Deep Dive!

AMMcCann

Digging through my Audible account, so very many years back now it seems, I came across this cool covered book with a sci-fi themed name. I thought, 'Hell, I like cool covers and sci-fi theme more than food.' I added to cart and continued my progression of spending a few credits I'd forgotten about over my monthly membership accruals. Some Jordan here, some Goodkind there, some Pratchett over that way, 'What the hell I'll throw in some I Am Legend while I'm at it.' I made sure to listen to samples from each to ensure I could stomach the narrator, holy cow how a narrator can make or break a book let me tell you.

It turns out all were decent enough for my commute. I started with a small dose of a short read of I Am Legend; I'm here to tell you that is a much better book and a great reader by Audible, no offense Will Smith, you did fine. The second shortest read was this cool covered book by a writer I'd never heard of, couldn't even remember the title as I pushed play on the thing. Jack Garret did a great job portraying the characters; he helped fuel my addiction to audiobook performances that leave my imagination far off in second place. I can still feel my stubbed toe in never-ending pain, pure misery I tell you.

Elantris was the entry for many, as was it mine. I can't tell you the complete despair I felt when Jordan passed on, only to have the world righted again when Sanderson was announced to finish the Wheel of Time series. You see, I had just finished the Mistborn Trilogy not having anymore Wheel to finish and had become completely enthralled with this new style of writer I was reading. I've kept up with every addition to Brandon's collection since and have been more than inspired to start my own body of work, as well, by his creations. 

All these things bring us to today. I've come to a point where I have some extra time on my hands and am pursuing more of my love for writing and creating worlds while I finish off a degree I've always wanted. Hope to do a re-read of the Stormlight series here soon and looking to join like-minded individuals.

“If you give up what you want most for what you think you should want more, you'll end up miserable.” 
 Brandon Sanderson, The Hero of Ages

1 hour ago, btcannon said:

Welcome onboard, and best of luck with your own creative endeavors! It's awesome how many people Brandon has inspired to create their own work. That's a mark of a true master, I think.

Thanks, and absolutely. Inspiration is truly the end goal when it comes to writing, life, raising my kids. I hope to entertain at least a couple people of course, but to inspire someone, as well, fantastic.