With all these family roles, I wonder if an adoptee gets married to another adoptee and adopts another adoptee, would there be a grandparent situation? Can you adopt two kids and have siblings? Can there be aunts and uncles and nieces and nephews?

I may be going too far into this roleplaying thing, but I'll change my roleplaying character to Cleo from my previous games.

This is ridiculous, I love it! I will be playing as Reginald Canuck. I voted for the two cycles. My rule, is that there are items that players can use. These items would be passive, active 1-use, and active permanent. These items could be traded, given, and potentially stolen. Should a person die, these items would be revealed and could be picked up.

Now, I would specify some items into existence, but I'm unsure if that would break the bounds of the single rule or the extent to which this single rule extends.

Ok I will sign up as Bugg, an old bald man with an affinity for large bodies of water.

Rule:

I figured I'd add to the whole familial nature that appears to be popping up in the roles section. 

Roles/Win condition: Sibling Rivalry 

Youngest Sibling:

You spent your whole childhood being abused and mocked by your older sibling. Now that you have matured into a god with the power of creation in your hands it's time for revenge. Unfortunately your disreputable older sibling caught wind of your plans and went into hiding. Nonetheless you can smell their specific brand of evil anywhere and will surely find them and enact your revenge. Especially with your disguise that will surely allow you to get close enough to stab your elder sibling directly in the back. 

You do not know the identity of your Eldest Sibling.

Powers:  

You know that your conniving sibling will be out to get you as well so you have people watching your back at every turn: Passive power: Receive a list of every player that performed an action on you last cycle at the beginning of every cycle

Your desire for revenge gives you strength: Active Power: You can attack one player every turn (night if we end up going with 48/24 day night cycles).  If you hit one of your siblings this counts as two attacks instead.

As the youngest sibling you learned how to get what you want from your parent or any other adult really: Active Power: Every turn (or night) you may search another player for mentions of your name in any PM they sent or received. You will receive a list of all the sentences that contain your name/characters name that your target sent or received that cycle. 

Win Condition:

You must outlive your Eldest Sibling. If they die and you are not involved in their death you will be very sad causing you to be unable to use any actions for the next two full cycles.

Eldest Sibling:

Sure you may have been a bit mean to your littlest sibling but it's all fun and game right? Every eldest sibling does it. You never really thought it would end up with a murder attempt. So it's up to you to patch this up. Unfortunately it's tough to talk to someone who tries to murder you on sight. So at least until this whole crazy ordeal with all this creation and murdering happening it's best to just lay low and try and keep your little sibling alive. Your parents would never forgive if they died on your watch and you can't believe they thought that ridiculous costume would be able to hide their identity from you.

You do know the identity of your Youngest Sibling. 

Powers:

You'll do whatever it takes to protect your sibling. Active Power: You may protect one player per cycle(night) from an attack. If it is one of your siblings it can protect from two attacks. If you block an attack on your sibling this way you learn the identity of the attacker. 

Some people call you bossy but I guess that comes with the territory as an eldest child. Active Power:  You can order the GM to pass an anonymous message to your youngest sibling once per turn.

Self preservation. Passive Power: If you are not using your active power to protect another player this turn you are protected from one attack.

Win condition: 

Keep your Youngest Sibling alive till the end of the game. You must also survive in order to explain to them how all that they viewed as you torturing them was just fun and games.

Middle Sibling:

You were always the forgotten one as a middle child. Neither your parent or any of your siblings ever seemed to notice anything that you did. Now that's worked in your favour since your siblings never could have guessed that you would end up the most powerful of them all. You heard rumours that your other siblings were having a war but you couldn't care less. Best that you don't get involved or they will start to notice you in a negative way. 

You do not know the identity of any of your siblings and neither of them know your identity.

Powers:

Each turn you can chose one player to attack twice and defend one player (other than yourself)from two attacks. However if you kill your Youngest Sibling your Eldest Sibling will find out. They will learn your identity and having to outlive you will be added to their Win Condition. Also their protective role will change and become an attack role equivalent to the attack of the Youngest Sibling. Similarly if you protect your Eldest Sibling from an attack your Youngest Sibling will learn your identity and gain the Win Condition of outliving you. So be carefull!

The ignored child: Active Power: You can choose one player to follow every cycle(night) and learn who they performed actions upon.

Win Condition: 

Don't get in the way! If you are killed by either of your siblings you lose no matter if your other faction win conditions are met. Your secondary win condition is to kill at least one player with your powers and defend at least one player from an attack.

Clarification: These are not necessarily unique roles. There can be multiple different sets of siblings with no relation to each other. These roles can be in combination with any other role and are also compatible with any other faction. If your win condition for your faction is met but not your win condition from this role I suppose you could say you still won. But will you really be happy calling that a win?:huh:

Anyone have any thoughts/criticisms of these roles?

Well. What's a family without food on the table?

Introducing a game mechanic I just randomly thought of.

Each player has random amount of pancakes at the start of the game (GMs can decide the max roll :P). One pancake is consumed each day turn, more food can be gained by sacrificing your night action (or one of them?), to work for 2 pancakes (can be action-blocked). If a player runs out of pancakes, they become Hungered and cannot vote during the day and cannot work. The only way they can get food is if it is given to them by another player. If a cycle passes whilst Hungered and no food has been consumed, they become Starved and cannot talk in thread, make any actions asides from making PMs and conversing in them.

And coming from this is a role, doesn't have to do with the game, just a role with the mechanic.

The Baker

Each night you may select two people to give a pancake to, you yourself need not worry about food unless you are role-blocked at night, as you make your own food at night. Oh, did I mention the entire town gets its food from you? That's right, if you're roleblocked, then noone can work for their food, and the actions will fail. Oh, and if you die, the entire town goes into Famine and everyone will die in 2 cycles. 2 painful, slow, cycles :) 

@AliasSheep @STINK

If you guys decide to allow both things in for whatever reason, I doubt it but anyway, if you do, make this edit to the original mechanic.

If a player runs out of pancakes, they become Hungered and cannot vote during the day and cannot work and can only work that night for food.

We're getting waaay too into this family thing. Guys, it's the moment of the freaking creation of the universe. I think getting married and adopting kids can wait until you have at least an universe to live in.

21 hours ago, AliasSheep said:

@Bort Your rule is confusing me.  What does creating a world do?  How can it be targeted?  How could it have a negative effect?  What does "(invested)" mean?

Creating a world has one of three effects:

1. A beneficial effect - The target is provided with intelligence that allows them to avoid dying once.

2. A negative effect - The world provides shock troops for a surprise attack on the target. One defence is stripped from the target, so the next attack against them cannot be protected against (unless they have multiple protections).

3. Stab In The Back - The Creator can, instead of choosing a target for the other effects, choose to use the world against the person who helped create it. Three turns later, that player is dead, this cannot be defended against, but it also means the Creator cannot create any more worlds until the death takes place.

Targets and effects are chosen by the Creator (and presumably agreed with the second player needed for creation), and must be specified at the time of creation. 'Expending' a world (as in, the target has been defended, or had a defence removed) also destroys it.

Or, if you don't like this idea, the worlds could be used to create the items that have already been mentioned. Either each world produces only one item (but does so every turn), or each world can produce three items of any kind, but then runs out and is destroyed.

Invested is an optional rule. You said in the initial description...

The worlds are unwrought and investiture flies free, unbound to any form.  It cannot last.

And other players have mentioned having Adonalsium around, and I suggested the Shattering of Adonalsium which would leave Shards floating around. So, I would say invested means they either have a Shard, or have spent some time collecting Investiture from the surrounding area.

Like i said though, that part is optional, and would only really apply if you decide to have forms of Investiture in the game.

Name;  Magestar

Rule;  There is a faction known as the WorldSmiths since why not, who have a doc, and a win-con, which is to have collectively the most items at the end of the game, and a faction ability, which is the ability to kill a person and create an item with an aspect of that persons role as it's ability every other night cycle, which goes to the player who used the faction kill that night.  

Possible Permutations;  A normal role'd players death could result in an item that doesn't do anything - Or, it could work like a normal hemalurgic thingie and generate an item that has one of the players normal abilities;  A vote, A Life, Access to a Faction Doc, ETC.  A person with multiple roles or abilities should probably just generate an item with one aspect of it, but whatever works.

Flavor;  At the Dawn of Time, those who found themselves floating in the midst of all that now was, looked, and saw a vast void, filled with raw material.  In this void they would seek to fill it, taking the raw components available and forging them into powerful devices, creatures, and even worlds.  These few would become known as the WorldSmiths.  (That's all I got for now.  Does Flavor count as more rule than I'm allowed?)

Does that seem solid?  I think it looks OK.  Thought their should be another faction and also I like items.  So Bam.

If there are problems with this, which I am sure there will be, let me know. :P If it just needs to be clarified to make it work I can do that, just thought of this and remembered your game, so I thought it would be cool to put in it.  If creating an actual faction with abilities and everything is too much then I guess I can drop it.  I haven't read all 7 pages thoroughly but I don't think that there are any things like this.

On 8/24/2017 at 2:21 PM, AliasSheep said:

@Drake Marshall See Wilson's comment about the GMs creating things.  Unless you specify faction actions, they're probably not going to be made.

Proposed ammendment:

Players will invent their own faction actions, then, at the same time that players create their faction win condition. But, like the win condition, these powers need to be okayed by the GM. Factions submitting a more difficult win condition will be allowed to assign themselves more difficult faction powers.

The faction action may not be changed after it is set, unless somehow the win condition is also changed.

EDIT: Oh wait. The rule that I was building on top of... No longer is accepted.

Gimme some time to make a suitable new rule then.

Edited by Drake Marshall

Hmmm... So my new rule.

I'm going to use this to test one little piece of one of the games I am signed up for, 'cuz why not.

There shall be a role named "paranoia."

They shall have an ability. Each night, they may choose to activate this ability, or not to do so.

When they activate this ability:

If they are attacked by anybody, they survive the attack(s), and execute an attack against every single attacker who attacked them.

If they are not attacked on that night, however, they die instead.

Hmmm, an idea I had for a slightly more cohesive concept, uniting the 'creation' and 'family' rules that have been put forward already. Note that this isn't my rule, though if multiple people agree on this concept, I'm definitely willing to provide one of the rules necessary to make it work.

Those of you that have ever looked into Greek/Norse/Egyption mythology know that the gods are basically one extended and rather messed-up family. The players in thyis game would basically be the combined gods of the pantheon, and would be working to create the universe. They would however be divided in a number of ideologically different groups (Good, Evil, Law and Chaos, for example). Each faction would be trying to shape the universe in a way that matches their ideology. At the same time, they'd also have to content with inter-god rivalries that transcend factions (such as the brothers rule suggested earlier).

What do people think of this idea?

edit: and yes, I know this is a rather vague framework, but it will allow for a more unified fluff of the various mechanics, if nothing else.

Edited by randuir

50 minutes ago, randuir said:

Hmmm, an idea I had for a slightly more cohesive concept, uniting the 'creation' and 'family' rules that have been put forward already. Note that this isn't my rule, though if multiple people agree on this concept, I'm definitely willing to provide one of the rules necessary to make it work.

Those of you that have ever looked into Greek/Norse/Egyption mythology know that the gods are basically one extended and rather messed-up family. The players in thyis game would basically be the combined gods of the pantheon, and would be working to create the universe. They would however be divided in a number of ideologically different groups (Good, Evil, Law and Chaos, for example). Each faction would be trying to shape the universe in a way that matches their ideology. At the same time, they'd also have to content with inter-god rivalries that transcend factions (such as the brothers rule suggested earlier).

What do people think of this idea?

edit: and yes, I know this is a rather vague framework, but it will allow for a more unified fluff of the various mechanics, if nothing else.

Incest is wincest 

@Clanky Your rule has multiple complex roles and so has been vetoed.

@Darkness Ascendant You better pick a max role because storms be damned I'm not doing it.  Also I would revise the Baker's death mechanic if I were you, it's a little overly fatal.

@DroughtBringer @Bartimaeus You currently do not have rules in place.

@Ecthelion III @Drake Marshall @Grumpy Dula You do not currently have character names.

That is all for this update.

I'm signing up as Fess.

I'm voted for 72 h cycles.

Rule: "No one can roleclaim(not applies to alignment(neutrals can't claim even alignment)(Not even hints about role)(No, you can't say your actions). You can't claim role nowhere nor in thread nor in PM nor in doc. Really nowhere, even elims don't know each others roles and can't claim(GMs can change this part if they decide that this hurts elims too much). If you somehow forgot and roleclaimed to someone then you instantly die and your items would be randomly given to people who have PM with you. Oh sorry almost forgot, you can reveal roles(alignments) of other people if you some kind of scan role, or you just can lie about someone's role(not yours role) if you want. After someone else said your role you can answer to them "No" or "Yes"(of course you can lie(if elims doing roleclaim like that(I mean they asking something like "Your role is extra life?" and other elim in doc answers "Yes" or "No") they lose ability to kill for 1 cycle for each person who claimed(Part with elims can be changed on "Someone who claimed can't use  abilities(can't use even faction kill, passive extra lifes also don't work) or items for 1 cycle"))."

This rule looks really horrible and should be vetoed, or changed on "everyone can claim roles only in rhymes(no less then 150 words)." :P

Or I just can create other rule...

Can I create roles instead of rules? :huh:

Edited by Arinian

6 minutes ago, Arinian said:

I'm signing up as Fess.

I'm voted for 72 h cycles.

Rule: "No one can roleclaim(not applies to alignment(neutrals can't claim even alignment)(Not even hints about role)(No, you can't say your actions). You can't claim role nowhere nor in thread nor in PM nor in doc. Really nowhere, even elims don't know each others roles and can't claim(GMs can change this part if they decide that this hurts elims too much). If you somehow forgot and roleclaimed to someone then you instantly die and your items would be randomly given to people who have PM with you. Oh sorry almost forgot, you can reveal roles(alignments) of other peoples if you some kind of scan role, or you just can lie about someone's role(not yours role) if you want. After someone else said your role you can answer to them "No" or "Yes"(of course you can lie(if elims doing roleclaim like that(I mean they asking something like "Your role is extra life?" and other elim in doc answers "Yes" or "No") they lose ability to kill for 1 cycle for each person who claimed(Part with elims can be changed on "Someone who claimed can't use  abilities(can't use even faction kill, passive extra lifes also don't work) or items for 1 cycle"))."

This rule looks really horrible and should be vetoed, or changed on "everyone can claim roles only in rhymes(no less then 150 words)." :P

Or I just can create other rule...

Can I create roles instead of rules? :huh:

Roles are rules, so yes, you can create them.

Also be very careful about creating post restrictions.

1 hour ago, AliasSheep said:

@Ecthelion III @Drake Marshall @Grumpy Dula You do not currently have character names.

Hmmm...

Beginning of everything, you say?

Ati. :lol: Best part is I even look like the description of Ati in the books.

2 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Roles are rules, so yes, you can create them.

Also be very careful about creating post restrictions. part is I even look like the description of Ati in the books.

I know, I know... post restrictions very dangerous :P. Also easy to miss some sneaky way to dodge rules like that.