Stormlight Archive Releases

AerionBFII

Hey, what release schedule will the Stormlight Archive have?

I heard it's a ten book series split in two?

Will each book Take 4 years to come out?

Just to clarify i'm not complaining i just want to know the rough estimate of how long it will take me to read the full series haha... Absolutely love it :)

The series is divided into two arcs. We know that there will be a time jump between the two (between books 5 and 6), though how long the jump will be is unknown. Brandon has said many times that the waits between books should be much shorter. He estimates 18 months to 2 years between each from here on out, IIRC. The longest wait should be between the two arcs, during which time Brandon intends to write the second Mistborn trilogy (the modern technology one). I would bet around a 4-5 year wait there.

So overall, maybe 20 years until it is done. A long time.

The next book is tentatively scheduled for Fall 2016 and then I think its every two years for the rest of the first arc, I think.  Then there will be a sizeable gap before the sixth.

Flashback Characters:

1. Kaladin

2. Shallan

3. Szeth

4. Eshonai (the Parshendi shardbearer from the Battle of the Tower)

5. Dalinar

the second half is still very much in flux but there are some probables/tenatives

Taln

Another herald

Taravangian

Jasnah

plus people I'm probably forgetting (Navani probably won't, her backstory will be pretty much covered by Dalinar's book and Adolin I doubt has backstory that merits a book)

George RR Martin offered to teach Brandon how to torment his fans by releasing volumes only twice a decade, but Brandon politely turned him down.

To be fair to GRRM, he released the first three books of ASOIAF with a two year gap between each. So... Brandon's actually losing that competition so far. :P

Of course, GRRM wrote himself into a corner for AFFC/ADWD because he didn't outline the story as well as Brandon would have. Brandon has a way with planning that almost guarantees there will be no situation like that with TSA.

Edited by Moogle

• Chaos locked this topic