[OB] Lighteyed Squires

Darkness

Thinking about which of our lighteyed characters might become squires, I had a few fun possibilities.

1. Adolin to Renarin. I had thought about Adolin to Dalinar, but I don't really see Bondsmiths taking squires at all, and Adolin already loves and in many ways looks up to his brother. It would also be an interesting take, where the capable, handsome, warrior heir becomes subordinate to his physically weaker brother.

2. Navani to... Just kidding, I can't see Navani's pride allowing her to become a squire. But if it were ever to happen, totally to Jasnah.

3. From completely out of left field: Sebarial to Shallan. I see Sebarial as an indulgent, purposefully lazy master deceiver. He secretly runs the smoothest economy in the war camps, and makes everyone see him as a wasteful buffoon. He already has the connection to Shallan, and I believe his respect for her will only grow. There is the small problem that Shallan may already have other proto-squires with Gaz and co.

4. Amaram to Taln. Problem: Can heralds take squires? I don't know, but I don't see why not. Amaran has very strong feelings of devotion and almost worship for Taln, which don't always mean squireship, but could make a decent start.

5. Elhokar won't become a squire I don't think. In his mind, he can't afford to be seen as subordinate to anyone (even though everyone thinks of him that way already). However, if he were to be a squire, it would be to Dalinar, which again, I dont think Dalinar can take squires.

6. Random street urchins to Lift. This isn't necessarily on topic (lighteyes), but it would be awesome to see a bunch of glowing urchins slipping through the streets stealing food. We already have one! I want more! Haha

Edited by Darkness
List is shorter than i expected. We really haven't met very many vanilla lighteyes...

39 minutes ago, Darkness said:

4. Amaram to Taln. Problem: Can heralds take squires? I don't know, but I don't see why not. Amaran has very strong feelings of devotion and almost worship for Taln, which don't always mean squireship, but could make a decent start.

Unfortunately no. Jezrien got the short end of the stick, as resonances are the same for Honorblades or spren, and the Windrunner Resonance is strength of squires and he didn't get any. 

I actually think if Adolin becomes a squire it will be under Kaladin. I don't really think he will become a squire at all, but I think Kaladin is a better fit than anyone else. The Windrunners seem to be one of the military wings of the KR and Adolin is a military man. He isn't Bondsmith or Truthwatcher material, I think. Bondsmith looks like more of a leadership role (as in social leadership) and Truthwatcher will probably be more of an advisory/support role I expect. Plus he wants to protect people, although maybe in a bit of a different way than Kaladin, and he believes in doing what is right above what is legal or acceptable to society the same as Syl.

Now, nobody forget to heap praise upon me when Adolin becomes Kaladin's squire. :P

Edited by Ansalem

9 hours ago, Darkness said:

3. From completely out of left field: Sebarial to Shallan. I see Sebarial as an indulgent, purposefully lazy master deceiver. He secretly runs the smoothest economy in the war camps, and makes everyone see him as a wasteful buffoon. He already has the connection to Shallan, and I believe his respect for her will only grow. There is the small problem that Shallan may already have other proto-squires with Gaz and co.

5. Elhokar won't become a squire I don't think. In his mind, he can't afford to be seen as subordinate to anyone (even though everyone thinks of him that way already). However, if he were to be a squire, it would be to Dalinar, which again, I dont think Dalinar can take squires.

3/5.  Lightweavers don't feel like the "having Squires" type.  I don't think Sebarial becoming a Lightweaver in his own right is beyond the pale, but I think the most likely next Lightweaver is Elhokar himself, as it seems the Cryptics are already watching him.

I'll add another:

7.  Roshone to Kaladin.  This could play into a redemption and growth arc.  After some conflict, Kaladin earns the begrudging respect-then-admiration of Roshone, who is catalyzed by the devastation of the Everstorm and the Parshmen conversion to actually become a leader and warrior.  This leads to a Squirely bond (allowing him to draw Stormlight and restore the limp Lirin couldn't save), but with Roshone being self-confident enough to be one of the first to follow Kaladin's steps as a Windrunner.  Additionally, this will ease tension with Lirin, as he will see that Kaladin actually can both heal and kill, and set up for Moash to face a Roshone who is now more honorable and like his friend Kaladin than he himself has become.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Lighteyed Squires
  • Chaos locked this topic