"Oops, I killed God"

ForcesOfNoodles

As far as I know, we've never had a WoB stating that Hoid's part in the Shattering was intentional. All we know is that:

• A very diverse group was working towards that goal, all for different reasons
  • After the Shattering, Hoid was offered a Shard, which he turned down
  • His goal very ambitious, and is being opposed by the 17th Shard

Maybe Hoid just sort of bumbled into some secret that broke Adonalsium, and the group opposing him/her/it was so grateful that they offered him a Shard on the spot, which he turned down out of guilt. He then begins an incredibly long-term mission to rebuild it.

He also vows to never make a mistake like that ever again, slowly changing into that cocksure, arrogant character that we all know and love.

Q: Hoid was once offered a Shard, but he refused it, right?
A: Yes.
Q: Was it right after the Shattering?
A: Yes. It was during the events. I wouldn't necessarily say "right after", it was during this process. I would say this is a RAFO before I finish writing at that time. (Not sure if I understood the last sentence right, but I think that's what he said)
Q: And who took this Shard instead?
A: That's a RAFO.

Source

It's under "Saturday Afternoon"

@Calderis I think @ForcesOfNoodles was thinking of this WoB..

INTERVIEW: Jan 16th, 2015

THE ONLY JOE

Was Hoid offered one of the Shards we know about.

BRANDON SANDERSON

You know, I can't remember which Shard I've shown you, Wait, no I haven't shown you that one.

I guess we can't really know whether Hoid was offered a Shard before or after the Shattering. I don't believe, however, that the beings that Shattered Adonalsium knew exactly what they were doing, to the extent that they predicted Him breaking into 16 parts. I can't imagine what form the power took immediately after the Shattering, but I think it was during this in-between time that Hoid was offered a Shard. If Noodles's theory is correct, it probably happened immediately after the Shattering.

Edited by Catladyman
Ninja'd!

27 minutes ago, Catladyman said:

@Calderis I think @ForcesOfNoodles was thinking of this WoB..

I guess we can't really know whether Hoid was offered a Shard before or after the Shattering. I don't believe, however, that the beings that Shattered Adonalsium knew exactly what they were doing, to the extent that they predicted Him breaking into 16 parts. I can't imagine what form the power took immediately after the Shattering, but I think it was during this in-between time that Hoid was offered a Shard. If Noodles's theory is correct, it probably happened immediately after the Shattering.

30 minutes ago, ForcesOfNoodles said:

Source

It's under "Saturday Afternoon"

There's another that I don't remember the wording for, and am trying to find, that says that the Shards knew what intents they were going to pick up before the event. 

I'll keep looking and try to edit it back in.

Edit: closest I've been able to find was this. And it's not what I remember, but it does show that the intents were predetermined by the method of the Shattering, just not that the Vessels were aware. I'll keep looking. 

ASKTHEPAPERCLIP

If Adonalsium were to shatter in a parallel universe, would it divide into the same 16 intents?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Um...it...Adonalsium could have been shattered in other ways.

ASKTHEPAPERCLIP

Was there a force determining which way it shattered?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes!

Edited by Calderis

• Chaos locked this topic