Kelsier's involvement afterwards

Mierinx

Hello,

I've finished Bands of Mourning and then the Secret History. In the PostScripts, Sanderson mentioned that he put some bits here and there to let the reader know that Kelsier's involvement is still going on while the events in the Wax and Wayne novels are taking place. I've read some of parts again but I cannot put my finger on the actual thing. 

If anyone of you remembers the issue, can you pinpoint it to me? 

Thx. D.

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

The only bit I'm aware of is at the very end. 

Note the scars on the arms. 

I read that part and thought that such a hint would not be that obvious...

I may have to read once more to see whether I missed something.. or we just have to wait for two years to get the final book of the series..

21 minutes ago, Reborn radiant said:

Spook supposedly survived for hundred years as Lord Mistborn, that's our first hint that something is going on behind the scenes. It's also mentioned in Shadows of self that Kelsier ascended (from marasi to MeLaan). 
These are the two I remember at the moment. I'll add if I remember any more.

Hmm.. I remember Spook living more than what seemed normal to me at the time but didn't give much thought on it especially considering the curious nature of metal using and Ascending...

I'll have to take a closer look at Shadows of Self to find that piece..This is getting more interesting. 

Much appreciated.

23 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Isn't he supposed to be the one who hid the Bands up in the mountains?

I think that's what we're going to find out for sure...

It didnt sound like the Lord Ruler did all those things; helping out a whole nation and hiding the Bands for "someone" to find... It's a Kelsier-like trait in my opinion... I just cannot say it for sure ofc.

@Reborn radiant

Secret History Spoilers:

Spoiler

Kelsier's ascention is reference to the fact for a time he actually held Preservation between Laras and Vin.

@MierinxWhat Postscripts are you referencing in your OP. IIRC The Band of Mourning epilogue is wax "Seeing" the memory of Sovereign, with scars on his arms, telling the southern Scadrians to "Survive".  If this is not Kel I will eat Wayne's hat...

But as I have gone through the era 2 books I don't think we have any other specific hint to Kelsier... though maybe some of the stuff attributed to the kandra are actually him.

As for Spook's life span. He governed for a century, but this length of lifespan could have been normal for mistborn. Remember that during the final empire mistborn were actively ignored but the fact that Gamel is the only OLD one we see it is possible that they have "preserved" lifespans and inter-house conflicts killed most years before their time. If not then the life span is most likely due to experimentation with Hemalugy. and I don't mess with spikes. Either way IMO whenever Spook or the Lord Mistborn is mentioned would be good places to look for Kel.

Edited by Tsidqiyah

@Mierinx the ending and the obvious one is what makes all the other hints make sense.

Spoiler

We know TLR died. We saw it in both the physical and Cognitive Realm. He went beyond. The ending is the key that all the mentions of The Sovereign are Kelsier. 

The Lord Ruler never interacted with the South Scadrians. It was all Kel. 

4 hours ago, Calderis said:

@Mierinx the ending and the obvious one is what makes all the other hints make sense.

Reveal hidden contents

We know TLR died. We saw it in both the physical and Cognitive Realm. He went beyond. The ending is the key that all the mentions of The Sovereign are Kelsier. 

The Lord Ruler never interacted with the South Scadrians. It was all Kel. 

Holy cow... 

Spoiler

Well, seeing The Sovereign, you only think of the Lord Ruler... Now that you mentioned, it must have been Kelsier who put the Bands there. that only makes more curious as to how Kelsier and Spook managed to do that of all the things.

3 hours ago, Hafrigado said:

Somehow his memory coins got spread around. I'm not sure if this was on purpose or not, but it was Kel "interfering".

Actually if I remember it right there was a WoB saying the metalmind hoid gave to Wax was given because of two reasons. One to right a wrong, two because it would have irritated Kelsier. Can't find the WoB right now, but I'm pretty sure it's there. 
So I am pretty sure it's not Kel interfering, but it was Hoid interfering. 

"And I also know what Kelsier was doing during the era of the Wax and Wayne books. (There are some hints in those, as the original books have hints at this story.)" - SH Postscript

I think these are some of the hints of what Kelsier could have been up to during the W&W books: 

In Alloy of Law: 

She took the book. “Pardon,” she said, trying to fight through the numbness he had put inside her. Was she really speaking to a mythological figure? Was she going mad? She could barely think. “But why didn’t you take it to him yourself?” 

Ironeyes responded with a tight-lipped smile, watching her with the heads of those silvery spikes. “I have a feeling he’d have tried to shoot me. That one does not like unanswered questions, but he does my brother’s work, and that is something I feel inclined to encourage. Good day, Lady Marasi Colms.”  

So like Wax, Kelsier might be hunting down people or trying to bring down a bad organization. 

Another hint is Shadows of Self: 

My essence is, Harmony said. But this thing that I am … it is more complex than you might expect.

“Being God is more complex than a mortal can comprehend?” Wax said. “What a surprise.”

Harmony chuckled softly.

Wait, Wax thought. Did I just get sarcastic with God Himself?

Yes, you did, Harmony said. It is well. Few act that way toward me, even among the kandra. It feels good to me. Like older times. Since Kelsier … well, I haven’t had much of that.

This seems like Kelsier has not been in touch with Sazed recently. This might imply that Kelsier is no longer on Scadrial or had a falling out with Harmony. However, I really doubt that Kelsier turned to the "dark side" as the quote above shows that Marsh is supportive of Kelsier and considering that Marsh is always the first person to criticize Kelsier, that says a lot.  

Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania spoilers:

Spoiler

Kelsier might have been the one who put the hemuragic spikes in the bottom of the pit. While it seems a bit small scale for Kelsier, no one else fits as well as he does. The challenge and the myth around it, definitely is reminiscent of Kelsier. Not to mention that we have another separate population that seems to highly respect (maybe worship?) the Survivor. Note that the box which the spikes were placed in, was made completely of aluminium. What does this tell us? One, it had to be done in Era 2, and two, it had to be done by someone who understood the value of hemuragic spikes and was rich/powerful enough to not care about wasting a vast fortune on aluminum. Again, this points to Kelsier's involvement in Era 2. 

Edited by shadowwisp
more hints

• Chaos locked this topic