[OB] Oathbringer 4-6

Steeldancer

Just now, Khyrindor said:

Agreed. On that note, am I the only one who expects to see the Stormfather manifest as a Shardblade at some point during this book or even later down the line? In a moment of desperation, when everything hinges on Dalinar living, the Stormfather might change his mind about that, and bet it all on winning, instead of living to fight another day. It would make quite the scene.

But the stormfather is really big. In my mind he would turn into a blade too big to wield. 

1 minute ago, Khyrindor said:

Agreed. On that note, am I the only one who expects to see the Stormfather manifest as a Shardblade at some point during this book or even later down the line? In a moment of desperation, when everything hinges on Dalinar living, the Stormfather might change his mind about that, and bet it all on winning, instead of living to fight another day. It would make quite the scene.

I'm wondering if it's something that his nature literally doesn't allow, because this isn't just a matter of Dalinar and the Stormfather, it's Bondsmiths in general. 

Questioner

And there's one last question if I may: I'm really into swords and such. I couldn't help but notice king Elhokar's Blade. It's just... All the others are ornamented, and they may have some glyphs, but it is the only one where it is explicitly it is told that there are ten fundamental glyphs on it which are the glyphs of the orders. I read some of the chapters from Dalinar from Unfettered II, and I know how he got it for Elhokar. Is there also some more backstory to this Blade?

Brandon Sanderson

There's a backstory to every Blade and every one of them is special, that's the problem. But I will be exploring the origins of some of the Blades. Eventually. Not a ton, but a little bit.

Questioner

As it is ornamented in such a way... Could it be related to a Bondsmith?

Brandon Sanderson

Bondsmith's didn't have Blades.

Questioner

All of them? It's just... Maybe it was just the Stormfather...

Brandon Sanderson

No. That's a really good guess. Really good guess. I'm gonna RAFO Bondsmiths because you gonna learn a lot about them in the next book because it's the Bondsmith's book. That's a really good theory, but it's not true. 

Questioner

But maybe there is at least something to it.

Brandon Sanderson

But there's a reason to it, why it has all the 10 orders.

7 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

But the stormfather is really big. In my mind he would turn into a blade too big to wield. 

I don't think there's anything to say that he has to be a massive blade. I certainly expect it to be larger than average in more intricate than even the Honorblades, but spren seem to be able to change their size at will, and as the Stormfather technically counts as one and follows the same rules, I think it's possible. He certainly has the option to do so, he just doesn't want to risk Dalinar breaking his oaths, and thus, killing him.

Edit: @Calderis , I've seen that WoB, but in WoR I believe the Stormfather says "I will not let my body to be bound in such a way as to kill me.", which can only be interpreted as a choice. It could be a choice that all the megaspren make, because of how important they are, but I still think it's a choice.

Edited by Khyrindor

1 hour ago, rjl said:

That said I don't think there's going to be a major stormlight drought for very long; it would just be too de-habilitating, no surges for combat, and no ability to travel to or from Urithiru - Dalinar and friends would all become irrelevant; maybe there could be a brief shortage but make it long and it would be hard for that to be a fun problem to read about.

I don't mean we'll go the whole book without a Highstorm. I mean they'll come less often or there will be a particularly long period without one (maybe 3-4 weeks) I think story-wise it will be a big way to build tension and then relief. I get really stressed when the characters are low on stormlight which tells me it's an effective device. As Stormlight becomes more of a commodity, conservation and harvesting techniques will be interesting economic shifts.

But I agree that it can't go very long before we as readers are sick of reading SA without surgebinding. Then it would just be...the Archive.

Stormlight rationing could be very interesting - it would make it almost impossible for any significant new radiants to train and/or practise effectively.

A sustained limited supply could be a far more interesting plot device than a complete drought I think.

I note that one of the early chapters mentioned them having discovered devices in Urithuru for lowering gems down into the storm - so I assume those will be used at some point.

6 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

So about the Stormfather dying and stormlight going away...wouldn't the investiture that is behind stormlight just find another way through? See: The Dor.

If the knights were just getting started that could be devastating to them though - imagine a real life parallel, a troop of soldiers are completing their basic training and "Oh BTW the fuel for your tanks erm we don't know where it is, the ammunition for the guns isn't here either - we know they're somewhere but it could be a few miles away oh and the enemy will be here tomorrow"...

I don't think stormlight is going away, maybe the stormfather will go and there will be a different sauce of the light - but in interviews when talking about the concept for the stormlight series one of the things that Brandon brought up was that he wanted magitech which meant he wanted a form of magical battery as a key thing in the series -> infused gems.

3 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

A friend of mine also expressed the same idea. It is possible.

50 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

So about the Stormfather dying and stormlight going away...wouldn't the investiture that is behind stormlight just find another way through? See: The Dor.

1) it's a hypothetical situation that isn't going to happen. 

2) Sel is a completely different situation. 

Elantris spoilers. 

Spoiler

Dominion and Devotion were splintered and their investiture stuffed into the Cognitive Realm. The Dor has manifested the way it has specifically because the entirety of the Cognitive landscape is saturated with investiture. No such thing has happened on Roshar. Honor's investiture is still in the Spiritual Realm where it belongs, so other than an increased number of Spren, there should be nothing like Sel on Roshar. 

1 minute ago, Kalinovsky said:

I just can't wait for tomorrow. We will get some answers and many more questions.

This. This is the constant state we Sharders live in. Eagerly looking to every interview, every book, every snippet of text from our overlord, which will bring both answers and questions. I'll be happy with whatever we get tomorrow I just direly hope we get a resolution with what's happening in Hearthstone.

6 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

I'll be happy with whatever we get tomorrow I just direly hope we get a resolution with what's happening in Hearthstone.

Agreed!

I apologize in advance to those who disagree with me on this point, but I will be so crestfallen the moment I read Shallan's name at the top of the chapter heading. She's by far my least favorite POV.

But since her first chapter is probably looming in tomorrow's release, I'll just hope she's teaching Renarin to lightweave, rather than navel-gazing and trying to be witty. Man I wish we could replace her POV with Jasnah's or Eshonai's. 

4 hours ago, Calderis said:

I'm wondering if it's something that his nature literally doesn't allow, because this isn't just a matter of Dalinar and the Stormfather, it's Bondsmiths in general. 

Questioner

But maybe there is at least something to it.

Brandon Sanderson

But there's a reason to it, why it has all the 10 orders.

That little tidbit has me very intrigued; something specific and special about that blade, marked with the symbol of all 10 orders. Now Bondsmiths were the order that bound everyone together but it wasn't theres. Jezrien was the king of heralds so his order, i.e. a Windrunner blade could make some sense - but there's been no mention of all of those symbols on Kaladin's blade.

The next thought that comes to mind is could it be one of the herald's Blades? No one could use it to surgebind if they didn't know about such things, I'm sure we've seen mention that some of the Blades are missing from the Shin's collection other than Jezriens?

At the same time this almost seems too obvious and likely wrong - could there be another order that served as "glue" for all 10? Or maybe it was a blade used by someone who was a field commander for all the Knights together hmm, idle speculation running away.

I'm also very intrigued by the BondSmiths never having Blades - we've repeatedly been told that Dalinar is an excellent swordsman it seems a shame to waste that ability - also surely Bondmiths were potent on a battlefield - they must have been armed with something. Maybe their surges manifest in some destructively potent way, who knows what adhesion and tension could do together... We will learn all of these things in November methinks but the wait... Patience is a virtue...

2 minutes ago, rjl said:

I'm also very intrigued by the BondSmiths never having Blades - we've repeatedly been told that Dalinar is an excellent swordsman it seems a shame to waste that ability

Ok, I've been wondering this since reading WoR and I'm sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. I imagine it has. But would Stormfather be opposed to Dalinar using the honorblade Kaladin won off Szeth? I mean it's not a dead spren and in no way violates his oaths... 

Just now, OathKeeper said:

Ok, I've been wondering this since reading WoR and I'm sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. I imagine it has. But would Stormfather be opposed to Dalinar using the honorblade Kaladin won off Szeth? I mean it's not a dead spren and in no way violates his oaths... 

I'd thought of that as a possibility before too; it could make sense BUT obviously the "BondSmiths of old" didn't do that; I'd like to know what they did do, surely being linked to the "super spren" would have given them some spectacular powers... I also wonder what Dalinar could be like with 4 surges + his existing skills.

10 minutes ago, OathKeeper said:

Agreed!

I apologize in advance to those who disagree with me on this point, but I will be so crestfallen the moment I read Shallan's name at the top of the chapter heading. She's by far my least favorite POV.

But since her first chapter is probably looming in tomorrow's release, I'll just hope she's teaching Renarin to lightweave, rather than navel-gazing and trying to be witty. Man I wish we could replace her POV with Jasnah's or Eshonai's. 

Hmm, I think I'd be happy with almost anything, though if there's no Kaladin chapter Ill be annoyed - I just want to see the resolution to the immediate problem of how Kaladin's going to relate to his hometown - that feels like the key thing we've been waiting for since the last book ended.

Just now, rjl said:

I'd thought of that as a possibility before too; it could make sense BUT obviously the "BondSmiths of old" didn't do that; I'd like to know what they did do, surely being linked to the "super spren" would have given them some spectacular powers... I also wonder what Dalinar could be like with 4 surges + his existing skills.

just 3 surges iirc bondsmith and windrunner share the adhesion surge

Just now, asterion137 said:

just 3 surges iirc bondsmith and windrunner share the adhesion surge

True, my mistake. But, 3 surges and normally each pair has some kind of effect from combining them that they don't do on their own (or so we've heard).

3 would mean 3 different pairs - would this manifest as 6 abilities? Would there be some special effect of all 3 together giving you 7 abilities? Hmm I feel like this could be a very interesting area for Brandon to explore.

Well, I am kinda happy hopeful that the next release won't have any released chapters.

So far, of the prologue + 6 chapters, three were the ones released already.  So, it might be a virgin release here unless one of the Dalinar flashback chapters is part of the 3 published on Tor in a few hours.

Edited by axcellence

1 hour ago, axcellence said:

Well, I am kinda happy hopeful that the next release won't have any released chapters.

So far, of the prologue + 6 chapters, three were the ones released already.  So, it might be a virgin release here unless one of the Dalinar flashback chapters is part of the 3 published on Tor in a few hours.

I'm hoping to get a follow up to chapter 6 and a Shallan chapter. If we get the next flashback chapter we will likely get a Dalinar chapter before it where Oathbringer, the sword, is found in the planter. The next flashback is the story of how Dalinar won Oathbringer. I'm hoping it is not in the next round because I want the flashbacks spaced out more than that and I want Kaladin and Shallan to both get at least one chapter. The last chapter could be the Dalinar chapter that leads into the flashback, but we shall see. Heck, I will be grateful for three Dalinar chapters, but chapter 6 was quite a cliffhanger and I miss Shallan. 

4 minutes ago, eveorjoy said:

I'm hoping to get a follow up to chapter 6 and a Shallan chapter. If we get the next flashback chapter we will likely get a Dalinar chapter before it where Oathbringer, the sword, is found in the planter. The next flashback is the story of how Dalinar won Oathbringer. I'm hoping it is not in the next round because I want the flashbacks spaced out more than that and I want Kaladin and Shallan to both get at least one chapter. The last chapter could be the Dalinar chapter that leads into the flashback, but we shall see. Heck, I will be grateful for three Dalinar chapters, but chapter 6 was quite a cliffhanger and I miss Shallan. 

There are something like 16 or 18 flashback chapters for Dalinar (@maxal gave me this information if I remember correctly). 5 parts to the book means 3 or 4 flashbacks per part, so we'll be getting a couple more flashbacks in the samples for sure.