I liked Elantris but, I need help liking it more

Xero stormz

I just finished Elantris, while I did like it (I'm a cosmere snob) I didn't like it nearly as much as any other cosmere novel. I don't know why but it didn't seem like normal Sanderson, the hook wasn't as spectacular I thought and the only ways I found connecting it to the cosmere is Hoid and Galladon showing up in WoK for half a second. Can you help me, what important things did I miss or didn't see that would make it better for me? 

Elantris suffers because there is not a whole lot out there for it. The other Cosmere novel similar to it, Warbreaker, has waaaay more connections in other Cosmere novels. The biggest connection Elantris has in another Cosmere piece is in Mistborn: Secret History and a small note in Way of the Kings. 

So right now, the biggest draw Elantris has is its mystery. We can identify the mysteries and try to get as many clues as we can from what little we have, but that's about it. Brandon seems determined to put off future installments to it until at least 2021, so until then we really won't have anything else.

I'm guessing that, being the first published novel of the 'official' Cosmere, Elantris was just trying to find her voice as Sanderson was trying to find his own at the same time. 

It's true that we don't know much about the possible connections between the book and the Cosmere, but I think all we have to do at this point is to wait for the next series/novels to come out so we can read about a more solid connection. 

I also felt something similar like you said you did; but for me the reason was that Elantris was the first book I read of Sanderson. I was trying to find my place in the book when I first read it. That might be another reason as well, no matter how trivial it might sound.

For 2021, we wait..

D.

Something to remember is that because it was his first book. he wrote it to be a stand alone, one-and-done type novel. while the Cosmere was planned he had no idea if anybody would like it. So he had to be careful about promising to much with other world/book connections.

Sanderson did say he didn't really learn how to do the multiple viewpoints until he was working on the WoT books. As such there is some choppyness with that as well.

Lastly it was already mentioned that he hadn't completely found his voice yet so the signature hook wasn't truly a thing yet. hence it was weak in this book.

As for likeing it more, I can't help you. IMO it is one of the weaker books and while it (or at least Sel) will be important to the Cosmere as a whole it will have to wait for it's sequels before we actually see a decent sized picture of how. Interestingly I loved the Emperors Soul. So maybe I am just prejudiced against first books.

6 hours ago, Xero stormz said:

I just finished Elantris, while I did like it (I'm a cosmere snob) I didn't like it nearly as much as any other cosmere novel. I don't know why but it didn't seem like normal Sanderson, the hook wasn't as spectacular I thought and the only ways I found connecting it to the cosmere is Hoid and Galladon showing up in WoK for half a second. Can you help me, what important things did I miss or didn't see that would make it better for me? 

While I disagree with your opinion on it, I very much understand your reaction to Elantris. It is certainly a story that benefits from a re-read. I would advise re-reading it with the mindset that Hrathen is the hero of the story from the beginning; I suspect you'll find it to be quite a bit more interesting. 

Regarding Cosmeric relevance, In addition to Hoid and Galladon; I would focus on the sculptures and such in the room that leads to Devotion's perpendicularity, this was our best source for Worldhopping for quite a while. Also the Realmatic implication of the Dor is very interesting. In addition, Hoid's failed experiment in the epilogue gives some interesting clues regarding identity and how the Shardic magic works. It also is a decent indication of Hoid's lack of understanding regarding Identity (at the time), if he had a better understanding he would have known from the get-go that it would not work. 

Edited by The Sovereign

I think some people really like it because it is so different than his other books. There isn't a lot of battle scenes and violence in it compared to his other books. It is more quiet, thoughtful, and and relies on maneauvering rather than direct action. I really like, but can see that it might not appeal to some.

Edited by Ammanas

13 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

While I disagree with your opinion on it, I very much understand your reaction to Elantris. It is certainly a story that benefits from a re-read. I would advise re-reading it with the mindset that Hrathen is the hero of the story from the beginning; I suspect you'll find it to be quite a bit more interesting. 

I totally agree with that. Especially whatever happens with the magic system and Hoid scenes, I think some certain things get a new perspective from the reader. The magic system in itself is worth pondering upon as well. No matter the depth of the story, Elantris is still one of a kind Cosmere book. 

After what you said, I would like to re-re-read the book now ^_^

I love Elantris, but I agree that it's a bit less polished and interconnected with the rest of the Cosmere.

I think that's simply because it was Brandon's first published novel. The Cosmere wasn't entirely fleshed out in his mind as he wrote it (he wasn't even sure it would be published), and some elements like the dialogue and characterization were (in my opinion) less developed than in his other work simply because he was a less-experienced writer at the time.

I feel like it's still an incredible book, featuring all the classic Brandon hallmarks: Great setting, fun world building, unique magic system, and lots of intriguing mysteries. I just think he got better and better with each successive book.

On 08/09/2017 at 11:35 AM, The Sovereign said:

Regarding Cosmeric relevance, In addition to Hoid and Galladon; I would focus on the sculptures and such in the room that leads to Devotion's perpendicularity, this was our best source for Worldhopping for quite a while. Also the Realmatic implication of the Dor is very interesting. In addition, Hoid's failed experiment in the epilogue gives some interesting clues regarding identity and how the Shardic magic works. It also is a decent indication of Hoid's lack of understanding regarding Identity (at the time), if he had a better understanding he would have known from the get-go that it would not work. 

I took your advice and wow my mind is completely changed. Going into it knowing Hrathen is the hero completely changed the dynamic and made everything make much more sense and we'll planned out. This time around I very much liked it and have a better prospective and respect for the story. The one thing I didn't get was the sculptures

19 minutes ago, Xero stormz said:

I took your advice and wow my mind is completely changed. Going into it knowing Hrathen is the hero completely changed the dynamic and made everything make much more sense and we'll planned out. This time around I very much liked it and have a better prospective and respect for the story. The one thing I didn't get was the sculptures

Glad I could help B)

Sculptures and such:

The sculptures and friezes depict Elantrians going through the Perpendicularity and coming out somewhere else this is the first time we had confirmation that a Shardpool could be used to world hop (which we now know is one of the easier ways to do it).

Edited by The Sovereign

• Chaos locked this topic