Toaster Retribution

Best Character Names

47 posts in this topic

Stick. (But seriously) Cusicesh.

I like Tonk Fah. I've never heard a name like it in the fantasy world.

I think Dalinar and Kaladin are easy-to-overlook-yet-really-solid fantasy character names. I feel like the really fit their personalities as well. Boring answer maybe, but those are my favorites. 

I also really like Hhrathen and Odium. 

I always thought the really simple names from Mistborn were really good character names. I have a tendency to make complicated names when really all I need are a few letter. Vin, Dox, Ham, Breeze, simple things

I love the name Elhokar. Sylphrena and Kaladin are close seconds. Oh, and it goes without saying that Szeth deserves a spot on the list too. 

I -really- like the name Jasnah. Amd Vin, in it's simplicity.

Pattern :P

"Name is numbers," Pattern said. "Many numbers. Hard to say. Pattern... Pattern is fine."

Edited by Cowmanthethird

Kelseir, in his in-world pronunciation, is awesome. Same goes for most of the Scadrial names, but Kel-see-aih is pretty great.

I really like Taravangian's name, even if it's way easier to just call him Mr. T :P

It's odd to me, listening to Dune, and hearing Duke Atreides home world's name read aloud Caladan, sounds strikingly similar to Kaladin.

Obviously Hrathen is a fav of mine ;) but I also really like Raoden and Kaladin

Kaladin Stormblessed rolls off the tongue so well. It's evocative of a high fantasy warrior. Hoid takes a little getting used to, but once you do, it sounds like it would be the name of some trickster god.

I have no idea why, but I love all of the Heralds names, they just sound like, regal, and royal, I don’t know how to explain it. I also love Hrathen, it’s just so amazing. I like Khrissalla and Nazh, which is probably not his full name, but its storming awesome still. I love Kaladin, too. It just a perfect name for the kind of character he is, I love it.

I like Kell and Vin with their French pronunciation. (Though I’m honestly confused by the name Rannete gives Vindication as a result.) Also Waxillium.

For Stormlight I like Jasnah (which I pronounce as Yasnah), but I really love the Kholin name since most Americans can’t pronounce the ‘Kh’ and I can. (This is also why I love Khuzdul.) 

For Threnody I love Silence and William Ann’s names.

And I love the double vowel of Aonic names and the stutter of Hallandrin ones.

Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor. So fun to say once you learn how to say and spell it right. Also, Waxillium, Hrathen, Taravangian, and Cephandrius Maxtori.

On 11/22/2017 at 8:17 PM, Ookla the Rusty said:

Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor. So fun to say once you learn how to say and spell it right. Also, Waxillium, Hrathen, Taravangian, and Cephandrius Maxtori.

How did you get ahold of Dragonsteel? If you didn’t, how do you know Hoid had the surname Maxtori at some point? Because I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen it published... I really want to read that thesis...

12 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

How did you get ahold of Dragonsteel? If you didn’t, how do you know Hoid had the surname Maxtori at some point? Because I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen it published... I really want to read that thesis...

I haven't gotten ahold of Dragonsteel. I remember reading it in Mistborn: Secret History... nope, nevermind. Just checked.

I think I only know it because I read it on the Coppermind website. No source other than that.

Personally, Rayse, Sazed, and Taravangian sound cool to me (and Szeth is great tooo)

I also liked the the Thaylen names. Tvlakv, Rysn, Tozbek. Nothing like a bunch of consonants mashed together to make your day.

How can you not love the name Taravangian? It's just so fluttery and arch.