I'm really scared...

Tesh

@Tesh It will probably turn out awful. I'm 95% sure that it will.

The good thing is that the movies will come out and we'll all be able to say to our friends, "Read the books! Then moan with us how bad the movies are!"

If things turn out bad there is nothing we can do to change it, so there's no use worrying over it. Just....breathe. 

7 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Yeah... As usual I will just assume it's going to be be horrible. 

I'll watch the first one and have my assumptions confirmed, and never watch another. 

Or I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

It's good or I'm right. 

Can't lose. 

That's a very optimistic way to look at your pessimism in this scenario... then again who am I to judge. I'm probably the only idiot out here thinking that they're gonna be at the very least "decent". I mean, it is Sanderson work so it's sorta impossible to make it suck... probably...

I'm going to be neutral concerning the adaptations since it can go either way. I can't see WOK being done in one movie unless they made it ridiculously long or release it in multiple parts that come out within months of each other. I could easily see Mistborn being done in one film since they can streamline it a bit like combining some of the party scenes (love those scenes but I don't think a studio would want that many with 'so little' happening)

1 minute ago, ButteryShards said:

Does anybody know why they've chosen stormlight 1 to start off? If they're already planning on doing mistborn 1 wouldn't it make sense to do them chronologically? 

Because it's an epic like LOTR?

I, for one, am very optimistic about the movies! Brandon said in an interview (which I now can't find...) that they had read the entire canon of the Cosmere before they approached him to talk about a deal, and that makes me very hopeful for the films.

I'm not sure about the choice to start with WoK, for the same reasons that others have stated, but it does include quite a few very impressive visual elements to play with on screen, and it's a good indicator of the Cosmere at large. Everything; from the spren, to the chasmfiends, to the Highstorm and the landscape itself are perfect fodder for today's beautiful CG, and the plot lends itself to a more epic movie adapation. Mistborn, however, is very dark by comparison, it doesn't include very much 'visible' magic, and would probably come out more like a fantasy action movie on screen. Honestly, I would have gone with Warbreaker first, it seems like a good middle ground.

The screenwriters for the WoK adaptation are the ones who worked on 'Saw', which I don't see as a bad thing at all. The actual plot of the movies may not have been that strong, but they have Brandon's words to work with this time, and they did quite well with visual devices and obscure forshadowing in Saw, which I think will be helpful for WoK.

Of course they won't be exactly the same as the books, but as long as they don't make the common book-to-movie mistake of leaving out the wrong things for time reasons, I'm very hopeful that we'll at least have a good place to shove our friends into the shardpool, if not a stellar motion picture.

My only real concern? Who in the Storms is gonna play Hoid?!?

Edited by Cowmanthethird

If DMG are going for the marvel-esque cinematic universe sort of thing, would it make more sense to appeal to the majority of moviegoers who are only going because the movie trailer shows some cool superpower stuff? 

IMO mistborn would be the better one to introduce the world to. You've got a full fleshed out magic system in use from the get go, a dark mysterious world with a dark mysterious bad guy, a rag tag team of con artists/thieves, plus you've got screen time for some shard backstory.

I am soo looking forward to all the sweet sweet cosmere merch when the movies come out :P

I may have been way over exaggerating when I posted that. I was researching something Cosmere related in Leadership, and I came across that. I was pretty close to hyperventilating, then the person I was sitting next to calmed me down. Then as soon as I got home, I posted this...

10 hours ago, ButteryShards said:

If DMG are going for the marvel-esque cinematic universe sort of thing, would it make more sense to appeal to the majority of moviegoers who are only going because the movie trailer shows some cool superpower stuff? 

IMO mistborn would be the better one to introduce the world to. You've got a full fleshed out magic system in use from the get go, a dark mysterious world with a dark mysterious bad guy, a rag tag team of con artists/thieves, plus you've got screen time for some shard backstory.

I am soo looking forward to all the sweet sweet cosmere merch when the movies come out :P

Merchandise is good...

But if they mess up WoK, there will be no forgiveness. 

We have known this for a while, and Im hopeful, as long as they dont attempt to make one movie out of WoK (they need a television series with the budget of GoT to do Stormlight justice).

I think Mistborn could work well as a movie to start off with. As long as they focus on the plot and actually making a good movie, instead of trying to do a ton of set-up for other things, it can work really well. 

I'm worried about the critics though. They tend to be harsh against fantasy/blockbusters that aren't made by Disney. If we get a good Cosmere movie, and the critics brutally destroys it, I will never forgive, and never forget. I really dont want another Warcraft situation.

My concern lies entirely with the length of the story. Way of Kings is WAY too long and dense to be crammed into a single movie. Even if its 3 hours long. Lord of the Rings only pulled it off because Tolkien was already filling pages with descriptions of scenery and birdsongs. Brandon Sanderson fills his with action, dialogue, and relevant character thoughts. A movie MUST cut a ton of that down to be viewable by general audiences. Goodbye favorite side characters and consistency with the book. I'd much much rather it become a big budget tv series but i think Brandon Sanderson needs to become more popular before that can be hoped for.

Edited by Asrael

On 8/29/2017 at 8:12 PM, ILuvHats said:

Mistborn is the only way to go with films.  Wayne needs his camera time.

The Wax and Wayne books are by far the most movie-adaptable. From the first few pages it felt so cinematic to me! But you can't make those movies without making the original series first and that one will be subject to a less serious version of the problem I just described with Way of Kings

Looks like that article is from a year ago, so who knows what is in the works right now.  I think Mistborn has a lot of potential, especially since Era 1 is finished and the writers know what little details are important to keep in. 

If they start with Stormlight, then I'll be worried about Branding getting writers block while working on book 6, and having the movies pass him by.

Edited by anna

On 30/08/2017 at 1:46 PM, Cowmanthethird said:

My only real concern? Who in the Storms is gonna play Hoid?!?

Oooooh that's a good point.@Captains Domon I can see David Tennant playing hoid too.

I think having someone so instantly noticable would be great for a world hopper, especially when seeing hoid in any disguises doing cameos across movies.

However I also would be super happy if they went the way of star wars and cast unknown actors for a lot of the major roles too.

If I was a little bit taller I'd 100% audition for the kaladin role lol :D

Mistborn 1 would've been a lovely film to start off with; mostly because it's a bit more easily digested for a larger audience than I think Stormlight might be as a movie. Stormlight is a lot of politics and history and intricate worldbuilding and would get a bit awkward compressed as one movie, I think. Mistborn's story (at least book 1) follows a bit more of a "movie" plot pace i'd say. Also, that ash+red sun aesthetic would make for some really cool shots haha. Only problem is ... well, there's a lot of flying fights and insane martial arts and flashy magics involved in both. I hope they have a really impressive CG team, stuntmen, and a ton of budget :I I'm so afraid they'd make a fight and it comes out looking like a very old kung-fu movie. While those are cool, I'm not sure I want to see Vin or Kal in that style.

A Wax and Wayne movie would be amazing because

Spoiler

that first fight in alloy of law with the chandelier is something I've been craving to see made into a filmed scene since I read it.