[OB] Oathbringer chapters 7-9

Steeldancer

6 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

7 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

And exactly 35 seconds after this post people all over the world laughed out loud ...

I must admit I'm a little disappointed that Adolin got assigned to investigate his own murder.  I do like that someone is copycatting him.  And I really want want to know what exactly our Truthwatcher is seeing...

I'm glad Kaladin grew up, a bit, belatedly.

And I love that the scribe was trying to ask Shallan to be her Wonder Woman!

And the Bondsmith can draw on others to use their powers in new ways?  Interesting.

Just now, Stark said:

I must admit I'm a little disappointed that Adolin got assigned to investigate his own murder.  I do like that someone is copycatting him.  And I really want want to know what exactly our Truthwatcher is seeing...

I'm glad Kaladin grew up, a bit, belatedly.

And I love that the scribe was trying to ask Shallan to be her Wonder Woman!

And the Bondsmith can draw on others to use their powers in new ways?  Interesting.

Who else would Dalinar assign? It makes perfect sense. 

I need to find the few WoB we have on Tezim - he's clearly going to be a very important character/potential antagonist. Is there any way he's actually a sliver of Honor like he claims? (At least that's how I interpreted "Aspect of the Almighty") 

also, love that pretty much everyone's criticisms of shallan being mute to this point are entirely thrown out the window. Cmon y'all, stop doubting BS lol. 

1 minute ago, Steeldancer said:

Who else would Dalinar assign?

I know, I know.  It makes sense.  Dalinar even runs the logic that all other options died in the avalanche last book.  But it feels a little obvious.  But I see Adolin and Shallan working on this together.

1 minute ago, ParadoxicalZen said:

spren having multiple genders

Yeah, I love that some Spren have four genders.  Like the Listeners have four genders.  Which makes me wonder about Listener specific spren.

Also, assigning a gender to your belongings can affect the gender of its spren, love this.

The way I read about the old spren having 4 genders, is that it is related to the listeners and their multiple genders. Humans weren't around yet to think in those terms so the listeners would have formed the old spren into 4. Any other thoughts about this :)

:edit: stark beat me to it

Edited by PunSpren
ninja'd

I have a feeling that Shallan's going to be the first one to find out Adolin's secret. I knew he wouldn't be able to hide it very well, but, wow. He sucks at lying.

As a side note, Kaladin being badass was a welcome turn of events. The part with Oroden made me a tad emotional, surprisingly. 

And it was nice to hear from Shal again. I wonder why Renarin had such a reaction to Dalinar's mention of Odium's champion?

Hm. We shall see.

Gotta love the mixed family responses there... awe spren from one... and not so much from the other...  I note that while we met his little brother, we didn't meet Mara... 

I'm curious what Renarin has "seen" that caused his reaction...  Hopefully it's not a realization that he's going to be the champion...

Adolin's reaction made Shallan highly suspicious... Adolin doesn't have a good poker face...

Edited by scifan

Okay, some quick thoughts...

Kaladin's chapter was the longest. I'm glad he took the initial approach he did, calming things down before summoning the Shardblade - that would have been my suggestion. Glad to see that Laral is independent and capable. I don't think Kaladin is yet over his issues with lighteyes. As expected, there was some spanreeds and it looks like Kaladin is going to do some scouting.

Yay Shallan. She speaks! As expected, she's not over her mother's death but doesn't blame Pattern. In an interesting counterpart to Adolin, she's trying hard to distract herself from thinking about it. She is publicly claiming to be an Elsecaller so that people don't know she's a Lightweaver and can still trick them. She can spot the patterns in the strata in the walls well enough that she can locate herself based on them, unlike anyone else it seems - I bet this comes up later in an emergency. Looks like we have our first example of what Bondsmiths can do - it seems his ability somehow interacted with Shallan for her to be able to create a projection of the continent. I was very happy to see this since creating Lightweaving maps was something I had thought of. While Shallan demurred from offering advice about countries she barely knew anything about the map projection did light a fire in Dalinar - focus on the Oathgates first.

But oh, there's been another murder and it looks like a copycat of the Sadeas one. Interesting. I wonder who did this and why. Shallan can clearly see that Adolin is behaving unusually, and it looks like Renarin can too. Dalinar puts Adolin in charge of investigating the murders... heh.

It seems like Renarin already knows what's going on with Adolin and Sadeas, and Shallan is absolutely going to find out. The real question is, who is going around murdering troops in the same way Sadeas was killed? Perhaps Ialai is organizing some form of revenge? 

Mmmm the plot thickens around Sadeas' murder. Not only is Adolin in charge of finding the murderer and there's a copycat running around, but Renarin clearly knows what's up and Shallan's figuring it out fast. Honestly, I did not see the murder arc going like this at all and I am so PSYCHED! Adolin can't possibly frame someone else for Sadeas' murder and even if he finds the copycat, the Mystery Gang (Shallan + Renarin) know what's up. It'll be a big hit to the Kholin's reputation. ( I'm betting that Ialai is behind the murders, killing her own men to bring House Kholin down.)

Other notes:

• Laral is a BAMF? Yes please
  • Fingers crossed that Oroden comes back in the later half of the series, maybe as a surgeon in training?
  • I complained last time about the lack of Renarin/Shallan/Knights Radiant stuff, but this chapter was all that I could've asked for. We're already getting hints on the yummy Bondsmith/Truthwatchers info and Shallan's unease about the tower really set the scene. I was reading in my dark room and got a few shivers up my back. 
  • (Although, really, has no one asked Renarin what his powers are? How is he training? Where's Glys? What can he see, with his special eyes? Does he know who the champion is? Has he been sprouting an extra 8 shadows? )
  • This story is progressing fast! Kaladin's already left Hearthstone to track down the parshmen, Adolin's Murder Mystery is heating up fast, and it sounds like Team Kholin will be leaving Urithiru soon to start saving the world. Hopefully we'll get more Knights Radiant info via Shallan sooner rather than later.