the pressure.

However.

1 hour ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Let's open this up to the whole family shall we, everyone, raise your hand if you think you know what is in the Mug.

*raises hand*

Is the blood of a joey too macabre?

Armina watched impassively as Gaskon's screams faded into the distance. Waern had a ruthless, proactive streak, she noted. After all, before rising to his current level as Prelan, he must have once been a lowly Obligator too, convinning his way to the top. Armina would have to remember that.

For the meantime, however, she'd have to deal with more present threats, like Locke.

After looking around to make sure nobody was watching, she slipped away from the crowd. She took the stairs up a floor, then walked until she reached Locke's office. It was locked. Armina crouched in front of the handle and inserted a lockpick. After a few nerve-wracking seconds, the lock opened. Armina stepped into Locke's office and shut the door. She glanced at her pocketwatch. She had three minutes. Anything more than that would be begging for discovery. 

Locke's office was well-organized, with a desk completely clear of everything but a nametag with Locke's rank and a filing system in the back. A small safe was attached to the wall, next to the filing system. It looked disturbingly like Armina's office, except that this room was bigger and had a fireplace.

Armina took out a pouch of ashes and scattered it in Locke's fireplace. She smiled, thinking of what would happen when it was discovered. Obviously, ashes in a fireplace didn't mean anything, but if someone, such as Prelan Waern, looked closedly, they would notice that the ashes were that of burnt paper -- specifically a letter addressed to a skaa revolutionary. Armina had made sure to leave a few incriminating phrases intact.

Next, Armina headed for the safe. At some point, Waern was going to have to order everyone to turn over the content of their safes. Armina was just going to make sure that he found an extra few thousand boxings that weren't accounted for by any records. Almost like a bribe, perhaps.

Footsteps echoed in the hallway outside. Someone was outside! Armina dove under Locke's desk. As the footsteps paused, she suddenly remembered that she hadn't locked the door. Her breath hitched in her chest. Lord Ruler, she was such an idiot --

The footsteps continued on, then receeded. Armina breathed a sigh of relief, but froze when she heard more footsteps pounding up the stairs. Gaskon's interrogation must be done. She had to get out now! She hastily stood up and rushed towards the door, knocking Locke's nametag off his desk. Then she stepped out the door, locking it behind her, just as the crowd rounded the corner of the hall.

Armina plastered a look of unconcern on her face and merged into the crowd. Hopefully nobody would discover what she had done until she could plant some more evidence.

“This is almost always the main argument for no lynch, I'll note. It's not fair to the person who dies. Which is true, yes. But you don't see the eliminators abstaining from their N1 kill just because it's "not fair". What's the difference? That's an honest question - where does the different lie between a C1 kill and a C1 lynch to make one seem more "fair" than the other?”

@Elbereth

Although it doesn't matter as much at this point, here is my response still:

The fact of the matter is, that at this moment, there is a ridiculously low chance of hitting the one person in the game that it matters that we, as the village, hits. If someone were to have seemed overly suspicious to me then I would have gladly lynched them, but I had no good reason to go after anyone specifically. So essentially we have next to no chance of progressing our own win con, less than in the average game, with no one that I specifically have standing out to me as being an Elim.

Whereas the Elim’s always have a good way to progress their own win con in a game; by putting out a kill. For the elims to be nice they are essentially guaranteed to have a setback directly towards their own win con, whereas as the village we are essentially guaranteed to help the elims, especially in this game.

Edit: 

I just want to say that there is a good reason (technically two) for Aman to want to gain information this way, and for why he wants to die D3. If you really wanna know specifics, you can PM him yourself (he'll probably tell you why without a role claim, but don't take my word for it). I'm vouching for Aman right now, and I agree with his no lynch policy for this first night. If we lynch someone tonight, we gain almost no information, plus, I'd really hate to get the Seer's extra life so quickly, because where's the fun in that? If we did manage to lynch the Seer D1, they'd survive, they'd claim pewter, and they'd have a convert out there. Waiting till D2 will give us more information, based on what happens this first night. We'll be able to see if anyone was attacked (i haven't read rules in awhile, how do the Coinshots work in this game?), and we could try and see who is acting differently than the first cycle.

@StrikerEZ Now that Aman is dead, care to share his plan with us?

Edited by DroughtBringer
Forgot stuff.

I talked to Aman in a PM and he said that the reason why he did this was so he could tell which players would or wouldn't claim and also to force the Seer to choose between converting him for info or not converting him for info. Then, when he got lynched, the villager would know and could guess who the Seer was based off of Aman's alignment. Unless there was more to his plan, it's basically useless now.

I'm slightly suspicious of Mint for adding onto PK's Aman vote, because she didn't have much reasoning. The way it's worded, Mint feels like she didn't care who got lynched as long as it was somebody winded up dead. Her only other post is just something pinging all of the people who hadn't posted yet, which is NAI.

Ah sorry guys, been pretty busy and I admittedly completely forgot this game had started. Reading through I‘m getting elim reads on Striker’s first post but that quickly goes away into confusion.

Alot of players seem to be opening themselves up to communication and role exchanging which is all well and good but also gives opening for an Elim to slip among them and lie about their role in exchange for others, whether this is through responding to PMs or Opening them. I personally think this is a bit dangerous and the way we did so in the last blackout game was a much better way to go about, albeit slow.

Something tells me Drought has been lurking alot, and getting slight elim reads from him.

Since the conversions won’t be announced in writeup, the role exchanging is once again compromised and we can quite quickly find ourselves confused as to who is lying and who isn’t. I for one am not going to give my role out freely, however boring it may be.

Also Rae and Aman are giving me elim reads as well, the way Rae talks about him seems off and it seems like they are working together perhaps.

And you guys do realise that by putting “No lynch” in red, you’re saying you want to lynch no lynch? Just don’t do anything xD

Oh wait, as I’m going through the thread, y’all seem to be coming to your senses about the information hub, and Rae seems to have a change in the way she speaks *strokes chin thoughtfully.

Steelrunner is just jumping in randomly and making posts that don’t really help anyone, or himself.

@Elbereth Aha you beat me to Doc’s post about LG2
“1. LG2, the Inquisitor role was given to a new player a. because that player was fRR, who came up with the idea for the game and is the only reason SE was started up again, and b. because 14 out of the 29 players were new because it was the second game ever.”

I was thinking the exact same thing xD I’m not that suspicious of Doc however.

Striker then goes “our usefulness to the village”
As if they aren’t village *strokes chin

People I will be looking at closely:

Elbereth
Drought
Striker

----------------------

All the above was written last night after catching up..

..glad to see I was right about Aman-Rae interaction xD

Well, still slightly suspicious of Striker/Shqueeves

Also, all of this will probably change. Don't take it too seriously.