[OB] Oathbringer Back Cover

Pagerunner

Don't have time to do this right now (and on mobile anyways), but has anyone thrown it into GIMP or PS to fix the angle and then tried to run it through OCR?

Edit: Here's what I can see:

And finally the King, broken by war, he seeks the past. That which was [???]. That which he [??? ??? ???].

Edited by Salkara
Mobile autocorrect + my eyesight isn't completely shot yet.

30 minutes ago, maxal said:

I think it is pretty straight-forward:

The Captain is Kaladin broken by Tien's death.

The Spy is Shallan.

The Stonewalker is Szeth looking for truth.

The King is Dalinar looking for his past.

The Traitor has to be Eshonai looking for redemption.

I honestly doubt any other character than the main five are mentioned on the back of the book cover.

Winner winner, chicken dinner. 

What a big, beautiful book.

"This war is not, and never was, what they thought it to be.

"We may soon hold surges again. For the [Radiance?] has [resurfaced?] in [some?], and [done something to] [others?].

This sentence before "The Captain" seems to be the blurriest part, but I think that's roughly what it says.

Possibly "resurfaced in some, and shifted against others." It's very rough guesswork, but that would fit the general theme of the passage.

Edited by Belzedar

The first section I can read pretty clearly.

A new storm has come.

Ash and red lightning sweep the land, awakening our ancient enemies. The Unmade- Shadows of the Enemy's soul- stir, while the eyes of men open. This war is real, and never was what they thought it to be.

What I see per @Extesian's image

A new storm has come. 

Ash and red lightning sweeps the land, awakening our ancient enemies. The Unmade—shadows of the Enemy's mind—stir, while the eyes of men open. This war is not, and never was, what they thought it to be. 

We may soon hold the surges again. For the Radiance has returned to some, and shepards forward others. The Captain. Broken by loss, seeks reconstruction. The Spy. Broken by cruelty, seeks vindication. The Stonewalker. Broken by oaths, seeks truth. The Traitor. Broken by ambition, seeks freedom.

And finally The King. Broken by war. He seeks the past. That which was abandoned. That which he must not know. 

For those secrets will crush him as they did the Knights who came before. 

Thanks Extesian. Still sketchy on a couple spots but that was a massive improvement. 

I'm going to take a stab, without reading the whole thread yet.

Edit: after my initial post I've read some other attempts and included those I agree with. I'm now reasonably confident in this rendition. I had a lot of overlap with @Calderis and pulled in a few phases in the first paragraph and confirmed hunches in the second and third with a final cross check.

----

A new storm has come.

Ash and red lightning sweeps the land awakening our ancient enemies. The Unmade - shadows of the enemy's mind - stir, while the eyes of men open. This war is not, and never was, what they thought it to be.

We may soon hold Surges again, for the Radiance has resurfaced in some, and shines toward others. The Captain, broken by loss, seeks reconciliation. The Spy, broken by cruelty, seeks completion. The Stonewalker, broken by oaths, seeks truth. The Traitor, broken by ambition, seeks freedom.

And finally, The King. Broken by war, he seeks the past. That which was abandoned. That which he must not know.

For those secrets will crush him as they did the Knights who came before.

----

I think "seeks completion" is the only one I'm unsure about from a story point of view, but it's the only word I can see that accurately fits that blur, based on the length and shape.

Edited by Silarn
Final clarifications and credit.

4 hours ago, Harry the Heir said:

I will say this: this is a lot of work we're doing to decipher something that won't be that revealing in any case, and regardless this is a fun exercise.

Oh this is nothing. Remember when just before WoR came out Tor released random pieces of dialogue from the book. The message boards had a field day with those. Most of our theories were wrong. ;)

You guys never cease to amaze me, great job.

Knowing that this was written by Sleepless, is anyone else wondering why they may hold surges again? 

I agree the traitor is Eshonai, I interpret the ambition as something external, the ambition of her sister resulted in the loss of her free will, forcing her to do atrocious things to her own people. When she loses the stormspren I'm sure than knowledge is enough to 'break' her. Knowing how much Eshonai craves freedom it's especially bad. 

Also, it's interesting that Kaladin is referred to as Captain instead of surgeon on this blurb. 

5 hours ago, Salkara said:

Don't have time to do this right now (and on mobile anyways), but has anyone thrown it into GIMP or PS to fix the angle and then tried to run it through OCR?

There is no OCR sotfware better than human brain.

I thought traitor is Rlain, but after reading your comments I agree Eshonai fits better.