Are Aons and soul stamps similar?

9 minutes ago, FarmhouseGamer said:

I was re-reading The Emperors soul the main character was talking about different markings she used to change what the mark did. Is this and indication that soul stamps are just another way of drawing aons in a way that you dont have to be an Elantrian to do? Or am I being stupid?

All of Sel's magics are form based. The implementation is what varies. So they are similar, but they aren't the same thing. 

Make sense? 

Yeah, you are getting it. I don't know how aware you are of the laws of magic in the Cosmere (or how much of the Cosmere you know about), but there is something special about the magic systems on Sel, and it results in a lot of its magics integrating locations - maps and landmarks - somehow. Aons feature a representation of the Atad Mountains to the east/right, the Sea of Fjorden to the north/up, and the lake Alonoe in the middle; Soulstamps contain a crude image of the Rose Empire. And so on.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a Sel WoB that the magics were Programming based even before the Shards were Splintered.

Before Sel's Shards were Splintered, were the Investitures there still form-based?

Brandon Sanderson

Umm... yes. They are all programming-based. But of course, with true programming, the form doesn't matter, it's the numbers. And in this case the form does. The actual depictions do matter.

• 4 months later...
On 9/30/2017 at 5:40 PM, FarmhouseGamer said:

I was re-reading The Emperors soul the main character was talking about different markings she used to change what the mark did. Is this and indication that soul stamps are just another way of drawing aons in a way that you dont have to be an Elantrian to do? Or am I being stupid?

Definitely not being stupid. They are similar, but different. So with drawing Aons, Elantrians are able to sort of draw a hole into the cognitive realm, and alow the  power there (Referred to as the Dor) to seep  through that hole in a particular shape, detirmined by which Aon is being drawn. With Soul stamping, one is instead pushing the stamp through the boundary of the physical realm, into the cognitive, and pushing the Dor into the spiritual web of the stamped object, with the shape of the stamp. So, similar, but different too.

16 minutes ago, BillLangdon said:

So with drawing Aons, Elantrians are able to sort of draw a hole into the cognitive realm, and alow the  power there (Referred to as the Dor) to seep  through that hole in a particular shape, detirmined by which Aon is being drawn.

That's one of the best explanations I've seen about how Aons work :D  I'm stealing!

(Although I also have to point out that this thread was answered almost 6 months ago, and didn't really need to be necro'd :( )

• Chaos locked this topic