6 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Roles are rules, so yes, you can create them.

Also be very careful about creating post restrictions.

Hmmm...

Beginning of everything, you say?

Ati. :lol: Best part is I even look like the description of Ati in the books.

I totally want your Shard. Or Devotion. Actually, I kinda wonder if I get a Shard, what it will be

Out of curiousity, for the sake of future games I will be running.

What precisely is it that players prefer about 48 day, 24 night, as compared to straight 72 hour cycles?What precisely is it that players prefer about 48 day, 24 night, as compared to straight 72 hour cycles?

13 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Out of curiousity, for the sake of future games I will be running.

What precisely is it that players prefer about 48 day, 24 night, as compared to straight 72 hour cycles?What precisely is it that players prefer about 48 day, 24 night, as compared to straight 72 hour cycles?

The lynch/actions results will take longer to be revealed, players will get bored, the thread will fall into inactivity imo

7 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

The lynch/actions results will take longer to be revealed, players will get bored, the thread will fall into inactivity imo

Yeah but... I feel like when you have night cycles, nothing really happens, in terms of discussion or activity. It's just a window to put in action orders that you decided on in the last day cycle.

15 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Yeah but... I feel like when you have night cycles, nothing really happens, in terms of discussion or activity. It's just a window to put in action orders that you decided on in the last day cycle.

I like night cycles usually because it separates things into two distinct parts;  Daylight operations, and Night Actions.  Which is why I made my faction's abilities night.

Plus, call me old fashioned, but Mafia has day/night cycles. :P It might just be nostalgia, or liking things the way I first played it.

And, if you feel like night cycles don't have anything happening...  Well, this is a game where rules are created.  Make night cycles more fun. :P 

16 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

I suppooose but like, you get to discuss the lynch outcome with the thread before the NK, which may be useful if you're a villager with a high chance of being NK'd 

Hm, alright, interesting. Thanks folks.

Just wondering about cycle structuring.

If people feel strongly about the whole day/night thing, maybe I ought to make my games like so. 'Cuz the game should be about the players, even if personally I kind of don't like night cycles.

Edited by Drake Marshall

14 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

To be fair, you as a village do have the ability to make night turns interesting.

Given how you're making all the rules and all

Edited by AliasSheep

On 24/08/2017 at 10:21 PM, AliasSheep said:

@Orlok Tsubodai How will the voting for rules work?

Having thought about it, I propose that each turn, players may submit a proposal to the GM in their PM, who reveals the list of proposals in the next writeup. Players then have one anonymous vote for a rule from the list, submitted in their PM (in addition to another proposal), and the three rules with the most votes are selected, revealed, and implemented in the following writeup,  alongside the new set of proposed rules.

16 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Hm, alright, interesting. Thanks folks.

Just wondering about cycle structuring.

If people feel strongly about the whole day/night thing, maybe I ought to make my games like so. 'Cuz the game should be about the players, even if personally I kind of don't like night cycles.

If you don't like day/night cycles, QF and MR are the way to go. With the LGs, it's like what Stick said - the thread eventually dies. You see that happen in just standard 48 hour cycles, especially later in the game. Now imagine those dead cycles being 72 hours instead of 48.

We've had one LG that had combined cycles. LG 30. It worked because Aman built that game around RP incentives, heavily encouraging people to be active posters, RPing all the time. He wrote up insanely long write-ups every cycle, leaving prompts at the end to engage the players and give them something to RP. And it worked. Those 70 hour cycles were generally pretty active the entire time.

Unless the GM is doing basically the same thing with a game built specifically for that kind of player engagement, 72 hour cycles will cause player inactivity. I would bet $100 on that. Few people would talk after the first 24 hours of every cycle after cycle 3.

Okay. So been wanting to sign up for a while. Got an exam coming up, but can't miss out on this. I haven't read the rest of the thread so don't really know what rules have been implemented so far. 

Caramelion - A weirdo who loves chocolate

48/24

Every night, one action from the submitted night actions is chosen at random, and that action is then used on a random person instead of the intended target, excluding the original target from the random list.

21 hours ago, AliasSheep said:

@Clanky Your rule has multiple complex roles and so has been vetoed.

I was worried about that. It honestly started as a simple role then I got carried away. :rolleyes:

So new Rule then:

Every player has a win condition (separate from faction win conditions or any other win condition that appears) in which they are given one player who they must outlive and one player who has to outlive them or both survive to the end of the game.

Edited by Clanky

4 hours ago, Orlok Tsubodai said:

Having thought about it, I propose that each turn, players may submit a proposal to the GM in their PM, who reveals the list of proposals in the next writeup. Players then have one anonymous vote for a rule from the list, submitted in their PM (in addition to another proposal), and the three rules with the most votes are selected, revealed, and implemented in the following writeup,  alongside the new set of proposed rules.

People are still going to be claiming what they voted for, to avoid everybody voting for the same rule. Thought it'd be worth noting.

That said, I really like the layout of this rule.

2 hours ago, little wilson said:

If you don't like day/night cycles, QF and MR are the way to go. With the LGs, it's like what Stick said - the thread eventually dies. You see that happen in just standard 48 hour cycles, especially later in the game. Now imagine those dead cycles being 72 hours instead of 48.

We've had one LG that had combined cycles. LG 30. It worked because Aman built that game around RP incentives, heavily encouraging people to be active posters, RPing all the time. He wrote up insanely long write-ups every cycle, leaving prompts at the end to engage the players and give them something to RP. And it worked. Those 70 hour cycles were generally pretty active the entire time.

Unless the GM is doing basically the same thing with a game built specifically for that kind of player engagement, 72 hour cycles will cause player inactivity. I would bet $100 on that. Few people would talk after the first 24 hours of every cycle after cycle 3.

I was very much thinking of LG30 when I said "what's so bad about 72 hour cycles"

I find it curious that this would produce inactivity. I'll take your word for it, 'cuz you've probably seen 72 hour games other than LG30, but...

72 hour cycles doesn't inherently make there less things going on, nor in the grand scheme of things does it change the actual rate at which things happen.

So I find this dynamic somewhat surprising.

1 hour ago, little wilson said:

2 turns, 48 hours each, so 96 hour cycles. Yes. Drake, however, is talking about a single turn, 72-hour cycle.

Also, LG33 had measures to encourage activity and RP, somewhat similar to LG30.

31 minutes ago, Megasif said:

Every night, one action from the submitted night actions is chosen at random, and that action is then used on a random person instead of the intended target, excluding the original target from the random list.

All hail the gods of RNG.