[OB] Stormlight now and then

DustBringer94

So recently i have been wondering if having enough or running out of stormlight was an issue post Recreance. during the Desolations it didn't seem to me like there was any mention either way and i just am wondering if maybe they just used bigger gems or if the level of oaths made them more connected to the spiritual realm and if they were possibly drawing investiture straight from there. maybe that's why their shardplate used to glow. I just wanted to get a discussion up, I'm interested to hear everyone's opinion

I think they logically must have run out of Stormlight, but maybe more gems were cut (and cut with more care) for the expicit purpose of holding as much Stormlight possible for as long as possible. Although I'm wondering whether the Voidbringers realized the implications of the Weepingand coordinated to attack during that period. Assuming Rosharan climate was the same, the Radiants of old probably hated the Weeping even more than Kaladin does: D

With every oath the bond deepens and the Radiants become more efficient at both using and holding Stormlight. 

The Radiants of the past that we saw in Dalinar's visions had Shardplate, so they were most likely further progressed than Kaladin is. Kaladin can already hold Stormlight for a relatively long time. Before speaking his second oath, while practicing his abilities in the chasms he held the stormlight in by holding his breath, while climbing the Chasm with rocks (that he was spending Stormlight to attach to the walls with adhesion) for over a half hour. 

Compare that to Szeth's Honorblade and his repeated statements of holding Stormlight for only a few minutes. 

I don't think there is a difference pre and post Recreance here at all. Yet. 

With Honor dead I think that our current Radiants will be able to progress farther then the Radiants of old and will be able to essentially become new heralds. At which point, Stormlight may last them a ridiculously long time. 

Edited by Calderis

10 hours ago, Elena said:

I think they logically must have run out of Stormlight, but maybe more gems were cut (and cut with more care) for the expicit purpose of holding as much Stormlight possible for as long as possible. Although I'm wondering whether the Voidbringers realized the implications of the Weepingand coordinated to attack during that period. Assuming Rosharan climate was the same, the Radiants of old probably hated the Weeping even more than Kaladin does: D

Since the Weeping comes at the same time every year, the Radiants very likely had a cache of Stormlight stored away for that express purpose. No real organization would let such a glaring weakness slip through.

You have to considerate that Radiants are able to manage Stormlight, so for them is possible to leave giant size Gemstone as Battery and move part of the Stormlight from them to the portable one. Huge Gemstone could hold Stormlight for longer.

You may see how the Stormlight Lantern the Alethi use are able to hold Stormlight for half of a weeping. Something Gemheart's size si probably enough to hold Stormlight for the whole Weeping without problems

8 minutes ago, ThaneOfTas96 said:

So like a Green Lantern power battery and the Central Battery... I really like that actually

Well...I don't think there is a Gemstone of that size (maybe a couple if some Reshi's Islands ever died in the past) but mainly yes.

I am quite sure they could use big gemstone to create a storage for the weeping.

4 hours ago, FollowYourMuse said:

This made me think on saving up storm light, and I put that together with that single pane of glass in Urithiu and I am starting to think it  is somehow a giant stormlight collector.

Urithiu is above the Highstorm's level so that pane of glass could not interact with the coming Highstorm and therefore could not be infused by the storm itself.

5 hours ago, FollowYourMuse said:

This made me think on saving up storm light, and I put that together with that single pane of glass in Urithiu and I am starting to think it  is somehow a giant stormlight collector.

In addition to what @Yata said, prior to the wedding, Dalinar thinks about how they found chain mechanisms specifically for lowering things down into into the storm. Unless they found a way to transmit Stormlight like electricity, and that pane of glass is a massive diamond (as only gems hold Stormlight)...

8 hours ago, Calderis said:

In addition to what @Yata said, prior to the wedding, Dalinar thinks about how they found chain mechanisms specifically for lowering things down into into the storm. Unless they found a way to transmit Stormlight like electricity, and that pane of glass is a massive diamond (as only gems hold Stormlight)...

Ah true.   And I remember that they are above the storms...  thanks!

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Stormlight now and then
  • Chaos locked this topic