Different types of Aviar

King Cole

Also remember that the aviar all go to the same island in their life, the one Dusk is on. (I don’t remember the name) The hunters are also able to choose from a couple islands and from what I understand, not many choose to hunt on Dusk’s island because it is one of the most deadly. This information might be off a bit as I haven’t read Sixth of the Dusk in a while, but I’m excited for the sequel!

• 10 months later...
On 8/13/2019 at 4:00 PM, Ghanderflaffle said:

Also remember that the aviar all go to the same island in their life, the one Dusk is on. (I don’t remember the name) The hunters are also able to choose from a couple islands and from what I understand, not many choose to hunt on Dusk’s island because it is one of the most deadly. This information might be off a bit as I haven’t read Sixth of the Dusk in a while, but I’m excited for the sequel!

It's called Patji.

The the trappers don't all need to be on Patji because the Aviars choose to migrate there by instinct. Then, presumably, they fly back to one of the other islands in the pantheon. 

As for other types of Aviars, since their is one type that basically creates copperclouds, It would make sense of there is one that mimics the abilities of a seeker, so they could sense Investiture usage.

Now that I think of it, the device Vathi was using might have been a synthetic seeker device. More evidence for the ones above being Scadrian. But if they can already recreate allomancy, why do they need the Aviars? 

On 7/2/2020 at 6:31 AM, Kings_way said:

But if they can already recreate allomancy, why do they need the Aviars? 

Maybe they don’t. Now this is a random theory that just popped into my head, and I haven’t read 6th of the dusk in a long while, but I’m gonna see if I can make this make sense. 

What if the Scadrians (assuming the Ones Above are Scadrians) aren’t interested in the Aviar, what if they created them? The 2 types of Aviar we see both seem to be related to Allomancy. Copperclouds and Atium shadows. Maybe there are 14 other Aviar species that each kinda correlate to Allomantic powers. The Aviar and the symbiotic worms  could be some sort of experiment in creating synthetic biological Allomancy. 

19 hours ago, Danex said:

Maybe they don’t. Now this is a random theory that just popped into my head, and I haven’t read 6th of the dusk in a long while, but I’m gonna see if I can make this make sense. 

What if the Scadrians (assuming the Ones Above are Scadrians) aren’t interested in the Aviar, what if they created them? The 2 types of Aviar we see both seem to be related to Allomancy. Copperclouds and Atium shadows. Maybe there are 14 other Aviar species that each kinda correlate to Allomantic powers. The Aviar and the symbiotic worms  could be some sort of experiment in creating synthetic biological Allomancy. 

Neither the plot nor how Brandon talks about the Aviars give me that impression

Edited by R J
I don't know how the word "accursed" got there

2 hours ago, R J said:

Neither the plot nor how Brandon talks about Accursed Aviars give me that impression

¯\_()_/¯  it’s just a theory
I do like the idea of organic synthetic Allomancy though

Edit to avoid double posting because ima good forum boi: 

I found this WOB that at least proves I was thinking on the right lines.

Questioner

Sak, Dusk's non-native Aviar. That ability is very, very similar to Allomantic electrum.

Brandon Sanderson

It is!

Questioner

And his other Aviar is very, very similar to Allomantic copper.

Brandon Sanderson

It is.

Questioner

Is there a connection between those two, deeper? Or is it--

Brandon Sanderson

will RAFO that. Let's just say it is an intentional reference, but I'm not going to say whether it's a direct connection to Scadrial magic systems or more that fundamental rules of magics can reproduce one another. We have seen multiple instances of Lightweaving, so-- It's one of those two... That at least narrows it down for you.

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

“Intentional Reference”. I did jump right to the idea of atium instead of electrum, I dunno why, electrum makes a heck of a lot more sense. I love it when you find a WOB that exactly relates to what you were thinking, it’s fun to know that other people have made the same connections independently of each other. 

Edited by Danex

14 hours ago, Danex said:

The problems with that theory are manyfold:

1. The other animals know that Aviars block telepathy
  2. It would require the Aviars to have another origin than the other animals with arcane powers
  3. Mraize was suspected to have carried an aviar, hence the timing is impossible
  4. We have the information that no new Aviar have been discovered in centuries. When did that program begin?
  5. Mainland birds develop new powers
  6. Why multiple species with the same ability?

• 2 years later...

K, I recently reread Sixth of Dusk, and I've got some new ideas on what other aviars could do. As it's been previously said, most of their abilities seem to be cognitive or spiritual, so I'm operating on the assumption that all talents are like this (this assumption, as well as all my predictions, are probably going to be wrong but if you take enough blind stabs eventually you'll hit something). 

Also, the two abilities we've seen are similar to other abilities we see in allomancy. They operate slightly differently but I believe this could imply that other abilities from other magic systems could give us ideas of other aviar talents so I've gone through and compiled a short list of which powers I think aviars could potentially have.

Likely powers (talents based on what we saw in the short story)

Seeking- this has already been pointed out but many predators have the ability to sense their prey so maybe an aviar could do this too. Maybe they could even take it a step further and read people's mind? Or I could see a Sanderson twist where they can sense the main emotion someone is feeling.

Telepathy- If the mice have the ability to speak to Dusk then I'm sure some aviars can too. Maybe they could even extend this talent to their companions and allow them to communicate with others telepathically. Also, allomancer Jak met a bird who can talk apparently? Maybe that's another point of evidence for this ability.

Other potential powers based on feruchemy and allomancy

Copper- Feruchemists have the ability to store and retrieve memories. What if an aviar could do this as well? I think it'd be useful to have a bird who could scout ahead and literally show you what they saw. Then maybe their companion could do the same and show other people their memories.

Rioting and soothing- Maybe aviars could influence emotions? It seems similar enough to their mental abilities.

Luck- nothing much to say about this; I just feel like it'd be cool.

Wakefulness- I was going through the feruchemy powers and suddenly had the idea of an owl that allowed its companion to go without sleep for longer periods of time. I think it'd be funny.

Deconfirmed powers 

Tin- While it wasn't outright deconfirmed Dusk thought it unlikely that Vathi was able to hear the stream from so far away when she found his camp. This implies that there isn't an aviar that improves its companion's senses or at the very least it wasn't known at the time. 

Edited by Atlas333

• 1 month later...

I mean, since Mraize's Aviar is a bird of prey it's reasonably likely that it has the ability to sense prey, much like Nightmaws and Deepwalkers. As far as non-predatory Aviar go their abilities presumably would be themed around camouflage, detecting danger, rapid escape, or being unpleasant to eat or some combination of the above. 

A kind of shocking illusion in line with how peacocks use their tail or octopi use their ink as a distraction makes sense, or projecting pain or sleep or something more in line with the purpose of the toxins of a frog or spines of a hedgehog. The ability to sense intent, or to have a telepathic flock mind so they could easily set up a warning system like meerkats have. Temporal abilities to slow predators down, or even being able to shift into the shadesmar for brief periods would be the equivalent of say a pigeon making a quick get away or a mole hiding away in the ground.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, RaeTheRaven said:

Personally, I'm more inclined to think this similarity in abilities to some of the Allomantic powers reflects the deeper workings of the cosmere, rather than it having something to do with Scadrial. <details removed>

Even with a spoiler tag, the post would violate spoiler policy for this location tight now:

Spoiler policy:

Spoiler

Spoiler Period and Spoiler Period Lengths for Forums and Discord:

• Cosmere novels - six months
  • Cosmere everything else - three months

Forum

• Stick to the appropriate forum. Check forum board description if you are unsure.
    • Spoiler topics posted in non-spoiler forums must contain ‘Spoiler’ in the topic title.
  • New books can be discussed without spoiler tags in the dedicated new book subforum/area only. 
    • Topic titles should not contain spoilers 
    • You are strongly encouraged to post topics on new works in the new book subforum/area only. If you must reference something in a spoiler period outside those forums, you must spoiler tag it.

Secret Project 1 discussion

So, no data on that novel outside of its spoiler area for 6 months - thereafter, no spoiler tags needed in its dedicated section or the all Cosmere section; but spoiler tags required in all other sections.

Advanced posting basics:

Spoiler

At the bottom left of the post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit link. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • While in the post editer, use the "Eye" icon to make a spoiler section, Chain icon to make a hyperlink and close quote icon to make a quote section. 
    • Don't forget when making a Spoiler to mention the source from outside the spoiler (so they don't have to open it to find out the contents)
    • For a hyperlink, you can either highlight something you have already typed, then click the button - or - click the button and add the display text in the pop-up

18 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Even with a spoiler tag, the post would violate spoiler policy for this location tight now:

Spoiler policy:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler Period and Spoiler Period Lengths for Forums and Discord:

• Cosmere novels - six months
  • Cosmere everything else - three months

Forum

• Stick to the appropriate forum. Check forum board description if you are unsure.
    • Spoiler topics posted in non-spoiler forums must contain ‘Spoiler’ in the topic title.
  • New books can be discussed without spoiler tags in the dedicated new book subforum/area only. 
    • Topic titles should not contain spoilers 
    • You are strongly encouraged to post topics on new works in the new book subforum/area only. If you must reference something in a spoiler period outside those forums, you must spoiler tag it.

Secret Project 1 discussion

So, no data on that novel outside of its spoiler area for 6 months - thereafter, no spoiler tags needed in its dedicated section or the all Cosmere section; but spoiler tags required in all other sections.

Advanced posting basics:

Reveal hidden contents

At the bottom left of the post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit link. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • While in the post editer, use the "Eye" icon to make a spoiler section, Chain icon to make a hyperlink and close quote icon to make a quote section. 
    • Don't forget when making a Spoiler to mention the source from outside the spoiler (so they don't have to open it to find out the contents)
    • For a hyperlink, you can either highlight something you have already typed, then click the button - or - click the button and add the display text in the pop-up

Ah, I see. I had understood it as it needs to be put in spoiler tags for x amount of time outside of its spoiler forum. Thanks for clarifying. 

All the better that I didn't know how to do it then. :lol: should I edit my post to remove that reference completely? It doesn't to my mind spoil anything for ToES, but now im unsure. 

1 hour ago, RaeTheRaven said:

should I edit my post to remove that reference completely? It doesn't to my mind spoil anything for ToES, but now im unsure. 

It would be prudent; since, at the least, it tells people who have not read the work that portions of the work may apply to how Aviar powers work. . . 

Spoiler

I'm guessing you mean the Aviar Bond.