[OB] Oathbringer Chapter 1-3

Steeldancer

7 minutes ago, the_archduke said:

Weren't the Releasers (Dustbringers) supposed to have red eyes?  Could that have some bearing on Odium's Champion?

They do, but that has to do with the fact that each Order gets different color glowy eyes. The eye glow seems to match the color of the gemstone associated with the Order (at least in the Ars Arcanum) - so ruby for the Dustbringers and garnet for Lightweavers.

17 minutes ago, Argent said:

They do, but that has to do with the fact that each Order gets different color glowy eyes. The eye glow seems to match the color of the gemstone associated with the Order (at least in the Ars Arcanum) - so ruby for the Dustbringers and garnet for Lightweavers.

If I remember correctly, either we postulated or it was confirmed that the glowing red eyes of the Dustbringers made the populace less trusting because of the perceived association with voidbringers, right?

7 minutes ago, frozndevl said:

If I remember correctly, either we postulated or it was confirmed that the glowing red eyes of the Dustbringers made the populace less trusting because of the perceived association with voidbringers, right?

That combined with the destruction they were capable of makes sense. 

1 hour ago, the_archduke said:

Shin invasions?  The reference made it sound like it had happened a long time ago, but wow.  If they can't walk on stone, how would they invade?

With music, of course, like the British Invasion of our so-called "real" world.

Just now, PunSpren said:

I keep thinking that something familiar has to have something to do with his own destructive past, or that the champion will be one of his sons.......

Maybe Taleb? His name appears to have been taken out of the flashback, but wasn't he the archer? From that chapter alone and what else was added, he's got reason enough to not like Dalinar I would think, or at least to have lingering feelings of hatred that could be manipulated.

He supposedly died in the Battle of Narak, but the way these things go, you can never believe a death until you see the body on screen...

4 minutes ago, Kalinovsky said:

I'm fairly sure that the Thrill is of Odium(can someone say if that's true or not?), so if that's true then maybe Dalinar is seeing it in the champion's eyes. He probably recognized it as something familiar.

If I remember right one of the unmade, Nergaoul, causes the Thrill.

6 minutes ago, Kalinovsky said:

I'm fairly sure that the Thrill is of Odium(can someone say if that's true or not?), so if that's true then maybe Dalinar is seeing it in the champion's eyes. He probably recognized it as something familiar.

Thats kind of what i was thinking, The thrill is of one of the unmade, so yes of odium's influence at least. 

http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Thrill#cite_note-Rwori14-3

@Kalinovsky This wiki article gives some sources, but to quote a specific line in it: "The Thrill seems to be connected to a Voidspren known as NergaoulKnights Radiant are immune to the Thrill's effects, and are often racked with feelings of disgust and nausea if it starts to come upon them."
Another thing that i find very interesting is this WOB:

INTERVIEW: Apr 8th, 2016

BLIGHTSONG

Ok, first one. Was Sadeas ever affected directly by Odium or an Unmade, not counting the Thrill?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Not counting the Thrill, ok uhhhhm. There are affects of other unmade around, and Odium's direct effect? I'm going to say, no, maybe some indirect effects.

BLIGHTSONG

What about Roshone?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Uhhhm, no. The Thrill is the main thing that is getting the Alethi, I mean, there are others around, but it's not as obvious with that as with other things.

So we know that the Thrill is the main mode of influence that Odium has on the Alethi...
And with the account of it in this last flashback, I think it is clear how much influence it really can have. I know that I underestimated the impact the Thrill can have on the people, but newer accounts of it seem to show it to be much less innocuous than I originally thought.

Although the answer is probably the obvious, I really like the idea that the gold light is Honor or the Spiritual Realm.

Not just because of the gold light Dalinar sees at the end of WoR, but who else wears gold when Dalinar sees him?

Honor.  And I'm pretty sure it was a completely gold outfit as well.

How that would work with Honor being splintered I'm not sure, but as others have mentioned, having two symbolic representations of Odium is a little odd, and with 9 shadows sprouting from the 'champion,' that figure reminds me a lot more of Odium than a color previously associated with other things.

Something I noticed. In the Adolin pov he mentions 

Four war camps of people

We know that Sebarial's, Dalinars camps evacuated. We know that Sadeas arrived, so did Sadeas just bring his army and lighteyes and leave the camp people behind? Or did Roions or Aladars camps not evacuate?

later Dalinar mentions specifically that Thanadal and Vamah stayed. 

2 hours ago, dgenio8 said:

Oathbringer, the in-world book.

Or it's Dalinars diary - an elogy to his lost and then found again shardblade which he never may own again.

Well, the other points I wanted to comment on are already written down by others, so I have little to write and much to upvote.

Edited by Pattern

@What's a Seawolf? As much as I want to agree with you I can't. The symbolism and the clothing makes sense, but Dalinar specifically tells the Stormfather the color. 

“What was that light I saw?” he whispered.

I saw no light, the Stormfather said.

“It was brilliant and golden, but terrible,” Dalinar whispered. “It bathed everything in its heat.”

Odium, the Stormfather rumbled. The enemy.

Again. I think we're attaching to much significance to color here. 

9 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Although the answer is probably the obvious, I really like the idea that the gold light is Honor or the Spiritual Realm.

Not just because of the gold light Dalinar sees at the end of WoR, but who else wears gold when Dalinar sees him?

Honor.  And I'm pretty sure it was a completely gold outfit as well.

How that would work with Honor being splintered I'm not sure, but as others have mentioned, having two symbolic representations of Odium is a little odd, and with 9 shadows sprouting from the 'champion,' that figure reminds me a lot more of Odium than a color previously associated with other things.

Huge major plot twist with no real basis - what if Odium IS Honor?! Or are least they are one being now. All this time we've been talking about the Heralds being traitors...what if Odium somehow made Honor a traitor? Maybe this is what caused Recreance, when the Knights learned this?

/tin-foil hat off

19 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Again. I think we're attaching to much significance to color here. 

What speaks against Odium creating a golden light as ambient illumination? He probably also could create a pink light if he wanted. What baffles me is that the black figure - assumed to be Odium's champion - throws nine shadows. The Unmade are splinters of Odium, so I would expect that in such a vision, the avatar of Odium himself would throw the Unmade as shadows, not a mere champion. Combined with the golden light in Dalinar's dreamy-vision in the end of WoR, which read far too peaceful to be of Odium, I am led to the conclusion not to fully trust information given us by the Stormfather, who additionally seems to be gold-color blind.

All in all it was nice to read the first chapters on one of the last hot and sunny days of the year instead of somewhen in rainy November, so the golden light fit well to my reading environment ;-)

Edited by Pattern
Typo-ex

Without the context the obvious answer for something " brilliant, golden, but terrible, bathing everything in heat" would be the sun. This connect also with the Unmade seen as shadows.

Aren't the Shin worshiping the sun?

Edited by hypatia

On a different note, the dialogue about trying to unite Roshar and getting the other nations to believe Dalinar makes me think Kaladin might be spending some time this book flying around showing off his Radiant-ness to convince people of what's going on.

Maybe the "champion" that Dalinar recognizes is that he simply sees himself in the Champion, as he used to be when he was in thrall to the Thrill. We have the flashback showing the effects of the Thrill, which may not be a coincidence. It could be showing him that ultimate victory for Odium comes when the KR are corrupted fully.

Also, having the squires be subject to proximity to the Radiant definitely makes me think that Bridge Four will be weaker surgebinders, and not just able to infuse. 

The Windrunner Resonance would be pretty useless if their stronger and more numerous squires can't follow them to battle. 

4 hours ago, ccstat said:

The gold surprised me as well. We've all been focusing on the red eyes, thinking that makes Rayse's color red. 

Now the reference to (Alloy of Law spoilers)

Hide contents

"Men of red and gold" starts to make a more sense. I will take it as further evidence that Odium (gold) and "Trell" (red) are working together, though there are other interpretations.

Plot twist, those are actually Lannister troops - Brandon is laying the groundwork for integrating ASOIAF into the Cosmere, since GRRM will never finish the books and BS will have to step in like he did for WoT. ;)

Edited by dantlee