[OB] Oathbringer 4-6

Steeldancer

I haven't read the whole thing yet, I will do it this week. But I have to say something before the next chapters, because of a moment of clarity... I think, the writing is from Dalinar's first wife and Jasnah found the book in Shadesmar. We still don't know how she supposedly died and because of the word 'fallen', I think there was a cliff, freeing hostages gone wrong etc... 

12 hours ago, rjl said:

True, my mistake. But, 3 surges and normally each pair has some kind of effect from combining them that they don't do on their own (or so we've heard).

3 would mean 3 different pairs - would this manifest as 6 abilities? Would there be some special effect of all 3 together giving you 7 abilities? Hmm I feel like this could be a very interesting area for Brandon to explore.

Unlikely. We have a WoB stating once you get too many powers those synergies don't work. So far we haven't seen those secondary abilities in anyone with more than 2 powers, as such 3 may be too many to get the special pairs.

So eager for next chapters! If we don't continue in Hearthstone 1 chapter at least I'm going to burst ^^.

So...chapter 1-3 thread was 15 pages long, 4-6 was 23 pages, bets on how many 7-9 will be? :P 

Edited by WhiteLeeopard

29 minutes ago, lastofus said:

I haven't read the whole thing yet, I will do it this week. But I have to say something before the next chapters, because of a moment of clarity... I think, the writing is from Dalinar's first wife and Jasnah found the book in Shadesmar. We still don't know how she supposedly died and because of the word 'fallen', I think there was a cliff, freeing hostages gone wrong etc... 

Nice theory... although in WoR, there was a quote that everyone loved shshsh but here the author proclaims that everyone considers her a heretic.

• Chaos unpinned this topic
  • Mestiv featured this topic
On 9/6/2017 at 2:14 AM, Darkness said:

Edit: Aluminum cant be soulcast, forged, or other stuff. It's realmatically inert. The only magical thing I think it can do is be burned by allomancy. That and made into compounds.

From the Coppermind:

Roshar

Items can be Soulcast into Aluminum.[7] It is unknown if the Aluminum can then be soulcast into other Essences. Shardblades are unable to cut aluminum.[18][19][nb 1]However, this is only through magical means. If the aluminum is thin enough a Shardblade may cut it purely by virtue of having a sharp edge.[20]

On 9/6/2017 at 1:07 PM, Calderis said:

Do we want to count Szeth?

Eh.. I wouldn't consider it as murder so much as contract killing. His employer did give him a list of names with specific instructions.

On 9/8/2017 at 4:16 AM, Fulminato said:

I find highly improbable a rural Alethi village like Hearthstone have a spanreed linked to a city placed so far, in a kingdom isn't Vorin.

I wouldn't say it is highly improbable. Hubs(Communications, Economic, etc..) often transcend the distance/border argument. We know that Tashikk has at least one spanreed for each of the Alethi Warcamps, which are even further away. Tashikk is a communications hub for a reason, and it's easier to expand on existing infrastructure than to make a new junction.

On 9/11/2017 at 5:42 PM, rjl said:

also surely Bondsmiths were potent on a battlefield - they must have been armed with something.

We know hammers exist to be used against Thunderclasts from one of Dalinar's visions. I don't think Dalinar is similarly inhibited from using Plate, so he could effectively wield a "Shardhammer." Heck, he could even follow in Sadeas' footsteps and learn the way of the Grandbow.

On 9/12/2017 at 6:14 AM, WhiteLeeopard said:

Unlikely. We have a WoB stating once you get too many powers those synergies don't work. So far we haven't seen those secondary abilities in anyone with more than 2 powers, as such 3 may be too many to get the special pairs.

Personally, I like the cap being either 3 or 4 powers. If it's 3, then you have 3 Powers and 3 Resonance bonuses, making it an even balance. If it's 4, then you get 4 powers and 6 Resonances, giving you an even 10(for that Rosharan symmetry).

Either way, I doubt we'll see an example of this cap in SA(at least not in the front 5), maybe in Mistborn Era 3/4, given the advent of Medallions and the scientific method.

15 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Personally, I like the cap being either 3 or 4 powers. If it's 3, then you have 3 Powers and 3 Resonance bonuses, making it an even balance. If it's 4, then you get 4 powers and 6 Resonances, giving you an even 10(for that Rosharan symmetry).

Because of the idea of resonance, I like to think of it in terms of musical chords. 

It may go as high as 5 or 6, but you get a 1 resonance for whatever mixture you have. So a third power would change your resonance, and not add to it. It's one of my planned questions for November actually. 

14 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

I wouldn't say it is highly improbable. Hubs(Communications, Economic, etc..) often transcend the distance/border argument. We know that Tashikk has at least one spanreed for each of the Alethi Warcamps, which are even further away. Tashikk is a communications hub for a reason, and it's easier to expand on existing infrastructure than to make a new junction.

i overestimate the effective 'cost' of spanreed. i supposed a house owner of many spanreed to be restricted to lighyeyed of mid-high dahn, and a castoff like roshone don't have the meaning to buy a spanreed linked to tashikk and have a couple linked to the man/woman in charge of his princedom land

Edited by Fulminato

19 hours ago, Calderis said:

It may go as high as 5 or 6, but you get a 1 resonance for whatever mixture you have. So a third power would change your resonance, and not add to it.

That's never occurred to me before, and it really should have. I'll blame part of the Allomantic Table for that one.

On 3/14/2017 at 3:14 PM, The One Who Connects said:

For example, the Enhancement quadrant of Allomancy. Aluminum & Chromium, Duralumin & Nicrosil are the same effects respectively, so the Resonance of those 4 powers would probably be similar to if you only had two. A+D would have a similar Perk to C+N, as the pairs are both 1 power-up and 1 power-down. Little change if you went with A+N and D+C, since they still have one of each. The only different perks would be if they were in alike pairs: A+C and D+N. And that gets negated by having all 4, because now you have 2's balancing out in every way. 2 up, 2 down, 2 self, 2 others

This right here was one of the reasons why I stopped trying to reason with Resonances.

On 08/09/2017 at 4:26 PM, Pattern said:

I like the idea very much!

The poor spren...we have seen what happens to spren when they sacrifice their investiture to surgebind...screaming spanreeds pop up in my mind.

Jasnah and Shallan would have noticed if that happened.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Oathbringer 4-6
  • Chaos locked this topic