C2: The Two Trials

The sudden and violent death of Lord Khlenn had thrown the aristocracy into disarray. The killer was never apprehended, but whispers in the west were that he had passed across the countryside on a black steed bearing him for Minas Morgul. While there were no ways to truly confirm or deny the rumors, the news threw fuel on the fires of gossip and paranoia that had always been present in Minas Tirith. Few were more aware of the potential for riots caused by the murder than the Guards of the Citadel, tasked with the defense of the Steward’s residences in the seventh and highest circle of the city.

Baranor, captain of the guards, was at breakfast when the news reached him.

“Sir,” a servant said, “we have a report from the lower circles. Lord Khlenn’s been murdered!”

Baranor had never gotten along particularly well with Lord Khlenn, but he immediately realized the possible implications of the attack.

“I want the guard around the Steward doubled immediately!” he said, rising to his feet, “Nobody is allowed into this circle without clearance from me personally. Not even the King of Rohan himself.”

He turned and left for the Steward’s throne, leaving his breakfast half-eaten behind him.

As he left, the servant tacked on, “Oh, and Mori lôm was killed by an angry mob, but we couldn’t find anyone at fault for starting it.”

“That can wait. The Steward’s safety is more important.” PREPARE

King Cole was out for a walk. Sure, a murder had just happened, but to Cole routine came before paranoia. He had walked at this time, on this route for the last ten years, and he was going to walk it again.

About halfway through, Cole stopped for a drink of water and a short rest. While catching his breath, he heard a soft, croaky voice speaking to him.

“Could you spare some water, kind sir?” said an old man who was begging at the side of the road. “Some urchins stole my bottle yesterday.”

What kind of bottle? Now that’s the question. Cole thought, but he didn’t say it out loud. Whatever this man’s drinking habits, he certainly looked like he could use a drink.

“Okay, I guess I can spare a few swallows,” Cole offered the man his waterskin.

“You know, you aren’t a bad fellow,” said the old man, “it’s a shame we have to kill you.”

“What?”

But as that word escaped his mouth, he was hit on the back of the head by a dueling cane. YOURSELVES

The new Lord Khlenn stood at the site of where his brother had been murdered, hands clasped solemnly in front of him. He had always had fantasies of his brother dying and him taking command of the family, but never had it been this real to him. He didn’t want this. He never had. He sniffled as he cried, and as he did so a strange aroma tickled his senses.

“Marcellus, do you smell that?” he said to one of the servants that had come with him.

“Yes, my lord.” THIS

“Well, what is it?” CITY

“Pipe-weed, but not the kind they sell here. This is the good stuff, Old Toby they call it.” WILL

“Who would be smoking pipe-weed in a place like this?” BURN

Darkness Ascendant was lynched! They were a Nobleman loyal to Gondor!

King Cole was killed! They were a Scribe loyal to Gondor, with Pipe-weed!

Pipe-weed was smoked!

Vote Count

BR (1)

DA (1)

Cycle 2 has begun. You have 23.5 hours to vote and send in actions.

blu_1507324500.png

Player List
1. Lemonelon - Unspecified
2. King Cole - Unspecified Scribe
3. Randuir - Randuir
4. Jondesu - Findecano Nenharma
5. Steeldancer - Twigeye
6. Sony - Sony
7. Alvron - Zunn the Mad
8. Asterion - Hobo Baggins
9. Doc - Unspecified
10. Steph - Unspecified
11. Drake Marshall - The Marshall of Minas Tirith
12. Manukos - Oakmus N
13. Darkness Ascendant - Mori lôm Nobleman
14. Sami - Jedal Snyders
15. Orlok Tsubodai - Annatar
16. Mestiv - Unspecified
17. Roadwalker - Silver Feather
18. Straw - Straw
19. Brightness Radiant - Unspecified
20. Megasif - Megamir

Edited by Elenion

Okay, last post before bed-time. First, we've got two politicians, who apoarently suspected DA and BR. If anyone could share why they think they might be suspicious, I'd like to hear it, because I've got nothing. I think at least one if these two votes was cast by an elim, as they definitely would want to capitalize on an apparent no-lynch where a villager might not.

Second of all, @King Cole if you could include the meaning of pipe-weed in your message, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for being less active last cycle. I finally have a job again, and while it’s part-time, it kept me distracted.

I didn’t see anyone expressing suspicion of either BR or DA. Did I miss anything? If not, we don’t have a lot to go on regarding who the politicians are, and we don’t necessarily know there are only 2, as Lemonelon was hinting at.

Ninor watched the madmen solemnly exchanging nonsense, shaking his head. 

Truly Minas Tirith was beyond hope if amidst death and lynching, all men could do was to sprout random words at each other. 

Or were they random? 

What if they were conversing in a secret tongue, passwords known only to them? And from that thought... Why would good, trustworthy men need to converse in secret languages?

As for the lynch itself, he had no idea as to why the two characters had been targeted. None had expressed suspicion of any sort - indeed, there had been no accusations yesterday - neither outright nor implied. If one of the accusations had been sent by an agent of Mordor, it could at least be assured that the two accusations did not come from the same faction, as two politicians in the same doc could hardly have chosen two different targets on the same night. Beyond that, he had nothing. 

Okay, Lemonelon does have a point, about there only being two politicians that voted, rather than being two around total. I wasn't as awake as I could be when I made that post, so stuff like that can slip through the cracks.

@Doc12, I don't think it's guaranteed that the two politicians can't both be elims. At this early point they could intentionally have split their vote if they didn't particularly care which of the two they killed, as it also reduces the information for us. If they both had voted on the same guy we would have known that they where working together, while with them splitting their vote it seems that they aren't.

@Sami, remember that this game has an inactivity filter, so if you don't post this cycle you'll die.

Lastly, a vote, as we should really not let the elims have their pick this time around.My two suspicions from last cycle still kinda stand, as Alvron's gibbletish isn't particularly helping his case, and I'm still unsure about lemonelon. I'm going to vote on Alvron for now, in the hope that the threat of an imminent lynch will snap him out of his madness (and whatever he says when he's back to the world of the sane will allow me to re-evaluate him).

11 hours ago, Lemonelon said:

@randuir would that be 2 politicians for certain or 2 politicians that voted? Also, we could probably assume that one is Gondor and one is Mordor if it's definitely 2 :) 

@Lemonelon, why the reliance upon Randuir's reasoning, here? We're all capable of our own critical thought. You're right to identify that we only have evidence of two politicians voting (and, indeed, village politicians are much less likely to have voted), so why the deference? This strikes me as being unwilling to challenge players, which I think is weak evidence for your being evil.

The other thing I don't like about this post is the assumption that the politicians who voted must be Gondor and Mordor aligned. Whilst two Mordor politicians would probably be broken, giving them effective control of the lynch, there exists evidence of a third faction existing, from the Lieutenant of Mordor's scan, and the two politician votes serve to reinforce this, I think. I don't see the rationale for a village politician to have voted on C1.

Given your eagerness to press for the conclusion that a village politician must have voted, I'm minded to suspect that you belong to this third faction, and given the absence of other credible lynches, will vote on you. Lemonelon.

41 minutes ago, randuir said:

Okay, Lemonelon does have a point, about there only being two politicians that voted, rather than being two around total. I wasn't as awake as I could be when I made that post, so stuff like that can slip through the cracks.

@Doc12, I don't think it's guaranteed that the two politicians can't both be elims. At this early point they could intentionally have split their vote if they didn't particularly care which of the two they killed, as it also reduces the information for us. If they both had voted on the same guy we would have known that they where working together, while with them splitting their vote it seems that they aren't.

@Sami, remember that this game has an inactivity filter, so if you don't post this cycle you'll die.

Lastly, a vote, as we should really not let the elims have their pick this time around.My two suspicions from last cycle still kinda stand, as Alvron's gibbletish isn't particularly helping his case, and I'm still unsure about lemonelon. I'm going to vote on Alvron for now, in the hope that the threat of an imminent lynch will snap him out of his madness (and whatever he says when he's back to the world of the sane will allow me to re-evaluate him).

@randuir, I'm of the view that Alv is having fun at the moment. Whilst it's certainly not conducive to analysing him effectively, I'm not sure that the need to end his fun is significant enough at the moment to warrant threatening a lynch, and don't think that lynching him will yield any valuable information.

@Orlok Tsubodai I like to think the best of people and believe what they say until they give me reason to believe otherwise. As randuir was the first person to effectively say they have a scanning ability I'm inclined to trust it. And given how many roles there are, I think distribution of politicians could either be 2 or 4. If 2 then the elim would know who to attack and the village was hoping to get a lucky shot, if 4 then probably both elim voted to split the lynch like you said. Please don't vote for me, I'm not evil <3

5 minutes ago, Lemonelon said:

@Orlok Tsubodai I like to think the best of people and believe what they say until they give me reason to believe otherwise. As randuir was the first person to effectively say they have a scanning ability I'm inclined to trust it. And given how many roles there are, I think distribution of politicians could either be 2 or 4. If 2 then the elim would know who to attack and the village was hoping to get a lucky shot, if 4 then probably both elim voted to split the lynch like you said. Please don't vote for me, I'm not evil <3

@Lemonelon, would you direct me to where Randuir claimed to have a scanning ability? Further, being the "first mover" on something like that is strategically sound regardless of alignment, and so not alignment indicative. Would you explain why you think a village politician would essentially try for a C1 vigilante kill, based on remarkably little information?

@Orlok TsubodaiMy reasons for voting on Alvron where two-fold. First, as I said, I wanted him to put in one or two more game-related posts. The other goal was to encourage other people to start voting. I still hope to get the first goal completed as well, but you're right in that it might be a bit early to put up this kind of pressure (especially since it could open him up for a take-down by an elim-aligned politician if the votes remain relatively low and he's village). I might join your vote on lemonelon, but I'd first like to hear his answer to your question (and, if possible, Id'like some other people to start chiming in on the lynch as well).

Edited by randuir