How to kill a gold compounder?

Zmaray

Gold compounders can heal on both the physical and spiritual realms (maybe cognitive as well?). Aside from ripping out their metal minds, could anything kill them?

I personally think that if you beheaded them with Nightblood, it would destroy both their spirit and conscience as well as their body, meaning that the metalminds cannot be metabolised by the person in order to grow back a new head.

Or simply wounding him over and over until he runs out of gold. I mean, sometimes the simplest answer really is the better one. I can think of a couple of ways. Drop a huge weight on him: He might be able to heal himself enough to not die, keeping him for just splattering, but constant healing on that scale would burn out fairly quickly. Remember, Compounding means that you pull out more health from a metalmind you burn then you put into it. Doesn't mean you have unlimited healing. Another one? Tie him up with manacles, then put him in a furnace. Even if it isn't a crazy hot fire, he'd have to heal pretty much his entire surface area constantly, again, burning through his huge reserves. You get the idea.

Yeah the more easy way is to pull a costant damage to their body and let their charge run out, it's the reason Miles carried explosive, to remove himself from mostly bad situations.

Of course there are more efficient way on doing so, for example Rip their stomach out will prevent them from burning gold and therefore compound more than they have already (it's possible to remove some ingested goldmind too).

If you want to stay in the "more magical way" a Leecher could be quite efficient in removing all the uninvested Gold in seconds and start to drain the Goldmind (if they are in the Compounder's System).

Behead someone with Nightblood could or not work...first of all we don't know if Healing could heal at all a Spiritual Damage of that magnitudo (made by Nightblood or by a "simple" Shardblade), much more we don't know how a Cognitive Damage works...I suspect that destroying the Cognitive made the target physically fall apart, but it's only a speculation.

Edited by Yata

11 minutes ago, Yata said:

Behead someone with Nightblood could or not work...first of all we don't know if Healing could heal at all a Spiritual Damage of that magnitudo (made by Nightblood or by a "simple" Shardblade),

For a regular Shardblade there should be no problem. F-gold definitely heals the soul. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1160#81

KURKISTAN

If you spiked out Miles' Feruchemical gold, would he be able to burn his Allomantic reserves [read: Feruchemical reserves using Allomancy] and heal it back?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Uhn... Okay. If you spiked out his ability to heal gold and somehow left him alive.

KURKISTAN

Yeah, but still having Allomancy.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Still has allomancy.

KURKISTAN

And he’s like in the middle of burning a goldmind.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, that would still work. It'd still have a Spiritual connection to him.

Nightblood... Who knows if there'd be anything left to heal back from, but a regular Shardblade should have no issue. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

For a regular Shardblade there should be no problem. F-gold definitely heals the soul. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1160#81

Nightblood... Who knows if there'd be anything left to heal back from, but a regular Shardblade should have no issue. 

I know a Shardblade's cut be healed by Gold (and indeed every kind of Healing) but a "fatal Spiritual wound" could be different (I am not saying it is different, but it could be). Because if you "die" and your Soul is really cutted from your body...you in that situation may not be able to activate your access to your healing. Someone else could Heal you quite fine (we saw this in the books) but I am not sure about self healing from lethal Spiritual Damage (with mundane damage I have no problem at all, also because we saw already this kind of scenario).

Just now, Yata said:

I know a Shardblade's cut be healed by Gold (and indeed every kind of Healing) but a "fatal Spiritual wound" could be different (I am not saying it is different, but it could be). Because if you "die" and your Soul is really cutted from your body...you in that situation may not be able to activate your access to your healing. Someone else could Heal you quite fine (we saw this in the books) but I am not sure about self healing from lethal Spiritual Damage (with mundane damage I have no problem at all, also because we saw already this kind of scenario).

Ah, that makes sense, and I agree. I've ranted about this before.

I think it's one of those situations where if the healing were initiated before the wound, it would continue. If, conversely, the killing blow landed before they could react and start tapping/burning then dead is dead. 

Now that I understand what you meant, I fully agree. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

Ah, that makes sense, and I agree. I've ranted about this before.

I think it's one of those situations where if the healing were initiated before the wound, it would continue. If, conversely, the killing blow landed before they could react and start tapping/burning then dead is dead. 

Now that I understand what you meant, I fully agree. 

Yeah, I think this is right. A Radiant with active Stormlight healing can survive Shardblades, so I think an actively tapping Feruchemical Gold user could as well.

I don't think the situation is that different from radically destructive physical damage. I think if the brain was destroyed or the person was decapitated or blown apart, they'd have to already be tapping to survive it. A sniper rifle shot (that they don't see/hear coming) that destroyed the correct part of the brain would probably be fatal even without aluminum bullets.

I'm not sure what the threshold is, though. Wax only gets handed the Bands when he's already talking to Harmony in the Cognitive Realm - though Harmony might have stretched a point there, so who knows if that would work normally...

5 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

Yeah, I think this is right. A Radiant with active Stormlight healing can survive Shardblades, so I think an actively tapping Feruchemical Gold user could as well.

I don't think the situation is that different from radically destructive physical damage. I think if the brain was destroyed or the person was decapitated or blown apart, they'd have to already be tapping to survive it. A sniper rifle shot (that they don't see/hear coming) that destroyed the correct part of the brain would probably be fatal even without aluminum bullets.

I'm not sure what the threshold is, though. Wax only gets handed the Bands when he's already talking to Harmony in the Cognitive Realm - though Harmony might have stretched a point there, so who knows if that would work normally...

The complete destruction of physical is no a problem for Cosmere's Healing (with an exception of KRfor a reason, I could only speculate).

Maybe I just expect more out of a gold Compounder than you guys. 

If I were a gold Compounder, I'd go full Miles. I wouldn't rely on wearable goldmines. I'd have bars of it on the inside of my ribs. In near limb cores by bones. If there's room there inside the body pit it there. Because frankly, what's the point of invulnerability if you leave yourself vulnerable? 

Metal doesn't have to be in the stomach or on the skin to be burnt/stored/tapped. 

I'm gonna be ready to regrow any limb. No matter what happens, because why not. 

5 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

That's fine keep it within. We'll tie you up nice and tight and toss you into a vat of bleach. Eventually your charge will be expended and then good night.

That's easier said than done though. Think about miles. When you know something can't kill you, you're willing to do things that are absolutely nuts. I would not want to be the one to try and catch Miles and tie him up. 

Miles is has the ultimate "come at me, bro." cigar and dynamite. 

Ah, the classic "how do we kill the regenerator" issue.

Traditionally, there are four ways to do it:

1. Remove the healing factor - e.g. rip out all of the gold, spike out both gold Allomancy and Feruchemy (only one of them is not sufficient), Soulstamp him not be a Compounder, Leech him (dangerous since the Leecher would need lots and lots of chromium and good grip and they could blow themselves up Miles style)
  2. Exploit the weakness, if there's any - e.g. aluminum in wounds prevents healing, therefore an aluminum schrapnel bullet in the brain should do the trick
  3. Outpace the ability to heal - e.g. deal so much damage it will drain all of the metalminds dry. This is of course quite hard to do since once you have goldminds inside of your body (like @Calderis would do), you can Compound for a very, very long time. Swim a sea of acid long time.
    Therefore we have to rely on either somehow immobilizing the Compounder, like throwing into volcano or into the Sun, dropping a mountain on him... the rest is left as an exercise to the reader
  4. Use unusual methods of destruction - methods which cannot be countered by healing - e.g. Soulcast him into something else, destroy with Nightblood, probably teleport into Selish subastral so that Dor rips him to pieces or to Braize with a card saying "Rayse is a crybaby" etc

And that's about it.

Ruin once gave Spook another power just because a sword passed through another person and into him.

So, how hard is it to spike gold allomancy/feruchemy? Can you make it fast? Can you make it instant? Can you steal his powers during the fight and use them immediately, if you know the skill and have, for example, speed feruchemy?

Killing a regenerator is a pretty standard topic.

In the case of a Gold Compounder, with insane amounts of gold that's been implanted internally to prevent removal? Bury them alive in concrete. They'll either die (eventually) or wish they could die.

The important things is basically just "Give him a constant source of damage and no way of escaping it". Chains and such aren't as helpful, since when the bit of him that's chained up burns through he'll just walk free of the chains.

Just trick him into entering a large metal box (shipping container), lock the door, fill it with concrete and then bury it all.