Peter Ahlstrom cameo or coincidence?

Peet

This is regarding the bridgeman "Peet" in the Way of Kings.

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Peet

Given that the name is similar to Peter, he is balding, and is described as "quietly dependable," is this character essentially like a cameo for Peter Ahlstrom? Or is it just coincidence?

I think it is an intentional cameo for the above reasons, and Brandon has written in cameos for Peter in other books also (though not necessarily a character)

I imagine it could be pretty common for authors to write in characters loosely based on people they know, or to name places after them.

I think it is kind of cool.

Edited by Peet

This is regarding the bridgeman "Peet" in the Way of Kings.

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Peet

Given that the name is similar to Peter, he is balding, and is described as "quietly dependable," is this character essentially like a cameo for Peter Ahlstrom? Or is it just coincidence?

I think it is an intentional cameo for the above reasons, and Brandon has written in cameos for Peter in other books also (though not necessarily a character)

I imagine it could be pretty common for authors to write in characters loosely based on people they know, or to name places after them.

I think it is kind of cool.

"Drehy, a member of Bridge Four, is gay. He’s based on a good friend of mine who is gay"

Peter said that Skar are based in a friend that are going to Iraq.

And now Peet are a cameo.

Sanderson are filling Bridge 4 with his friends =)

Anyone that know Brandon friends suspect of another bridgeman ? Because if alll bridge 4 are based in Sanderson friends that would be a awesome homage =)

Just a question Peet died or are alive? I always forget of the minor bridgemen =(

You guys didn't notice me before?

*Ashamed*

Well..... you see.... this is. I mean... =(

To be honest this should be pretty easy to notice(but i think many people didn't notice). After today every time that I read the book i shall imagine Peet with your face (minus the tan and Alenthi eyes) =)

PS: Aside Drehy, Skar and you Brigde 4 have other cameos ?

You guys didn't notice me before?

I never paid too much attention to acknowledgments in books before, so your name didn't stick in my mind until I found this site. Once I had an idea of who you are, I quickly made the connection to Peet since the "quietly dependable" line and Peet's name stuck with me since reading The Way of Kings.

Leyten is another one of our friends. He is a math teacher, just like his cameo in the Rithmatist.

Nice thank you for the aswer. I really I hope that Szeth don't kill you all until the end of the book   ;)

I keep close track of the movement of this 4 bridgemen

Drehy - He was blond and well muscled, and was from Rianal - He was quick to learn the resetting exercise Kaladin taught Bridge Four.

Leyten -  Leyten was formerly a blacksmith's apprentice before being put into Bridge Four, he was vital in the production of the carapace armor suits used by the Bridge Crew.

Peet - was a member of Bridge Four on Roshar. He was balding. Kaladin considers Peet to be quietly dependable.

Skar - He was short and wiry.He was one of the first to join in and eat Rock's stew.He became one of the bridge's subsquad commanders.

Edited by Natans

brandon uses a lot of his friends for minor roles in his books. I remember demoux, that survived when he should have been dead because the guy he was based on put the condition that his character had to survive the books. Other roles are given at charity auctions to those who pledge the most. So brandon's books are literally crammed with cameos.

Would be nice to have an additional page to list those.

People have paid over a thousand dollars for charity to get a role in Words of Radiance.

I will take that as a no.  I thought I deserved a place because of my impeccable smile, my fantastic intelligence, and my awesome name, but apparently I am the only one here who appreciates me.

Edited by lordofsoup

• Chaos locked this topic