Question

From WoK Epilogue:

Spoiler

"Can you feel it?" Wit asked of the open night. "Something just changed. I believe that's the sound the world makes when it pisses itself."

Three guards stood just inside the thick wooden city gates of Kholinar. The men regarded Wit with worry.

Outside the gates, standing on the dark stone roadway, was a solitary man with dark skin, His hair was long and matted, his clothing nothing more than a ragged, sacklike length of cloth wrapping his waist. He stood with his head bowed, wet, ratty hair hanging down over his face and mixing with a beard that had bits of wood and leaves stuck in it. His muscles glistened, as if he'd just swum a great distance.

Kholinar on the map:

Spoiler

Capture.thumb.PNG.0073db0fd6a6880d7760863f644b1d1d.PNG

Interesting, no? Why did Taln come back from Braize near the largest city in the area, or near Kholinar, and why was he wet? We have no mention of being wet when Jasnah elsecalls, no? Could he be have swum in through a shardpool or something? Tell me, yah?

4 answers to this question

48 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I believe he was wet from the condensation that forms when investiture manifests in the physical realm, just like a Shardblade is dripping when it forms. 

For why he appeared there, Kholinar is one of the Dawncities, I have absolutely no proof, but I think that all of the Heralds initially manifest near one of the ten. 

I would add to Calderis's point that Alethela (the modern Alethkar) was the Silver Kingdom dedicated to the art of war and Taln is the Herald of War.

It's likely the Herald have almost fixed "spawning points" and from there they began to prepare the people in according with their roles.

About the Wet, I think (as other) that is caused by the same reason the Shardblades have it. Taln didn't simply arrived by Elsecalling. He will have no way to use the Elsecalling and much more I don't see him capable of walking for continental distance in the CR to arrive there.

I believe he was wet from the condensation that forms when investiture manifests in the physical realm, just like a Shardblade is dripping when it forms. 

For why he appeared there, Kholinar is one of the Dawncities, I have absolutely no proof, but I think that all of the Heralds initially manifest near one of the ten. 

In terms of the presence of condensation I agree that the solidification of investiture is the most likely explanation. In response to why Kholinar/ dawncities if that in fact is what happens then the presence of ancient investiture which would no doubt permeate the area around such locations may attract the heralds upon their return. Alternatively upon their reappearance they may show up at the centers of civilization of which Kholinar is one.