4 minutes ago, Yata said:

Did you realize the amount of Bronze she would need ? To pierce a Coppercould she would need tons of Bronze and she would need to flare it....Before Kelsier gave her a vial of metal, Vin always performed Allomancy with some metallic traces she casually eated/drinked. Probably she never reached the point of her regolar burning before Kel

Yeah I realize she would not have had a Reserve or anything, But just as she used "Luck" she would have had the abilities to use other abilities as sparingly as she used that, Unkowingly burning the Pewter off of platewear or cups.Things like that, nothing too obvious, nothing very strong, but she was able to influence people without swallowing a vial of metals. Just what she naturally collected and always took a while to recharge.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys...in light of certain unpublished chapters just posted on Brandon's website...I'm gonna make a crazy jump here.

Nightblood's sheath is made out of flippin' Dragonsteel.

Andy-Dwyer-Shock.gif

Edit: For reference here is a good chunk from the released Dragonsteel chapter that describes the stuff in question. It's always described as silver colored.

Most magnificent, however, were its colors. It was a pure, deep black, and its skin was crossed with silver lines. The metallic sheen outlined the creature’s body, running along the edges of the wings and across its chest. The lines of silver ran up the sides of the dragon’s neck, outlining its jaw and its reptilian head, then melded in the middle of its forehead, forming into a knife-like silver horn that jutted at an angle back from its skull.

And, standing close to the creature like he was, he could feel something from the silvery metal. Power.

“Dragonsteel,” Jerick whispered. That was how the metal had gotten its name. It wasn’t because the wells were so close to Fain lands, it was because dragons grew it on their bodies.

Edited by The Invested Beard

On 23-9-2017 at 11:41 AM, blueshard said:

asHonestly, I think your on to something. It has always bothered me that silver is not an Allomantic metal. Gold, Copper, etc. all other metals are allomantic but not silver? Come on. I think there is a secret silver we still have to uncover.

There's symmetry to the crystal structures of the allomantic metals, it would have to replace either Tin, Copper, Aluminium or Gold, which are all good fits as metals that have been known for a long time, except aluminium (which fits better with Brandon's goal of not having it be known except by the LR and his lackeys). The other four metals have different structures than silver has, and therefore wouldn't fit at all.

On 25-9-2017 at 9:16 PM, Salkara said:

This might be going a bit too deep. Per the TFE annotations, silver was initially going to be the internal pulling metal, so if there's any significance, it was written in much later in the writing process.

Interestingly enough, by 'fixing' this mistakes, Brandon made another mistake, as Tin (as I mentioned above) does indeed have the correct crystal structure... but only below 13 degrees C. Above that, it has a different crystal structure and breaks the correct symmetry.

He should've just replaced Pewter and left Silver in, I guess...

On 10-10-2017 at 2:08 PM, Yata said:

Actually also if the connection between Steel/Iron Allomancy and magnetism is intuitive. The two things are not even related, Allomancy didn't use any kind of magnetic force to work

How do we know there is no relationship between magnetism and steel/iron allomancy? I personally believe that magnetism (or more generally, electromagnetic force) is related directly to the basis of the Cosmere, and would therefore be one of the 'easiest' ways to let out Investiture and get stuff done. At the very least I accidentally explained it when writing that theory in my signature, though of course I'm aiming pretty high with it and it might just be plain wrong.

• 2 years later...
On 9/23/2017 at 4:41 AM, blueshard said:

Honestly, I think your on to something. It has always bothered me that silver is not an Allomantic metal. Gold, Copper, etc. all other metals are allomantic but not silver? Come on. I think there is a secret silver we still have to uncover.

"There's always another secret....." - Kelsier

12 hours ago, SurvivorofHathsin said:

You do realize this thread was three years dead right?

But of the seven easiest metals to get

Gold

Silver

Copper

Tin

Lead

Mercury

Iron

Silver is one of only three that aren't Allomantic, but Mercury is liquid so that would be two.

Edited by Frustration

Just read this entire thread thinking that if people were talking about it maybe there had been a big breakthrough on silver or aluminum. Goes Without saying that I just ascended a tiny bit to Frustation.

Now being more serious, a simple WoB search will give 

1- "Questioner

What's the deal with silver? Why does it not fit cleanly into the Allomantic metals, why is aluminum a special one and not silver. Why is it silver powder and not aluminum powder on Threnody? These kinds of questions.

Brandon Sanderson

Do you want the in-world answer... or the writerly answer?

Questioner

Well really I want the in-world answer.

Brandon Sanderson

...The in-world answer is that people are not sure yet.

Questioner

Well, that's not the in-world answer. That's the in world answer from Khriss, right? What about the in-world answer from--

Brandon Sanderson

That's the in-world answer--they're not sure yet...

The writerly answer is that we started with silver in place of tin. And by the time I swapped it out, aluminum was already its thing. If I had to do it over again, I might make silver aluminum, but I wanted what aluminum does to be rare, and silver isn't. So I might not have. I love what aluminum does because it's super-rare pre-industrial, but you hit industrial and it's everywhere.

So it allowed me to do, when we get to modern era, to have real checks on Allomancy as Allomancy gets more powerful."

And

2- "Kenzal

Would it make an Allomancer sick if they tried to burn pure silver?

Brandon Sanderson

As it stands right now, nothing would happen, because they would know if it did. Good question. Silver has some weird properties, but on Scadrial they are largely undiscovered."

(But existent???)

And a bunch of others implying that silver Will play a major Cosmere role and when we actually get it's investiture related abilities canonnized we will all be like "OMG this is so coooool and I never Even expected it, but now that I see it it makes total sense!"( Typical fan reaction to a Sanderson revelation)

Look if not for anything else Silver will have an important rol on Cosmere just because BS has been wanting to give it to it ever since he had to change silvereyes to tineyes. What was taken must be resturned: the ship of allomantic abilities for silver has long sailed away, but it's journey of Cosmere significance has just begun....

Something of relevance with my last post

On 8/28/2020 at 11:09 AM, Frustration said:

You do realize this thread was three years dead right?

But of the seven easiest metals to get

Gold

Silver

Copper

Tin

Lead

Mercury

Iron

Silver is one of only three that aren't Allomantic, but Mercury is liquid so that would be two.

Brandon Sanderson

I intentionally didn't use lead or mercury in my magic systems because I knew they would kick people out. When you say, "People are eating lead," even in a fantasy book, it's gonna make some snickers. People are gonna stop and be like, "Wait a minute... this is a bad idea." And as my popularity's grown, I've become more and more aware of how many times I'm going to have to answer the same question if I put it in my book. I'm so glad I didn't use lead because at every signing, I would be answering fifty or sixty times, "You do know that lead's a bad idea to eat, right?"

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/395/#e13406

So that makes silver not being Allomantic even more suspicious.

On 8/27/2020 at 9:30 PM, SurvivorofHathsin said:

...you necro'd a thread that was dead for almost three years. You might want to familiarize yourself with the site rules and note that while necromancy isn't always frowned upon, doing it to add a post that contains no useful content is.

Oh, and welcome to the Shard, please enjoy a complimentary cookie. There (probably) isn't a hemalurgic spike hidden in it.