[OB] Oathbringer chapters 7-9

Steeldancer

15 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

It goes very well along with a Death Rattle. There is no other baby of significance in the story yet. And having Kaladin being put in a situation where he is forced to kill his other brother to save the world would be a great end to Stormlight 5.

Nah, it would suck. I mean, why would something like that need to happen? Seems just a gratuitous way to put a character in a bad spot.

Unless kaladn's brother was totally possessed by some other entity, in which case it wouldn't be kaladin's brother anymore, and there would be no real reason to use him for that scene.

14 minutes ago, axcellence said:

AWESOME READ!!

I am wondering why no one else has cottoned on.  Something terrible has happened at Kohlinar.  The riot was one thing, but the whole city has fallen silent on spanreed... sounds omnious.  They'd have the max parshmen as well.

well, we know the city was rioting, and they faced the everstorm. something is definitely going bad there, yes, but we don't know what still.

“Highprince Dalinar Kholin,” Kaladin said, Stormlight puffing before his lips, “has refounded the Knights Radiant. And this time, we will not fail you.”

The expressions in the room ranged from adoring to terrified. Kaladin found his father’s face. Lirin’s jaw had dropped. Hesina clutched her infant child in her arms, and her expression was one of pure delight, an awespren bursting around her head in a blue ring.

You I will protect, little one, Kaladin thought at the child. I will protect them all.

Had moisture in my eyes reading this. So many emotions.

4 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Where did he say that it was unexpected? 

I thought that I was surely dead. Certainly, some who saw further than I did thought I had fallen.

—From Oathbringer, preface

I think I miss remembered, this quote. But now that I think about it, it could be support for a Herald.

Just re-read them for a second time.

I need to know if Shallan could not draw the city because she could not get the right perspective, or if it was because there is something other about the tower.

Also, Kaladin's anime moment, where he powers up, glows, levitates and summons a spear, before flying off leaving a glowing trail.  All we are missing is some windspren swirling around his feet, while small pebbles levitate and his hair turns blond.

1 minute ago, Stark said:

I need to know if Shallan could not draw the city because she could not get the right perspective, or if it was because there is something other about the tower.

My initial thought that perhaps her inability to draw it might be somehow related to her internal conflict at having to face her worst memory. And also the tower is friggin' huge and complex.

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

All we are missing is some windspren swirling around his feet, while small pebbles levitate and his hair turns blond.

Nah. He doesn't have enough stormlight at the moment. He needs more than 9,000 stormlight for the blonde hair thing.

22 minutes ago, Nef said:

I wonder if Kaladin will pick up some more squires besides the members of bridge 4? I think it would be interesting if a female character (eg. Laral) became a windrunner member.

I don't see Laral at all as being a squire, she grew up to be one of the arrogant light eyes that Kaladin hates.  When Kaladin reminds her the way Roshone treated his father and how he as good as killed Tien, she replies that Lirin had spoken bad of Roshone.  

8 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

So it's a fidget cube?

Thank you for that.  Now I am envisioning (in horror) Radiant parents handing their toddlers Shardspinners.  Although something interesting could likely be done with fabrials!

1 minute ago, Snakh said:

Nah. He doesn't have enough stormlight at the moment. He needs more than 9,000 stormlight for the blonde hair thing.

This is actually an effect of Breath, and may be the origin of the Royal Locks.

6 minutes ago, redbishop said:

This is actually an effect of Breath, and may be the origin of the Royal Locks.

You people keep inadvertently reminding me that I still need to read Warbreaker. I think it's the only Cosmere novel I haven't read yet. I also haven't read White Sand, but it's technically not a novel. I do most of my reading in the form of audiobooks, and there isn't one for White Sand and there won't be one. I'll probably eventually pony up for it though.

1 minute ago, lol_king said:

It would be great if Kaladin meets Jasnah on his hunt. I want her back in the main story as soon as possible. 

Also i wonder if Lift will join the other radiants at Urithru, if they can unlock the oathgates that is. 

I likewise want her back in the story. I was thrilled at the end of WoR that she's not dead. She's a total BAMF and I love her for it.

Meanwhile, Lift is one of my very favorite characters and I very much hope she joins the main cast at some point, if only to see what in the world Dalinar would make of her.

Edited by Snakh

2 minutes ago, Snakh said:

You people keep inadvertently reminding me that I still need to read Warbreaker. I think it's the only Cosmere novel I haven't read yet. I also haven't read White Sand, but it's technically not a novel. I do most of my reading in the form of audiobooks, and there isn't one for White Sand and there won't be one. I'll probably eventually pony up for it though.

Oh man you are missing out big time. It's one of the best imho.

2 minutes ago, Snakh said:

Tongue was firmly in cheek, but it is worth the read/listen.  The UA audiobook has a portion of a prose version of White Sand, I believe.  I did the same, audiobook-wise, although I got White Sand for the reason you mentioned.  And I'm about to break down and get hard copies of SA, at the least.

11 minutes ago, Daishi5 said:

I don't see Laral at all as being a squire, she grew up to be one of the arrogant light eyes that Kaladin hates.  When Kaladin reminds her the way Roshone treated his father and how he as good as killed Tien, she replies that Lirin had spoken bad of Roshone.  

Yeah, rereading that passage, it felt quite off from her:

"roshone killed my brother and made my family suffer for years"

"yeah, but your father insulted roshone, so roshone was justified"

Ok, it wasn't exactly what it meant, but it read a lot like that. Still, I think laral has a better capacity than kaladin to see all sides. kaladin has been trained militarily to think in terms of "us" and "then", he even states so in the first book. He doesn't give a fair chance at his opponents.

3 minutes ago, Snakh said:

Why not go ahead and do it? you can download it for free at any time from brandon's site

7 minutes ago, Snakh said:

Meanwhile, Lift is one of my very favorite characters and I very much hope she joins the main cast at some point, if only to see what in the world Dalinar would make of her.

Well, we know that she definitely will, since she's one of the flashback characters in 6-10, but I wouldn't be surprised if she remains an Interlude character for the first five. It does sound like they'll be interacting with Gawx soon, though, so they ought to at least hear about her.

Just now, king of nowhere said:

Why not go ahead and do it? you can download it for free at any time from brandon's site

I'll probably just pick up the Audible audiobook. I haven't used my September credit yet, and I'm nearly finished with Arcanum Unbounded. Isn't the one available for free an earlier draft anyway?

With the importance on rocks being emphasized (Urithiru looking like it's "carved out of rock", the holiness of rock to Szeth's people, rock markings being pointed out and being a chapter name), and the fact that stormlight grows plants (WoB), I'm wondering if we won't see rock somehow allow Radiants to draw in Stormlight. As someone mentioned it makes no sense for Radiants to draw from chips and broams, and it's unlikely they would need to fight solely around the Highstorm, so I'm thinking that maybe they can draw from either Roshar itself with rocks as a conduit, or similar. Something is definitely important with rocks.

Also the new surgeon apprentice was intentionally left a secret; I'm guessing it will be someone that Kaladin will know or will think strongly about. 

Edited by Noppadet