The Power of Nightblood

Aon Ati

Hello 17th shard. I just want put out a question out on the forum for the first time and see how it goes. My question is, how far do Nightblood's destructive abilities go? We know that he can cut through all three realms, but does that mean he can destroy, for instance, radiation? Something which is in the physical realm but is very hard to simply attack with a weapon. Say a wall of fire is coming toward you and you pull out Nightblood to block the flames. Will the sword melt away the flames or could something else happen? Please give comments on what you think are Nightbloods limits in these situations.

I believe Nightblood would be able to offer a margin of defense aganist those things as if it manages to destroy their Cognitive and Spiritual they will be erased from existence (like the solid things are)...The problem here lies in how hard is to manage to destroy those Minds and Souls

Edited by Yata

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2017 at 11:14 PM, Aon Ati said:

Say a wall of fire is coming toward you and you pull out Nightblood to block the flames. Will the sword melt away the flames or could something else happen?

I'd imagine that any flame that touched Nightblood would disappear, but I'm not sure about all of it. Gases, Liquids and other Non-Solids are.. interesting cases.

For instance, if you swung Nightblood into a lake, would he destroy the water drop by drop or all at once? We view a wall as one object, but we also sorta view a lake as one object. He doesn't destroy open air(that we know of), so gases might be safe. We really don't know.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:14 AM, Aon Ati said:

Hello 17th shard. I just want put out a question out on the forum for the first time and see how it goes. My question is, how far do Nightblood's destructive abilities go? We know that he can cut through all three realms, but does that mean he can destroy, for instance, radiation? Something which is in the physical realm but is very hard to simply attack with a weapon. Say a wall of fire is coming toward you and you pull out Nightblood to block the flames. Will the sword melt away the flames or could something else happen? Please give comments on what you think are Nightbloods limits in these situations.

I think I need to read WarBreaker again, where does it state that about Nightblood? Did I miss it?

3 hours ago, Knghtstlker said:

I think I need to read WarBreaker again, where does it state that about Nightblood? Did I miss it?

It's never explicity stated. Those information come directly by Brandon.

Anyway for the ones who know about Realmatic is quite oblious that Nightblood cuts beyond the physical. We saw in other Cosmere's stories how something that cut on the physical and Spiritual works....and NB's wounds are something beyond a simply cut in the body and soul

1 hour ago, Yata said:

It's never explicity stated. Those information come directly by Brandon.

Anyway for the ones who know about Realmatic is quite oblious that Nightblood cuts beyond the physical. We saw in other Cosmere's stories how something that cut on the physical and Spiritual works....and NB's wounds are something beyond a simply cut in the body and soul

So is it safe to assume that if a regular sword pierces physical, shard blades pierce cognitive/physical(Not simotaneously), and Nightblood/Awakened Blades pierce all three? It is often said that Shardblades cut the soul away, Spren bound people of at least the 2nd set of words can heal the wounds inflicted by a shard blade, Spren come from cognitive realm. So does that mean Nightblood can sever spirit, physical, and cognitive. Meaning that he can cut through shardblades? Even live spren blades are that of the cognitive realm "Shadesmar"? All hypotheticals, I'm confused on the three realms listed. Also, does that mean that awakened blades are far superior than Honor blades, or Live spren blades not only because "He" can slice all three realms simotaneously? The implications of this are dangerous if Kaladin and he ever cross weapons again. Kal is likely to spring to attack quickly if he sees him. Any thoughts?

This is warbreaker's subform, you need to place the stuff of other novel in a Spoiler tag (it has an "eye" icon in the edit pannel)

4 minutes ago, Knghtstlker said:

So is it safe to assume that if a regular sword pierces physical, shard blades pierce cognitive/physical(Not simotaneously), and Nightblood/Awakened Blades pierce all three? 

Not exactly, I know what you are refferring to but "shardblade" is a wider term, Nightblood itself is a Shardblade. Anyway "your Shardblade" indeed cut the physical and the spiritual (not the cognitive).

About the rest of your question, NB cuts all the realms so you may imagine that nothing is completely safe...but remember that Investiture interferes with other Investiture so an insanely Invested object like the Shardblades are is a troublesome target for NB

This doesn't give a concrete answer to your question but I liked this WoB (Word of Brandon).

ARGENT

Can Nightblood damage or kill a Shard?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Nightblood is not powerful enough for-- weird ehhh sound

ARGENT

Is he that powerful?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Damage? Yes. How damaging? Is a subject to discussion. Nightblood contains a /lot/ of Investiture.

23 hours ago, shadowwisp said:

This doesn't give a concrete answer to your question but I liked this WoB (Word of Brandon).

FINALLY, Thank you for clearing up the WoB reference, I had not caught the explanation for that one, nor had I bothered being confused enough to google it yet. BTW, Google RAFO, Srsly. I want a Brandon Sanderson signature that has Rafo on it. I think it's his superhero catchphrase. Well, in his case nerdy freeze frame high 5 moment from the 80's.

Anywho, Yes I have read that particular one and it's not clear, it sounds like there's more to it than something like an honorblade wielded by a Shin monk protecting them from Szeth who visits Shinovar to warn/murder everyone depending on his mood. It sounds like more than just prowess that since NB Feeds off Investiture, perhaps it can leech it from the opponent as well as the wielder. Could be a fun fight.

• Chaos locked this topic