Missing Mistings, Murderiffic Mistborn

Necessary Eagle

Era 2 corresponds to, what, the early 1900s? And Era 3 is supposed to be something like the '80s. Is the gap between Era 2 and Era 3 going to be roughly similar to Earth?

Because if it's not going to be that long between them, well, E3 is supposed to have a Mistborn serial killer, right? Possibly the first Mistborn since Spook? And the women who were kidnapped by the Vanishers, Wax thinks they're being used to breed Mistborn? And they still haven't been rescued. They might never be rescued, for all we know.

So say you've got a Mistborn who comes from a cultists' secret eugenics project. Wouldn't that leave the kid a little unstable? Maybe eventually murdery? Or, might what seems like a string of motiveless murders turn out to be part of some sort of Trellist Evil Plan?

To be fair, before becoming part of its own Era, AoL was a one off with hints to Scadrial's future. So that guess may be rather accurate to the original story. 

Then AoL expanded into a quartet, but it does seem that many questions will be left for Era 3. However, the serial killer plot will be toned down considerably per some recent WoB. Also some things, such as the introduction of the South Scadrians, the medallions, allomantic technology, Harmonium, and cough -a certain someone's survival- cough, were introduced in BoM and will probably be explored further in The Lost Metal. Initially they would have been introduced in Era 3.

So who knows at this point. 

9 hours ago, Agent34 said:

Originating from a eugenics program won't, on its own, make someone unstable. I guess it depends on how the Set raises the little one.

I meant that being raised by a bunch of cultists who had you bred from kidnapped women might do a number on you psychologically.

I was skim-rereading Alloy of Law recently and was just about to start a thread asking/discussing Whatever Happened To Those Kidnapped Misting Women.

In AoL Wax concludes from them all being female and Allomancers that they were being used to try to "breed back" to a full Mistborn, something the Set was interested in doing. But we see in the next few "Era 2" books that the Set was already fairly knowledgeable about hemalurgy, so it could be they were getting spiked for their powers.

I had also wondered how they got so many Bloodmaker spikes, since Ferrings are fairly rare and individually known by the small Terris community, and not a whole lot of them had gone missing; in Shadows of Self, the Steelrunner that got killed and spiked for her Steelrunning to give to Bleeder was a missing persons case that Wax was already looking into, aside from investigating The Set's activity. Only about 1/16 of all Ferrings would be Bloodmakers, yet at least three members of the Set are seen to be able to use "unencrypted goldminds" - Telsin, Suit, and that woman at the party where Wayne first gets the blank goldmind, for starters.

Then I realized, if tapping gold can heal damage to the Spiritweb as from getting hemalurgically spiked, then a gold/gold compounding Twinborn like Miles Hundredlives would be a perfect source of spike generation -  spike him, let him heal, and spike him again! Though there would seem to be some kind of a recursive problem in that Miles would need his Bloodmaker ability to heal from having his Bloodmaking spiked out of him, isn't Brandon saying it was possible?

On 9/26/2017 at 9:05 AM, robardin said:

Though there would seem to be some kind of a recursive problem in that Miles would need his Bloodmaker ability to heal from having his Bloodmaking spiked out of him, isn't Brandon saying it was possible?

He can use his Augur ability to burn a goldmind, which would still compound the health within, without him having the feruchemical ability. The compounded health would then heal his body and soul. 

1 hour ago, Spoolofwhool said:

He can use his Augur ability to burn a goldmind, which would still compound the health within, without him having the feruchemical ability. The compounded health would then heal his body and soul. 

Right, he can allomantically burn his own goldmind after getting spiked for F-gold, which heals his feruchemical ability back.

So really those Ruin-enhanced Inquisitors in HoA should all have had compounded gold and been REALLY hard to kill...

2 minutes ago, robardin said:

So really those Ruin-enhanced Inquisitors in HoA should all have had compounded gold and been REALLY hard to kill...

Well, given that they had to learn how to compound on their own (Marsh was the only one who had any prior information about how to), they might not have figured out compounding yet.

Secondly, why would any of them have A-Gold in the first place? Until they learn how to compound with a power that they actually have both of, they won't have a reason to have A-Gold.

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

Well, given that they had to learn how to compound on their own (Marsh was the only one who had any prior information about how to), they might not have figured out compounding yet.

Secondly, why would any of them have A-Gold in the first place? Until they learn how to compound with a power that they actually have both of, they won't have a reason to have A-Gold.

I mean, Ruin might have chosen to give the Inquisitors he granted F-spikes the ability to compound gold. But that would also mean giving them spikes for A-gold, and unless an Inquisitor had been Mistborn, it'd be kind of hard to find an Augur Misting to spike. And even for a Mistborn Inquisitor, it'd be more obviously valuable to give him offensive F-spikes like for F-steel and F-pewter based on the very few Keepers in existence.

As for them having to figure out compounding, I assumed Ruin would know all about it...?

Edited by robardin

I think you're trying to grant too much knowledge to Ruin. He was just a man, ultimately. One who lived thousands upon thousands of years and had his powers, capacity and abilities ramped way up, but in the end, he was nothing like omniscient.  No one on Scadrial made use of anything beyond the original 10 metals we first knew of for the longest time, no one on Scadrial aside from one specific guy had access to both Feruchemy and Allomancy, so no one on Scadrial knew what all of the combinations were capable of. As Ruin was trapped, he couldn't test for himself.  As Ruin did not invent or power Allomancy or Feruchemy, he was limited in his knowledge of what could be done with the various combinations of them to whoever he could get his hands on and really, that was a very small number of people until right before the end of Mist Era 1.

On 9/27/2017 at 9:27 PM, robardin said:

As for them having to figure out compounding, I assumed Ruin would know all about it...?

Why would Ruin know about it? It's a hack, not a codified part of the magic system. It's also partly Allomancy, which isn't "of him," if that's relevant.

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

Why would Ruin know about it? It's a hack, not a codified part of the magic system. It's also partly Allomancy, which isn't "of him," if that's relevant.

Well if taking the power of Preservation at the Well taught Rashek about Hemalurgy... Though I guess that was more Ruin whispering to him in those moments? And Feruchemy as an end-neutral Art is kind of both of Preservation and of Ruin, no?

Edited by robardin

8 minutes ago, robardin said:

Well if taking the power of Preservation at the Well taught Rashek about Hemalurgy... Though I guess that was more Ruin whispering to him in those moments? And Feruchemy as an end-neutral Art is kind of both of Preservation and of Ruin, no?

That was Ruin's whispering.

• Chaos locked this topic