New kandra in scadrial second age

Niropa

Why are there no new kandra being created in Scadrials second age? (I am explicitly not talking about the trell version.) I can think of 4 possibilities, which all have some interesting implications:

1    Moral prohibition. Harmony or the kandra themselves are aggressively not cool with making more blessings.

2    Lack of knowledge. The process of making blessings is tricky in some way, and Harmony has decided not to share the method.

3    Lack of juveniles. The mist wraiths are gone and the living kandra do not know how to do, or are incapable of, the biological side of reproduction. 

4    This entire question is wrong. There are new kandra being made and we do not know about it yet. 

Comments in shadows of self make me think it is primarily the first, but there are enough ways around that that I wonder if the others also come in to play. My personal favorite hypothetical plot involves a radical branch of the path deciding that there is no better way to end their lives than giving themselves to create a new faceless immortal. It has all sorts of fun implications. From members choosing the person with whom to blend their soul, to the new kandra receiving the bones of their "parents" To questions about inheriting personality or other traits. 

Any other theories?

3 hours ago, Yata said:

It's the first.

A new Blessing requires two murders and Harmony&Kandra are aganist this. Without fresh Blessings they are unable to create new Kandras.

I agree that Harmony would be against making new spikes, but Meelan mentions that the kandra can die if they wish, and implies that some of the older kandra have already done so. This would mean that there are at least a few pairs of spikes out there (from older kandra) that Harmony would probably be willing to use.

I suppose its possible that they aren't reusable the way Koloss spikes are, but I don't see why not.

10 minutes ago, Sliverofnone said:

TenSoon was able to use OreSeur's Blessing after he killed him. I can't see the Blessing wouldn't be reusable.

TenSoon was able to use OreSeur's spike in addition to his own. 

While I think that the spikes could be reused, I think there's kind of a cultural prohibition against it. The blessings are a part of the individual Kandra. Using another Kandra's blessings is akin to wearing another person's skin

48 minutes ago, Calderis said:

TenSoon was able to use OreSeur's spike in addition to his own. 

While I think that the spikes could be reused, I think there's kind of a cultural prohibition against it. The blessings are a part of the individual Kandra. Using another Kandra's blessings is akin to wearing another person's skin

Yes it was in addition to his own, but this only implies it is usable after it is removed from the kandra who originally owned it, not that is limited in its use. But I agree with the cultural prohibition, I was just speculating on the possibility.

1 minute ago, Sliverofnone said:

Yes it was in addition to his own, but this only implies it is usable after it is removed from the kandra who originally owned it, not that is limited in its use. But I agree with the cultural prohibition, I was just speculating on the possibility.

Your timing is impeccable. Was searching for something else on Kandra and found this. I think it's purely cultural. 

BlackYeti

Kandra, you're not getting any more of those. But they can die, so what's stopping them from creating new kandra out of the mistwraith by recycling the Blessings?

Brandon Sanderson

That is mostly just cultural.

*paraphrased* In The Bands of Mourning, you might expect to see kandra using other kandra's spikes.

• Chaos locked this topic