Wax and Wayne Names

Aciilnt Stormblessed

Does anybody know if there's any significance in the names of the main characters of Mistborn 2? I couldn't help thinking of waning and waxing moons but i couldn't think of any relevance to the story. I'm probably missing something really obvious here or Brandon's already answered this but i couldn't find anything. If anyone knows or has any theories I would love to hear them.

33 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Does Wayne mean anything in english? I know what Wax is, but I dont get Wayne? Can someone explain the pun?

Wax and Wayne (normally spelled wane), in English, are terms for when something increases or decreases, usually the moon cycle. When someone says 'it waxes and wanes' in real life, they mean it goes up and down in a cycle. It's not even really a relevent pun, its just bad wordplay.

6 minutes ago, Cowmanthethird said:

Wax and Wayne (normally spelled wane), in English, are terms for when something increases or decreases, usually the moon cycle. When someone says 'it waxes and wanes' in real life, they mean it goes up and down in a cycle. It's not even really a relevent pun, its just bad wordplay.

Thanks cowman! 

Even with no moon there would still be tidal forces caused by the local star, they just won't be as pronounced as tides on Earth. And there will still be currents produced by the combination of factors that cause them on our own planet (chiefly wind and the Coriolis force). Sailing and fishing would be affected by the reduced tides compared to what we're used to but it wouldn't be the end of the world, figuratively speaking.

• Chaos locked this topic