[OB] Unmade and Bondsmiths

10 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

It certainly would explain a lot. I kind of like the idea and I can see it  impacting the larger cosmere as a whole if in fact they predate the shards. If these are pre shattering spren things could get interesting in a hurry. 

Well, isn't that what the Stormfather is (or was, before he absorbed Tanavast's cognitive shadow)?

It's my understanding, that as a whole we believe that the Stormfather and Nightwatcher are the super spren of Honor and Cultivation, respectively. What if the 3rd super spren is of Odium? That's probably been discussed before, but i like this idea better.

I really like this idea. Really really like it. 

We know the Stormfather predates the arrival of the Shards. We also know that the Nightwatcher is "to Cultivation, what the Stormfather is to Honor." So there you have a Bondsmith associated with two of the three Shards. 

A Bondsmith Voidspren never made sense to me, but this allows for a third spren to be associated with Odium without actually being of Odium. 

10 Dawnsingers, 9 of which have been corrupted. This would allow for insight into the natures of the Unmade through one who knows what they were before. A Spren whose brethren have been turned to serve the enemy. A single remnant of the caretakers turned vile. 

I'm totally on board. 

1 hour ago, Crucible of Shards said:

Kabsal describes them as kindly spren who taught and benefited humanity in its infancy on Roshar,

He did? Damnation, this happens to me for having skipped most Shallan chapters in WoK in all my rereads :ph34r:. This sounds good, but haven't they been named Dawnshards too? Shards have a very specific connatation, both in Roshar and Cosmere.

Yeah, the Dawnsingers were spren. The Dawnshards were... Something. 

We've seen word from Peter that they're the Honorblades, but that doesn't fit with the description in the books of their binding things. 

People have speculated that they're the spheres that Gavilar had. I don't believe this one either. 

So we know more about the Singers than the Shards, but not by much. 

Edited by Calderis

17 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Dawnshards was probably weapons of some kind. Maybe things that inspired the Honorblades. 

By the way, @Calderis since you are a big Mr. T fan, do you think he will bond Nightwatcher or the Dawnsinger? My money is on the Nightwatcher.

Nightwatcher all the way. Seeing as I think she was involved in the creation of the Diagram, I think it's already started. 

But if we want to discuss this, we she probably make another thread. 

2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Brandon confirmed on a reddit AMA that the Unmade are splinters of Odium, so I don't think they can be corrupted Dawnsingers.

And if I can find it I'll source it, we also have a WoP that the Unmade were something else before, hence the name Unmade. 

What prevents them from being splinters just because they already existed? If Odium injected his investiture into them and changed their nature, they would still be splinters, and still be of Odium. They just happened to be splinters of Adonalsium originally. 

I like it. I've always like the dawnsingers=unmade idea and the last dawnsinger being a bondsmith soren does have a kind of poetry about it.

As for the WoB that says unmade are splinters of odium I have no issue with it. It could be argued the Stormfather is a splinter of Honour but he certainly hasnt always been. Investiture can corrupt/change the original nature of something.

10 minutes ago, Calderis said:

And if I can find it I'll source it, we also have a WoP that the Unmade were something else before, hence the name Unmade. 

What prevents them from being splinters just because they already existed? If Odium injected his investiture into them and changed their nature, they would still be splinters, and still be of Odium. They just happened to be splinters of Adonalsium originally. 

Oh cool!  I haven't seen that WoP, and was always curious why they were called the Unmade if they were just Odium super-spren.

Since we know the Stormfather and 

5 hours ago, Calderis said:

We know the Stormfather predates the arrival of the Shards. We also know that the Nightwatcher is "to Cultivation, what the Stormfather is to Honor." So there you have a Bondsmith associated with two of the three Shards. 

My thought is that the Stormfather and probably Nightwatcher were spren of Adonalism, before the shattering, and then migrated to Hohor and cultivation. 

I have always thought the dawnsingers were of Adonalism and were unmade  with his shattering, and then became splinters of Odium. 

1 minute ago, FollowYourMuse said:

Since we know the Stormfather and 

My thought is that the Stormfather and probably Nightwatcher were spren of Adonalism, before the shattering, and then migrated to Hohor and cultivation. 

I have always thought the dawnsingers were of Adonalism and were unmade  with his shattering, and then became splinters of Odium. 

That's the point of this thread. 

If the Dawnsingers were unmade... There should have been 10 of them, and there are 9 unmade. 

So the remaining untainted dawnsinger should have survived and is our unaccounted for 3rd Bondsmith spren. 

7 minutes ago, Calderis said:

That's the point of this thread. 

If the Dawnsingers were unmade... There should have been 10 of them, and there are 9 unmade. 

So the remaining untainted dawnsinger should have survived and is our unaccounted for 3rd Bondsmith spren. 

Sorry I did not mean to post so soon. Work got busy :) I was going to add more on agreeing that the third bondsmith could be of adonalism and the remaining Dawnsinger.

I wonder if the other vision of Dalinars  remembering that the feeling of warmth and happiness, is related to the 10th Dawnsinger? 

WoB  that states that the unmade are splinters of Odium,  I don't see this as a conflict, Odium was of Adonalism too. So was the Stormfather and is now of Honor. 

Edited by FollowYourMuse

I'm not so sure I like this. The Stormfather isnt considered a Dawnsinger and is used to bond Bondsmiths, what makes you think that a final Dawnsinger would do that neccsarily?

I'm more likely to think the final non-corrupt Dawnsinger would be that blue spren from the Interlude in with Axies the Collector. 

17 minutes ago, ChazBolt said:

I'm not so sure I like this. The Stormfather isnt considered a Dawnsinger and is used to bond Bondsmiths, what makes you think that a final Dawnsinger would do that neccsarily?

I'm more likely to think the final non-corrupt Dawnsinger would be that blue spren from the Interlude in with Axies the Collector. 

Possible, but to what end. Cusicesh doesn't actually seem to do anything. The Dawnsingers were supposed to be guiding and helpful spren. 

Edit: we also know that there are three distinct and individual Bondsmith spren. We've heard of only two spren significant enough for the job, and only one actually confirmed as a Bondsmith spren. 

Why wouldn't a Dawnsinger, an ancient and powerful friend of humanity, also be one? 

Edited by Calderis

Just now, Calderis said:

Possible, but to what end. Cusicesh doesn't actually seem to do anything. The Dawnsingers were supposed to be guiding and helpful spren. 

We havent seen it do anything, but that doesnt mean it wont when the time comes. I just dont think we can jump to say the 10th Dawnsinger is for Bondsmiths, 

Btw, do we have a guess as to what superspren Tarvangian could be bonding to?

3 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Him doing it at all is total speculation, but the Nightwatcher 

Ah that does make sense.

And if that is true, that would further my thought that the 10th Dawnsinger isnt going to be used for Bondsmiths, seeing as the two other Bondsmiths we know of are bonded to Shard-spren. 

Which then send me thinking that Odium's Champion is the 3rd Bondsmith and will be attached to Odium's spren. 

So definitely not a Dawnsinger.

Edited by ChazBolt

18 minutes ago, ChazBolt said:

And if that is true, that would further my thought that the 10th Dawnsinger isnt going to be used for Bondsmiths, seeing as the two other Bondsmiths we know of are bonded to Shard-spren. 

Um, the Stormfather predates Honor. He's connected just like Nightwatcher is associated with Cultivation. They aren't literal splinters solely of the Shards. 

The Stormfather is the literal source of stormlight on Roshar. He was an Adonalsium spren for certain.