Catie

Is Wit a Lightweaver/Truthwatcher?

16 posts in this topic

Is Wit a Surgebinder? When he tells Kaladin stories, like in the plateau with his flute, or when Kal's in jail, Kaladin describes being able to physically see the stories that Wit tells. We know that Truthwatchers and Lightweavers have access to the illumination surge, so could he be a Surgebinder? I don't have any detailed theories, but I'd like to hear yours!

It has been confirmed that this is yolish lightweaving and not in fact related to the KR.

@Catie Wit is... Something special. I don't want to spoil to much, but he's a character who has made appearances in almost every Cosmere novel, and some of his magics predate the Shards.

As Nathrangking said he has Yolish Lightweaving (from Yolen) which produces similar effects, but not from the same source. 

@Calderis

yes, I figured Hoid doesnt have anything to do with the KR, just because he's in every other book and can't really be limited to one world's power, but I wanted to know if he could lightweave or if it was a similar but different power.

He could use an Lightweaving like magic from Yolen (his Homeland).

How this magic works is unknown as no Canon material exist yet to explain It.

We know only that Yolish Lightweaving is Canon because It's mentioned into Ars Arcanum.

I thought that I had read somewhere that Hoid is hacking magic systems.  I actually didn't know about yolish lightweaving so thanks for that little tidbit.  Also as a side note(not sure how relevant it is) but in Shallan's flashbacks we do in fact see hoid down a vial of metals and either riot or sooth Shallans father's emotions

@stonedshaman I totally missed that! Could you ref the chapter/page number so I can go back and read it?

@Yata which story in Ars Arcanum are you getting this from? I haven't read them all

@Catie I can't really give specifics as I am currently at work and my book is at home.  It's during Shallan' s flashback of the fair when she thinks that Hoid is going to poison her father

Edited by stonedshaman
Fat thumbs make for typos

Chapter 45, Middlefest page 525

"It turned out that he had finished that meeting only to start another. A man she did not know sat next to Father with a cup of chilled water in one hand. Tall , slender, and blue-eyed, he had deep black hair without a hint of impurity and wore clothing the same shade. He glanced at Shallan as she stepped up into the box.

The man started, dropping his cup to the table. He caught it with a swift lunge, keeping it from tipping over , then turned to stare at her with a slack jaw.

Shallan turned back to the newcomer. She caught, with a subtle movement, the man slipping something from his coat pocket and moving it up toward the drinks. A shock coursed through Shallan. She raised a hand. Poison—"

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

1 hour ago, Catie said:

which story in Ars Arcanum are you getting this from? I haven't read them all

The Ars Arcanum is the final section in many of Brandon's books that explains the magic system. In Words of Radiance, it mentions Yolish lightweaving.

Not to be confused with Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of cosmere short fiction.

@Pagerunner ahh I see. I saw Arcanum and immediately thought Arcanum Unbounded. My mistake :)

19 hours ago, Catie said:

@stonedshaman I totally missed that! Could you ref the chapter/page number so I can go back and read it?

@Yata which story in Ars Arcanum are you getting this from? I haven't read them all

Mistborn secret history spoiler

hoid take a bead of lerasium in the well of the ascension, the same bead given to elend. we don't know if he is only a soother or a full mistborn (lerasium can be alloyed with another allomancy metal, the result if assumed make the recepit a mistling of such metal

Why would anyone even want to make an alloy out of lerasium to become just a misting? If Hoid is a misting and not mistborn, I would be very surprised if it was because he alloyed lerasium.