[OB] Oathbringer Prologue now on Tor.com

KiManiak

Hoid isn't the only one who we haven't seen on the party. Mraize, Iyatil and Thaidakar haven't been seen either. 

20 hours ago, iamstick said:

I can't help but think that the Heralds have been up to something. That so many would show up to that night? Clearly, Gavilar isn't aware of that though. 

"I've seen how that can be reversed. A new storm that will bring the Heralds out of hiding”

Maybe Gavilar knew that the Heralds all hid in his palace. He knew for years, but was unable to find them. The frustration made him mad, which is why he wants to kick of Desolations.

Edited by Toaster Retribution

1 hour ago, maxal said:

Gavilar and Taravangian seems to adhere to the idea unity justifies all means.

For Gavilar, I agree. For Taravangian, unity is just a means of survival.

I don't think he would hesitate to create an enemy out of a nation if it served his purposes, but it doesn't. 

1 hour ago, maxal said:

I would argue the "I will not divide" part of the first oath should invalidate the imperative to unite at all costs.

For Dalinar I believe it would, but the Oaths are open to interpretation. 

We know that two Windrunners could interpret whether an oath is broken differently, so why should Bondsmiths be any different? 

Having been primed by the codes and the way of Kings (and his overwhelming guilt) I think Dalinar has landed at the "right" interpretation of Bondsmiths... But I think it's a mistake to assume that interpretation is required. 

13 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

What time (GMT) do the new chapters come out?

They are released at 00:01 or 12:01 am ET every Tuesday. So that should be 4:01 am GMT.

Edited by eveorjoy

1 hour ago, Flash said:

No adolin?! This is not the Maxal I know :P

Well... I know there aren't any Adolin viewpoints until Part 4, so I know what not to hope for ;) I can however hope either Shallan or Dalinar's viewpoint will momentarily show Adolin. I am not kidding myself, as far as we know, Adolin has a reduced role within this book. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

I wonder how long til our first flashback chapter. Im really looking forward to those. 

I already read the first four one: they are really good. I can't wait for the community to have read them. 

21 minutes ago, maxal said:

I already read the first four one: they are really good. I can't wait for the community to have read them. 

I only got to read - two of the four from The Thrill. Do we know for sure those are the first four? 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

I only got to read - two of the four from The Thrill. Do we know for sure those are the first four? 

Yes. Brandon said it was the first four and well, the timeline sort of makes them the first four ones. 

5 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Well okay then. I'll be surprised if we get more than the first two in book one. Oh well. 

Nah, I think we are getting the whole four of them. Remember, Oathbringer's part 1 is exceptionally long for a part 1... I'd be surprised not to get those four within the pre-released chapters, very surprised. Also, Brandon wrote something like 15 flashback chapters for Dalinar, chances of getting less than four within any given part is rather small.

3 minutes ago, maxal said:

Nah, I think we are getting the whole four of them. Remember, Oathbringer's part 1 is exceptionally long for a part 1... I'd be surprised not to get those four within the pre-released chapters, very surprised. Also, Brandon wrote something like 15 flashback chapters for Dalinar, chances of getting less than four within any given part is rather small.

15? Dang. That's more than I expected. 

36 minutes ago, maxal said:

And more than Brandon expected... He admitted having written more than he thought he would and justified by saying Dalinar had a long life.

Aren't some of the flashback characters in the back 5 going to be the heralds? The man who thinks that he is Taln, and the other female herald who destroys art (can't remember her name at the moment)? Aren't their lives much longer than Dalinar? How many chapters is it going to take to write their backstory? 

25 minutes to go!

Edited by zebobes