Harmony theory SPOILERS

AnonymousFan

Ok make sure you've read at least Wax and Wayne and Secret History before reading the spoiler because I'm not sure which novel it's from.

Spoiler

What if harmony has the power to make other people mistborn because Sazed holds the power of Ruin and Preservation. Let me explain.

As far as we know, Lerasi never granted anyone the power of allomancy. They had to burn a part of him for themselves. 

Accordinrg to my thread:

Te general consensus is that Atium in a way, reverses the effect of a metal, which makes sense because. (I just thought of it) Allomancy is of Preservation. So ruin is the opposite of that, meaning that a metal infused with atium to create an alloy, would essentially reverse it. Or flip it in regards to its temporal ability.

So when Ruin joined with Preservation, a Atium/Lerasium alloy, would create the allomantic ability to grant allomancy to other people.

4 minutes ago, AnonymousFan said:

As far as we know, Lerasi never granted anyone the power of allomancy.

I believe there is a WoB/annotation that says the Lord Ruler used the power of the Well (the shard of Preservation) to make himself a super strong Mistborn (even stronger than Elend, who gained Allomancy from a bead of Lerasium). I would venture a guess that Leras would generally refrain from granting people Allomantic powers because of his desire to preserve them in their natural state. Granting Allomancy would change them, no?

Personally, I would be interested to watch, from a distance, someone try to blend Atium and Lerasium. I think there would be a rather distinct "boom".

26 minutes ago, AnonymousFan said:

Ok make sure you've read at least Wax and Wayne and Secret History before reading the spoiler because I'm not sure which novel it's from.

Hide contents

What if harmony has the power to make other people mistborn because Sazed holds the power of Ruin and Preservation. Let me explain.

As far as we know, Lerasi never granted anyone the power of allomancy. They had to burn a part of him for themselves. 

Accordinrg to my thread:

Te general consensus is that Atium in a way, reverses the effect of a metal, which makes sense because. (I just thought of it) Allomancy is of Preservation. So ruin is the opposite of that, meaning that a metal infused with atium to create an alloy, would essentially reverse it. Or flip it in regards to its temporal ability.

So when Ruin joined with Preservation, a Atium/Lerasium alloy, would create the allomantic ability to grant allomancy to other people.

Umm, me thinks the answer is no. WE only know what it does in relation to malatium, which already has a temporal aeffect

12 minutes ago, King Cole said:

Umm, me thinks the answer is no. WE only know what it does in relation to malatium, which already has a temporal aeffect

We don't know what they do, and as nice and easy as the "flip" idea is, I doubt it's that simple. It just doesn't work for some metals. 

I think that will apply for ones that are already temporal in nature, but this WoB implies that all atium alloys are temporal in nature, which the flip idea doesn't account for. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=590#25

MARU NUI ()

What would an atium-electrum alloy do in Allomancy?

BRANDON SANDERSON ()

The alloys of atium have various temporal effects.

We know that this is not only possible, but that Sazed has already done so.  Spook was a Tineye prior to the events of HoA, and was made full mistborn by Sazed (at Kelsier's request).

However, I think it is pretty clear that Preservation could easily make people mistborn (or any misting) because the Shards almost certainly have the power to adjust people's spiritwebs.  The Lord Ruler did this (and more) while holding only a piece of the Shard.

As for your reasoning, I think that we have no reason to suspect that atium alloys do what you suggest.  By your logic, an atium/cadmium alloy would speed up time in the bubble, which is nonsensical.  I think it more likely that the atium alloys have their own grouping that parallels the base metals, all of which have temporal flavor.

It is worth noting that a much more sound line of reasoning would suggest that, like all known alloys of lerasium, the atium/lerasium alloy would create an atium misting.  This is by no means a concrete argument, given that lerasium is still surrounded in mystery.

Making people into mistborn is only a side effect of burning lerasium, as Brandon said in the annotations.  As we have pointed out, Preservation certainly has the ability to turn people into mistborn, as demonstrated by both the Lord Ruler and Sazed.

Also, we should not be so hasty as to assume that Preservation's intent (under any of its holders) would stay their hands.  There is a good argument to be made that making someone a mistborn/misting would drastically improve their chances of, say, surviving the events of the Final Empire.  As such, it would be in line with the Shard's intent to allow them to Preserve their own life.

On 8/16/2017 at 6:25 PM, FirstSelector said:

Also, we should not be so hasty as to assume that Preservation's intent (under any of its holders) would stay their hands.  There is a good argument to be made that making someone a mistborn/misting would drastically improve their chances of, say, surviving the events of the Final Empire.  As such, it would be in line with the Shard's intent to allow them to Preserve their own life.

It gets better.  As per the events of HoA, a part of Preservation's power, under Leras, actively made normal people mistings as part of his deliberate effort to preserve the planet and its people.

Pretty sure it is within Preservation's power to create Mistborn directly.  Probably not easy, but definitely possible.

On 8/16/2017 at 8:25 PM, FirstSelector said:

Making people into mistborn is only a side effect of burning lerasium, as Brandon said in the annotations.  As we have pointed out, Preservation certainly has the ability to turn people into mistborn, as demonstrated by both the Lord Ruler and Sazed.

It may be a side effect, but that is still significant in that a side effect of the power of preservation is the creation of a mistborn. I doubt that the singular  value of a single person preserved would in any way truly tip the scales and cause preservation to purposely change someone into a mistborn. @happyman's point about the mist I think proves the difficulty and possible reluctance of Leras to act considering that the mist randomly creating mistborn as a side effect rather than an automatic granting of power.

• Chaos locked this topic