[OB] Oathbringer Chapter 1-3

Steeldancer

Reading through the tor discussion and comparing with the one here is so much fun. Athough there are discussions, there seems to be an overall impression or some specially liked characters. Discussion there is how Adolin can be the champion and how Dalinar is usurping Elhokar's authority. Here evil Adolin is barely mentioned, and people seem pretty happy with the power usurpation :P

Just now, the_archduke said:

So is Kaladin or Jasnah going to be opening the Oathgate in Kholinar?

Not sure. It could be Kaladin if it was part of the reason he went back home. He could have been tasked with trying to open it before or after the sneak peak we got of him returning to Hearthstone. 

It is probably more likely that Jasnah will be in charge of opening most of the gates, especially if she has been able to master the transportation element of her powers. 

Alright, let me post a few thoughts before I read all the other replies (in the interest of keeping my opinion pure). I will then edit.

So we open up with excerpts from the in-world Oathbringer. Which is always something to be excited for, but for a moment there it almost sounded like Brandon talking about our Oathbringer: "I’m certain some will feel threatened by this record. Some few may feel liberated. Most will simply feel that it should not exist." Which was funny to me.

Dalinar Kholin appeared in the vision standing beside the memory of a dead god.

This is such a Brandon Sanderson line. I've been getting This is his style - something about this feels like a Brandon opening line, though I can't quite put my finger on what exactly.

A golden light, brilliant yet terrible. Standing before it, a dark figure in black Shardplate. The figure had nine shadows, each spreading out in a different direction, and its eyes glowed a brilliant red.

Dalinar stared deep into those eyes, and felt a chill wash through him. Though the destruction raged around him, vaporizing rocks, those eyes frightened him more. He saw something terribly familiar in them.

This was a danger far beyond even the storms.

This was the enemy’s champion. And he was coming.

Well then. That's terrifying, and we are not even a full chapter into the book. I do have to wonder about the golden light though, because Dalinar saw a similar light at the end of Words of Radiance. Is this him peeking across realmic boundaries, and into the Spiritual? Who knows. 

I also have to wonder if, since the wave of destruction is meant "to represent the darkness and devastation that was coming upon humankind", is Odium's champion meant to represent that destruction? 

lush lips, light violet eyes, silvering black hair in perfect braids, curves accentuated by the tight silk havah. No man would ever accuse Navani of being scrawny.

Oh my, Dalinar, did I hear you refer to Navani as "thicc"? You old rascal you.

Dalinar Kholin was a connoisseur of death.

That's a beautiful line. Morbid, but beautiful.

The men of Bridge Four had not bonded their own spren, and—though they had started manifesting powers—had lost their abilities when Kaladin had flown to Alethkar to warn his family of the Everstorm.

Ah, so they need to hang out around Kaladin. But hey, good to know, Lopen did some more glowing! Now that world can actually see all the rude gestures he shows it.

not during the Shin invasions

Whoah, Shin invasions!? This could add a little bit of an evidence in the "the Shin came to Roshar after everyone else, and from another place" bucket. Because Shinnovar is not a very big country, they can't exactly wreck too much havoc. 

A single awespren burst around Dalinar, like a ring of blue smoke.

I still love the fact that awespren are the prefect expression of being mindblown.

Storms, Dalinar, at this point I’m not certain a rockslide could kill you.

Spoiler for The Thrill chapter sequence available in Unfettered II.

Spoiler

This, I am pretty sure, is a classic Brandon foreshadowing. Because didn't Dalinar survive exactly a landslide a few flashbacks later?

So let's go and see what you all are saying about these chapters.

About Oathbringer, the in-world book. I think it might be related with the establishement of the Knights Radiant and the orders. Maybe this is the book that describes the ideals and power of the Knights, and the rules they should follow. With it the people with Nahel bound started to have to say and uphold some specific Oaths to advance the bound.

10 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Sounds very likely. Jasnah has to know where to find it and how to work it first though, so it might end up being Kaladin. 

I would guess it will involve both of them. Kaladin already knows what to look for inside, but she's far more familiar with the area it's located in. 

1 minute ago, dgenio8 said:

About Oathbringer, the in-world book. I think it might be related with the establishement of the Knights Radiant and the orders. Maybe this is the book that describes the ideals and power of the Knights, and the rules they should follow. With it the people with Nahel bound started to have to say and uphold some specific Oaths to advance the bound.

Is it possible that Ishar wrote it? He created the Knights Radiant after all, and is the patron of the Order of Bondsmiths. This is the Bondsmith book, and Dalinar is a bondsmith, and also the main flashback character. His sword was named after the book. Seems to fit together. My new theory: Ishar wrote Oathbringer, and it is about how the Oaths and the Knights Radiant works.

Oathbringer is the name of Dalinar's old sword.  I suspect the book Oathbringer (in Cosmere) is a history of the blade Oathbringer

Spoiler for other Unfettered chapters

Spoiler

Which we know from Unfettered was the blade of the Sunmaker.  My guess is Oathbringer is the Sunmaker's record of his overthrow of the church and founding of Althekar

Edited by the_archduke

1 minute ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Is it possible that Ishar wrote it? He created the Knights Radiant after all, and is the patron of the Order of Bondsmiths. This is the Bondsmith book, and Dalinar is a bondsmith, and also the main flashback character. His sword was named after the book. Seems to fit together. My new theory: Ishar wrote Oathbringer, and it is about how the Oaths and the Knights Radiant works.

Besides, this is the first book where the Knights Radiant are in the open and training since the beginning. And there is a general consensus that they (and we) should learn what can they do!

9 minutes ago, Argent said:

"I’m certain some will feel threatened by this record. Some few may feel liberated. Most will simply feel that it should not exist."

Could the in-world Oathbringer contain the reason for the recreance? Some will feel threatened by it(radiants) some few may feel liberated(wasn't there one order that stayed on), if this is the case it would answer a lot of  questions.

I would love for Brandon to throw us a curve ball here and have the in world book/epigraphs be a book that a current character is in the process of writing. 

It would be like the excerpts from Navani's journal in the last book, but more formalized. 

Edited by Calderis

A thought about the figure in black shardplate:  Any reason why this couldn't be Rayse?  It could be that since Dalinar doesn't know about Rayse that he assumes it is Odium's champion.  And the familiarity could be Dalinar having met or known Rayse already?

Does anyone else think that Rayse may have appeared somewhere on-screen already?

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

I would love for Brandon to throw us a curve ball here and have the in world book/epigraphs be a book that a current character is in the process of writing. 

It would be like the exception from Navani's journal in the last book, but more formalized. 

Yeah, that would be cool. Most likely author would be Khriss and Nazh, Hoid is another possibility.

Just now, phoenix2563 said:

A thought about the figure in black shardplate:  Any reason why this couldn't be Rayse?  It could be that since Dalinar doesn't know about Rayse that he assumes it is Odium's champion.  And the familiarity could be Dalinar having met or known Rayse already?

Does anyone else think that Rayse may have appeared somewhere on-screen already?

I strongly doubt he could manifest through whatever is keeping him bound.

There's also an WoB that I can't find that he says Odium's avatar has not been seen on screen, and then he RAFO'd whether Cultivation's has or not. 

Just some thoughts on the golden light in regards to Odium: I actually feels it makes sense. If I remember correctly (feel free to correct me), Odium was Adonalsium's divine wrath, separated from the other shards and intents that justify and give meaning to it. It would make sense that some Light is not Good tropes would apply to divine punishment.

1 hour ago, ccstat said:

I am curious, though, where the 18 comes from. That doesn't really fit with our 10-obsessive Rosharans. 

Two options come to mind...

1. There are as of yet undiscovered levels, two to be exact... there's always another secret
  2. We are overthinking it or something like the Oathgates and the fields were considered the 19th and 20th levels.
Edited by frozndevl
typos

I also feel like we've been assuming to much with the color = shard thing. 

Another WoB that I can't find at the moment (I can't focus enough for proper searches right now) the colors (specifically red if I remember right) have more to do with specific phenomena than specific shards.  

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

I also feel like we've been assuming to much with the color = shard thing. 

Another WoB that I can't find at the moment (I can't focus enough for proper searches right now) the colors (specifically red if I remember right) have more to do with specific phenomena than specific shards.  

There has to be a reason for Stormfather to directly go "thats Odium" when hearing about the color from Dalinar though. I can buy that red is a phenomena (after all, it is seen on both Roshar and Scadrial, and Odium is most likely not on Scadrial). But this whole gold-thing... there has to be a connection between Odium and gold. 

53 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

I'm going to leave this link here, was a soft theory but after reading new chapters seems it could be valid.

Thanks for the link. I'd missed that thread. The quote referenced there (from one of the Unfettered flashbacks) lists the same three conquests but in a different order: Shin, Sunmaker, Hierocracy, rather than Shin, Hierocracy, Sunmaker. I'm going to conclude that we haven't learned anything about chronology yet.

On the champion... 

This may be something more than the vision. 

I still think it's connected, but it may be something more than just what was there. This was a accessed through a portion of the vision that Dalinar was not meant to experience. Additionally, it seems that unlike the rest of the vision, the Stormfather was not privy to it. 

So perhaps it is more akin to the "unsent" vision and Dalinar is peeking into the spiritual. I still think that the eyes are familiar to him on a non-personal level. 

The eyes glowing red seem to me to be a personification of the influence of Odium. The flashbacks show us that Dalinar lived for the Thrill and life without it was mundane. He's changed and the Thrill is now revolting. If that were turned into a personified force, I can't help but think it would be both familiar and terrifying.