[OB] Oathbringer 4-6

Steeldancer

Hmm, is there any chance at all that Roshone actually accepts the punch as deserved and be the one to defuse the situation ? Crazy i know, but i've been thinking and we really don't know much about the guy, he's an cremhole sure, but we only saw him interact in some unusual situations : confronting a man he justly suspects of theft, arriving to the place he's been banished to,  and in the grip of grief and anger after his son's death. All i'm saying is we don't exactly know what kind of man he is (within the sleazy lighteyed bastard category of course).

Also for the punch bit, i'm not knowledgeable in any way but could it be related to the intent and circumstances of the punch ? Kaladin's hand is unprotected and his act is more a statement than a wish to inflict pain or injury (well a bit of pain anyway).

Edited by Darvys

10 hours ago, Farnsworth said:

Having your hand slide like that is the mark of a really bad punch. It doesn't mean Kal is a bad fighter to throw a punch like this once in a while, but it certainly isn't great enough to talk about.

I interpreted the sliding of the fist across the face as Kaladin controlling his punch to ensure it didn't do maximum damage. Realistically a strong and decently sized person like Kaladin making full blooded connection with a naked fist has the potential to kill, especially to an unsuspecting person . 

2 hours ago, Darvys said:

Hmm, is there any chance at all that Roshone actually accepts the punch as deserved and be the one to defuse the situation ? Crazy i know, but i've been thinking and we really don't know much about the guy, he's an cremhole sure, but we only saw him interact in some unusual situations : confronting a man he justly suspects of theft, arriving to the place he's been banished to,  and in the grip of grief and anger after his son's death. All i'm saying is we don't exactly know what kind of man he is (within the sleazy lighteyed bastard category of course).

Also for the punch bit, i'm not knowledgeable in any way but could it be related to the intent and circumstances of the punch ? Kaladin's hand is unprotected and his act is more a statement than a wish to inflict pain or injury (well a bit of pain anyway).

Dunno, could be. Lirin said that roshone changed for the better after kaladin left. I suppose having lost his son and having finally exacted his revenge would have made him feel hollow inside, and it could have sparked character growth. but it seems a bit off. quite anticlimatic if kaladin comes back and punches roshone and he's all like "yeah i deserved that". maybe he'll work to there.

2 hours ago, Nef said:

I interpreted the sliding of the fist across the face as Kaladin controlling his punch to ensure it didn't do maximum damage. Realistically a strong and decently sized person like Kaladin making full blooded connection with a naked fist has the potential to kill, especially to an unsuspecting person . 

good point. roshone is elderly and invalid, and kaladin don't want to kill him.

Where will Shallan's late WoR story arc go regarding her studies of great shells? I don't think it's served its story purposes yet. This isn't a particularly bold theory, but I see a Shallan-Sebarial team up happening where they go to the shattered plains and establish a sustainable gemheart harvesting program.

This because I think the stormlight famine will last a long time. I can't fathom how, but I think either Dalinar's bond or the Everstorm is somehow interfering with the Highstorm frequency. There hasn't been any sign of panic yet, but it seems like there's groundwork being laid for a stormlight drought. 

1 hour ago, OathKeeper said:

Where will Shallan's late WoR story arc go regarding her studies of great shells? I don't think it's served its story purposes yet. This isn't a particularly bold theory, but I see a Shallan-Sebarial team up happening where they go to the shattered plains and establish a sustainable gemheart harvesting program.

This because I think the stormlight famine will last a long time. I can't fathom how, but I think either Dalinar's bond or the Everstorm is somehow interfering with the Highstorm frequency. There hasn't been any sign of panic yet, but it seems like there's groundwork being laid for a stormlight drought. 

I was also thinking along those lines. To destroy roshar, the easiest way would be to kill the stormfather. No more Stormlight. No radiants with surges, no people with honorblades... It would basically end the opposition. 

6 minutes ago, rjl said:

I think it should actually be 14:00 GMT, GMT is 5 hours ahead of EST, not 6 - and it was 14:00 last week.

Agh, I always have this problem, overlaping my own time with GMT.

So Flash, are you still going to be around to post the link tmrw? :P 

Edited by WhiteLeeopard

3 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

I was also thinking along those lines. To destroy roshar, the easiest way would be to kill the stormfather. No more Stormlight. No radiants with surges, no people with honorblades... It would basically end the opposition. 

WoB says there was Stormlight before Honor Invested in the storms IIRC, so this may not be as debilitating as you think.

3 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

WoB says there was Stormlight before Honor Invested in the storms IIRC, so this may not be as debilitating as you think.

But - at the moment the power of the surges comes form the investiture in the storms. If you either a. stop the storms OR b. remove the investiture from them the surges would go bye bye.

That said I don't think there's going to be a major stormlight drought for very long; it would just be too de-habilitating, no surges for combat, and no ability to travel to or from Urithiru - Dalinar and friends would all become irrelevant; maybe there could be a brief shortage but make it long and it would be hard for that to be a fun problem to read about.

14 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

I'll argue this point. Yes there was Stormlight before. But the Rider of Storms and the stormfather are one thing now, the only source of stormlight. I think the Rider has always dispensed storm light. But killing it would end Stormlight as we know it. Unless you could obtain it in the peaks. 

I'm not saying it's likely to happen, just saying if I were odium, that's what I would do. 

16 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

There was Stormlight before Honor invested, but it seems that it's always come through the Stormfather. 

http://theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1177#12

QUESTION

Question about the stormlight itself : a highstorm, full of stormlight, fills the spheres. Then, the KR use the stormlight or the stormlight evaporates with time. Question : where does the stormlight in highstorms come from ? Is there like a "rain cycle", but for the stormlight ?

BRANDON SANDERSON

the stormlight in the highstorm is transferred from the Spiritual realm through the Stormfather into the highstorm.

2 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

I'll argue this point. Yes there was Stormlight before. But the Rider of Storms and the stormfather are one thing now, the only source of stormlight. I think the Rider has always dispensed storm light. But killing it would end Stormlight as we know it. Unless you could obtain it in the peaks. 

I'm not saying it's likely to happen, just saying if I were odium, that's what I would do. 

Fair enough. However, there has to have been Stormlight before the Last Desolation, which is before the Rider of Storms and the Stormfather merged. I agree it would change (perhaps), but I still think it would be able to fuel fabrials and Surgebinding.

@Calderis Are you suggesting that since the Stormfather is now the one 'producing' the Stormlight (where he wasn't historically), killing him would effectively remove Stormlight?

6 minutes ago, KiManiak said:

So, do you think the first wedding guest who made it to the roof of Urithuru found Dalinar’s old cleaver like Shardblade and was all: “Yes! I am now a Shardbearer!”

(Seriously, I wonder what happened to that Blade...)

I theorized it fell onto one of the villagers that szeth mentioned in the first book. 

"Its raining shardblades! Ahhhhh"

9 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

@Calderis Are you suggesting that since the Stormfather is now the one 'producing' the Stormlight (where he wasn't historically), killing him would effectively remove Stormlight?

I believe so. I think he was created by Adonalsium when Roshar was crafted. 

As the source of stormlight, the evolutionary path of Roshar relies on him completely. 

Without him, literally everything falls apart. 

Just now, Calderis said:

I believe so. I think he was created by Adonalsium when Roshar was crafted. 

As the source of stormlight, the evolutionary path of Roshar relies on him completely. 

Without him, literally everything falls apart. 

I think we both agree it's unlikely things will go there, but I could see it. If that's the case, Dalinar has to be especially careful with his new Oaths.

I also think it would take a lot to get rid of the Stormfather, and there's more to it than simply destroying him. I suppose it's also possible that the system would correct itself with time to be able to produce Stormlight again, but I can't think of a specific reason how.

Just now, Khyrindor said:

I think we both agree it's unlikely things will go there, but I could see it. If that's the case, Dalinar has to be especially careful with his new Oaths.

I also think it would take a lot to get rid of the Stormfather, and there's more to it than simply destroying him. I suppose it's also possible that the system would correct itself with time to be able to produce Stormlight again, but I can't think of a specific reason how.

It's said he survived the recreance. Probably because he doesn't turn into a shardblade. 

7 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

I theorized it fell onto one of the villagers that szeth mentioned in the first book. 

"Its raining shardblades! Ahhhhh"

Ha!  Yeah, i've only made it to p16 of the comments so far so I guess I haven't seen that yet.  Folks are super prolific this week...

1 minute ago, Steeldancer said:

It's said he survived the recreance. Probably because he doesn't turn into a shardblade. 

Agreed. On that note, am I the only one who expects to see the Stormfather manifest as a Shardblade at some point during this book or even later down the line? In a moment of desperation, when everything hinges on Dalinar living, the Stormfather might change his mind about that, and bet it all on winning, instead of living to fight another day. It would make quite the scene.