Best Character Names

Questioner

What was your favorite Mistborn character to write? Personally I hated Elend and Vin but loved Zane.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh wow, hated Elend and Vin and loved Zane… *stumbles over words* I'm going to stay away from you. *laughter* I'm just joking. Who's my favorite? *sighs* Picking a favorite character is almost impossible, it's who you're writing at the moment but I kind of have a weird personal connection in a weird way with Sazed so I'll say him. And it's okay if you say "Sah-zed" I say "Say-zed" but I don't say everything right, I say "Kelsi-er" too and his name is "Kelsi-ay".

What makes a good name for me is one that pops of the page in terms of implications and power. 

Bavadin. Makes me think of someone sinister. 

Pretty much all of the Unmade names with Sja-anat and Moelach being my favorites. If you had absolute no context and have never read any fantasy books I think you'd still be able to read the name of every Unmade and know they're evil. Which is a testament to Brandon. 

Tanavast. Feels like a wise old elders name to me. 

Sylphrena. In my opinion it's the most elegant sounding name in the cosmere. 

Rayse, again you could read this with no context and know he's evil, with the relationship with the word "raze" and all. 

Favorite over all would have to Jezrien.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Sanderon used alot of nice sounding female names. Allrianne and Aona are fairly good sounding to my ears especially if you think about who they are.

Syl and Ash has a nice ring to it too. It even fits who they are. 

For the male names. Tanavast, Rashek and Rayse are most likely my favorite. It has a bite to it.

• Chaos locked this topic