Feeling VERY hopeless about live action adaptation of cosmere

Slothspren

So, probably like everyone else I was kinda disappointed when I first read that TWoK was going to be adopted into movie first, and almost lost all hope when I  saw that the Saw movie guys involved in it. But I still had some hopes for Mistborn at least. And today I read a story on deadline (from earlier this year), that they have hired  F Scott Frazier for movie adaptation. I checked his IMDB page and now I have completely lost hope in Cosmere adaptation. Why ? because the guy has only 3-4 or movies under his belt. And all of them are solid 5/10 junk movies. 
I can almost foresee Cosmere movies joining the long list of failed adaptations. ;( 

It seems like a really daunting undertaking, doesn't it? I don't know how well the Cosmere will ever translate into movie format, but at very least we can hope that even a bad movie experience will bring more audience attention to Brandon's written work. And if they get it right, well, the movies could really be something special. 

I share your apprehension, though. 

15 minutes ago, Firerust said:

"If at first you don't succeed: try, try again."

I would apply this to the cosmere movies. If they turn out bad, what's the harm of giving them another shot with better chances?

When they give away the movie rights, there needs to be time interval for another production to take the movie rights. If one person does not succeed and we have to wait for another set of actions, that means we have to really wait for literally years before we see another movie. 

Some of you would recall what happened with the Chronicles of Narnia. After the latest movie, the producer said that they won't be making new movies, which meant that a certain amount of time needed to pass even before it could be negotiated who would be next to take the movie rights.

That's just one poor example. Live action movies have always sucked... Death Note, Shingeki No Kyojin, Avatar and many many more.. 

Another example: Though how much I liked the adaptations of the Lord of the Rings, I sometimes wish that that books shouldn't have been adapted into movies. As for the Hobbit, I do believe that the whole thing was a disaster.. 

My point is that something should be left on the pages and pages alone...

13 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I for one am optimistic. After all, Peter Jackson hadn't done much except for gory horror movies (I think) before making the best movies of all time - The Lord of the Rings. 

I will stay positive, as I generally am positive and excited for movie adaptions (Eragon sucked though).

I totally agree. The LOTR movies were a massive triumph, and if Stormlight (or any Brandon property) received similarly respectful treatment from its producers and directors, it could be absolutely epic.

9 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I for one am optimistic. After all, Peter Jackson hadn't done much except for gory horror movies (I think) before making the best movies of all time - The Lord of the Rings. 

I will stay positive, as I generally am positive and excited for movie adaptions (Eragon sucked though).

Eragon was an experiment work, both on paper and on screen. Christopher Paolini's first work was to be a trilogy, but because he had some idea in the middle of the writing, he decided to write some more (or maybe he saw that the first book was a success so he wanted to earn some more money, we can never know)

Another example: Shannara of Chronicles. What a mess; it is an adaptation; even the producers accept that. It is just based on the book. Characters are bad; acting is terrible; the whole thing is made to respond to the needs of what we call popular-culture.. 

8 hours ago, btcannon said:

I totally agree. The LOTR movies were a massive triumph, and if Stormlight (or any Brandon property) received similarly respectful treatment from its producers and directors, it could be absolutely epic.

No matter how extensive LOTR books were, the main event could be packed into three movies; you can exclude some parts and still have the main story line intact. 

I don't think you can do the same with Stormlight Archives. From the first point onwards, the variety of characters would make it difficult to form a plot that would bind that together. There are also some flashbacks as well. Kaladin's scenes (and his flashbacks) and Khalan's scenes are at first totally different from each other. Remember, there are at least two more main characters who deserve a protagonist treatment.

If someone can do this to my liking, I'll eat Wayne's hat.  

6 minutes ago, Mierinx said:

No matter how extensive LOTR books were, the main event could be packed into three movies; you can exclude some parts and still have the main story line intact. 

I don't think you can do the same with Stormlight Archives. From the first point onwards, the variety of characters would make it difficult to form a plot that would bind that together. There are also some flashbacks as well. Kaladin's scenes (and his flashbacks) and Khalan's scenes are at first totally different from each other. Remember, there are at least two more main characters who deserve a protagonist treatment.

Valid points. I mean, LOTR follows a lot of characters and complex subplots too, but I agree that Stormlight would pose quite a challenge. 

I'm not sure Wayne will be letting you anywhere near his hat after that comment, though, haha. :)

2 hours ago, Mierinx said:

Eragon was an experiment work, both on paper and on screen. Christopher Paolini's first work was to be a trilogy, but because he had some idea in the middle of the writing, he decided to write some more (or maybe he saw that the first book was a success so he wanted to earn some more money, we can never know)

Experimentation or not, I found the books very good, and the movie terrible. It is good for laughing at with friends, but nothing else.

Another example: Shannara of Chronicles. What a mess; it is an adaptation; even the producers accept that. It is just based on the book. Characters are bad; acting is terrible; the whole thing is made to respond to the needs of what we call popular-culture.. 

Can't comment on Shannara, since I haven't read the books or seen the show. I heard Manu Bennett was quite good though.

As for LotR, I am one of those who thinks that the movies are much better than the books. 

This I fully agree with. It should be made into a series with Game of Thrones like budget (preferrably even more than that).

13 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Can't comment on Shannara, since I haven't read the books or seen the show. I heard Manu Bennett was quite good though.

First thing to say: I think you should read it :) That's quite an adventure in itself... and the only reason why I watched the first season and liked it as well was Manu Bennett's performance. 

14 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

As for LotR, I am one of those who thinks that the movies are much better than the books. 

I like the books better maybe because it was the first books of fantasy I read even before the movies came out. I think we should remember the reason behind the book's existence: Tolkien wanted to write an epic for England. (also the main reason for the existence of Silmarillion) In one of his letters, he talks about how sad he is to see that England does not have a myth of his own. He doesn't see Beowulf as pure English...

The movies were really good, I agree. I may even watch all three again for the hundredth time this weekend, too :D 

12 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Eragon almost caused me physical pain. Percy Jackson wasn't great either. They're two book series I hold dear, so I'm fiercely protective of other good books being made into movies. It can be done well, it's just not very likely.

I feel like Mistborn fits better to movie adaptation, but Stormlight is too large a scale to properly do it justice.

I'm hoping for the best, but also expecting the worst.

8 hours ago, Caesura said:

I feel like Mistborn fits better to movie adaptation, but Stormlight is too large a scale to properly do it justice.

I agree. Only way I see Stormlight working is a TV series like we have seen with GoT. 

Speaking of bad adaptations (most of you guys may be too young to remember this movie) Dune was probably one of the worst I have seen. 

I think that the interest in the story generated by Tor releasing the Oathbringer chapters (3-at-a-time once each week) has proven that a serialization (i.e. TV show) would be perfectly suited to The Stormlight Archive. People (on this site at least) are talking about a novel the way that half of the internet talks about each new Game of Thrones episode after it airs.

Edited by KidWayne

I would honestly be surprised if the movie ends up in cinema (even as a limited release). Most likely it would be a 4/10 Imdb score straigh to dvd/vod.  

The reality is that fantasy if not done right and expensive it would fail. Apart from the Lotr, hobbit and the first narnia everything else is a disaster. 

Stephen King, the guy that has a movie for every book, gave his magnum opus to be massacred with a 50m budget. 

If you ask me, the marvel cinematic universe sistem could effectively be implemented in the cosmere, starting

(all of them have to have something that connects them, like hoid + a watcher or something)

mistborn 1

mistborn 2

elantris

nightblood 1

mistborn 3

Woc 

max and wayne 

elantris 2

wor

maz wayne 2

elantris 2

max and wayne 3

Oathbreaker

Elantris 3

max and wayne 4

nightblood 2

SA 4

2 movies per year and this is already a 9 year project.

I really don't get the disappointment. We are very lucky to be able to get a adaption of our favorite books; many fans of books don't get that opportunity. If its great movie then awesome! If it is horrible pretend it doesn't exist and go back to enjoying the books. The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey is one of my favorite book series. I am not a fan of the television adaption so I turned it off and went back to enjoying the books; it didn't work out for me, but I am thankful a attempt was made.

On 9/19/2017 at 8:00 AM, btcannon said:

It seems like a really daunting undertaking, doesn't it? I don't know how well the Cosmere will ever translate into movie format, but at very least we can hope that even a bad movie experience will bring more audience attention to Brandon's written work. And if they get it right, well, the movies could really be something special. 

On 9/20/2017 at 10:50 AM, Caesura said:

Eragon almost caused me physical pain. Percy Jackson wasn't great either. They're two book series I hold dear, so I'm fiercely protective of other good books being made into movies. It can be done well, it's just not very likely.

I'm hoping for the best, but also expecting the worst.

13 hours ago, Martin4os said:

I would honestly be surprised if the movie ends up in cinema (even as a limited release). Most likely it would be a 4/10 Imdb score straigh to dvd/vod.  

I dont think if bad movies will bring more audience. If anything they might do the opposite. I personally have not read many of the popular books like percy jackson or shannara chronicles and inheritance cycle  etc. because of the disappointing adaptations even though they have been on my list.
I agree with most of the people hoping for mistborn movie and SA series but seeing the current crew, I am fast losing hope, especially after this hiring of misborn writer.  

14 hours ago, Martin4os said:

The reality is that fantasy if not done right and expensive it would fail. Apart from the Lotr, hobbit and the first narnia everything else is a disaster.

The second Narnia is great.

Oh, and @Slothspren, read Percy Jackson. They are quick reads and you are defenitely missing out. 

11 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I really don't get the disappointment. We are very lucky to be able to get a adaption of our favorite books; many fans of books don't get that opportunity. If its great movie then awesome! If it is horrible pretend it doesn't exist and go back to enjoying the books. The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey is one of my favorite book series. I am not a fan of the television adaption so I turned it off and went back to enjoying the books; it didn't work out for me, but I am thankful a attempt was made.

I agree. I'm excited for a movie. Every person irl I've bothered trying to explain SA to has immediately said, "that would be a sweet/cool/awesome/interesting movie/series." 

If even one of those people decides to pick up the book because of interest in a movie, I'll be happy. 

On 9/22/2017 at 5:57 AM, KidWayne said:

I think that the interest in the story generated by Tor releasing the Oathbringer chapters (3-at-a-time once each week) has proven that a serialization (i.e. TV show) would be perfectly suited to The Stormlight Archive. People (on this site at least) are talking about a novel the way that half of the internet talks about each new Game of Thrones episode after it airs.

The Game of Thrones format would be perfect for Stormlight imo - spend a little bit of time with each POV character each week, and overall get much more screentime to tell the story.

15 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

The second Narnia is great.

Oh, and @Slothspren, read Percy Jackson. They are quick reads and you are defenitely missing out. 

Prince Caspian is a half decent movie on its own, but not a faithful adaptation of the book. That's where a lot of the complaints come from - unnecessary fight scenes, forced love story, addition of characters who have no good reason to be where they are, to add more ~drama~ and ~action~ to it.

On 9/22/2017 at 1:42 PM, Ammanas said:

I don't think it's so much disappointment as reservation. I'm sure most of us will watch any adaptations that are made. It's just that, based on numerous previous adaptations and the people involved, there is a high chance it won't be done too well, so we're not getting our hopes up too much.

4 hours ago, Caesura said:

Prince Caspian is a half decent movie on its own, but not a faithful adaptation of the book. That's where a lot of the complaints come from - unnecessary fight scenes, forced love story, addition of characters who have no good reason to be where they are, to add more ~drama~ and ~action~ to it.

I actually consider it better than the book. I think the characters are better in the movie, and the action scene they added is actually the most entertaining part of the movie. Overall, I think it worked better than the book version.

On 20/09/2017 at 10:12 AM, Mierinx said:

First thing to say: I think you should read it :) That's quite an adventure in itself... and the only reason why I watched the first season and liked it as well was Manu Bennett's performance. 

I like the books better maybe because it was the first books of fantasy I read even before the movies came out. I think we should remember the reason behind the book's existence: Tolkien wanted to write an epic for England. (also the main reason for the existence of Silmarillion) In one of his letters, he talks about how sad he is to see that England does not have a myth of his own. He doesn't see Beowulf as pure English...

The movies were really good, I agree. I may even watch all three again for the hundredth time this weekend, too :D 

What about King Arthur?!

17 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I actually consider it better than the book. I think the characters are better in the movie, and the action scene they added is actually the most entertaining part of the movie. Overall, I think it worked better than the book version.

I don't have much of a problem with it; I'm not familiar enough with the books to pass judgement. My mum read the series to me when I was a kid, it's her complaint :P

21 hours ago, Mrs. Delightful Ferring said:

What about King Arthur?!

King Arthur is Roman-affiliated, as far as I am concerned; there are many influences on the story that are not British/English at all...

That's also quite mythical.. In Michael Cohen's book, titled J. R. R. Tolkien, he talks about this in detail.. 

The idea struck me when I first read it but when it comes to Tolkien, I generally tend to think that he has some other agenda in mind.

• Chaos locked this topic