Reflections of Vorinism and the Shades of the Knights Radiant

Pagerunner

As usual, you put things together spectacularly. 

I agree with everything. 

Additionally (and I believe @Extesian addressed this in a recent theory of his.) I think that Honor originally resided on Braize and was forced to come to Roshar were the desolations continued. 

In tWoK there is a discussion between Navani and Dalinar with Renarin present, when they discuss what the desolations were (this is the same scene that has the origin story of the Makabaki) and Navani says something along the lines of "Wars. Terrible wars. A continuation of the fighting that drove mankind - and the Heralds - from the Tranquiline Halls." 

3 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Which then devolved into just lighting them on fire, because people are perpetually unimaginative in all areas save methods of destruction.

Yes! Reading this post is like panning for gold, you just have to find the good parts among so... many... words... no disrespect, I think I'm going to have to reread this in the morning, but I picked this out of it, and it's just so accurate. I'm thinking I'll take it in sections, maybe that's the right strategy

Nice write-up as always @Pagerunner. This is essentially what I was trying to do in my previous, (inelegant theory) on this stuff – to flesh out Feather’s original idea. The reason my ‘theory’ turned so weird was that there were a few things I struggled to reconcile, and got caught up on them, and tried to do a realmatic explanation. Mine also mainly relied on WoBs, whereas yours mainly relies on textual references. So all in all, far better job than I did, very elegant. Main questions for me are:

Reconciling Desolations being caused by the existence of the Heralds on Roshar. Realmatically, and with respect to your theory, how does that fit in?

Nale’s statement that

“If the bonds between men and spren are reignited, then men will naturally discover the greater power of the Oaths. Without Honor to Regulate this, there is a small chance that what comes next will allow the Voidbringers to again make the jump between worlds. That would cause a Desolation, and even a small chance that the world will be destroyed is a risk that we cannot take.”

Sure, he’s mad and Ishar was wrong (it seems), but I still figure Nale must have enough sound realmatic knowledge for there to be some truth in that explanation. If so, any idea how to reconcile that or at least explain that?

A big issue for me is the Recreance. I could well be wrong, and many others have suggested that being forced to fight on Braize as Cognitive Shadows is the reason for it, but I can’t believe it. I can’t believe that every last Radiant would be so cowardly as to break their oaths and condemn their spren to eternal agony just out of fear for their own suffering. For me, the explanation must be that it was better for Roshar that they are no longer Radiants, not that it is better for them. More than that, if they already have said the 5 oaths and are sufficiently invested, why would breaking their oaths stop that destiny? With a couple of these questions it's really just me wanting to understand why and how Heralds come to Roshar and Radiants go to Braize.

But those questions notwithstanding (and they may be outside the scope of what you’ve done – if I’d left them outside the scope I may have had a workable theory!), I agree with almost everything you’ve said, including several new things I hadn’t considered before. Your reading of the first ideal is intriguing and I’m quite fond of it. I like your mention of Fleet and your explanation of bonding sentient splinters. I like your scene-setting with in-world references. I agree with you on glyphwards. All good food for thought. Cheers.

Edited by Extesian

A lot of points that I agree with wholeheartedly, and a lot that I have to think about some more. I really like the part about glyphwards, Khriss mentioned in the AU essay that fire behaves unusually because of the high-oxygen atmosphere. Maybe there is a realmatic significance as well. 

On creation of CS because of the Nahel bond, I like the idea and I agree something is going on, but how would this work for the spren? Returned give up their splinter when they heal someone, the investiture is presumably consumed so the Returned can no longer exist in the PR. A certain someone probably absorbed a tiny fraction of the Well. What happens to the spren if they are the cause of the creation of Radiant CS? These are self aware beings with thoughts and feelings afterall. Would it work like it does with the Stormfather, where the Shadow merges with the investiture of the spren? Does the spren sacrifice its investiture to ensure the Radiant is anchored in the CR? We know that a non Radiant surgebinder's death is a traumatic experience for the spren, but the spren is able to bond again. If a full Knight Radiant were to die, would the spren would go with the CR aspect of the Knight, anchor it somehow but survive? I do think the afterlife is messed up and the souls can't move on, but I'm not convinced that it's the spren that makes the Knight into a Shadow. 

What if it's the prolonged use of investiture combined with a powerful Connection to a Cognitive entity? The amounts of Stormlight we see Kaladin channel are not quite on the level of the Mists but as close as a regular individual is going to get. 

We know that Honorblades are dangerous because they use vast quantities of Stormlight inefficiently. The Nahel bond is supposed to protect the Radiant from those negative effects, but what if by doing so their soul is slowly permeated by investiture, transforming them into a Shadow over time? Maybe using an Honorblade does the same thing, but more quickly and more violently. The Heralds are already CS, maybe that was how they were made in the first place, and the spren accidentally copied that exact process. 

Edited by Ciridae
Sorry, thought this was cosmere

14 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

but how would this work for the spren?

Building on Pagerunners point on CS Vessels, it may be that full Radiants become a Vessel for their own Spren, combining together into some sort of single CS that has near unlimited access to their Surges.

A farmer would be able to wave his hand and create great fields of spiritual crops. A spearman would be a great warrior, able to cause thunder with his shield and lightning with his spear

Whether the Spren would be consumed in this process or just become a voice in their head or something, I can't say.

This is actually an interesting thought, have we ever seen two minds/souls/beings inhabit a single body? If your Fleet theory is right, is it Fleet being guided by a splinter of Honor (Like a standard Vessel and Shard) or were these two separate beings that fused together over time?

Eh.

Spren do not remain bonded after their Radiant dies. Therefore there is nothing Radiants remaind bound to.

if he dies, does that affect the spren?

Brandon Sanderson
Dying, as long as the oaths are not broken, does not affect the spren in a very terrible way. There are effects.
source

Question

After a spren has been bonded, what happens if the person it's bonded with dies?

Brandon Sanderson

It is an emotional event for the spren, but not a damaging one. As long as their oaths are unbroken.

Argent

Kind of like if a close friend dies?

Brandon Sanderson

Maybe a little more personal than that.
source

If the Radiants after death remained instead of moving Beyond they would know it very soon: after all, there are three orders capable of seeing into Shadesmar (and one of them can step fully into it).

The Cognitive Shadows on Braize are probably Heralds. Or something else. Khriss is just theorizing:

I believe it's possible some of these are actually Cognitive Shadows but research here is difficult and dangerous, so I will hold back on theorizing for the moment.

I am very much against that whole thing about Ishar making Oaths. It makes zero sense and that epigraph is talking about something else entirely:

9 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

But as for Ishi’Elin, his was the part most important at their inception; he readily understood the implications of Surges being granted to men, and caused organization to be thrust upon them; as having too great power, he let it be known that he would destroy each and every one, unless they agreed to be bound by precepts and laws.

is him just making organization. No more rogue Surgebinders scattered around the globe. Now we're making you into Orders with hierarchy so that you could operate more efficiently (many great warriors scattered around is nothing to be afraid of; but a military force? That's something very effective, as Romans and their legions taught us). Furthermore they agreed to be bound by external laws - so that they are not above the laws of other kingdoms.

In fact, I don’t believe there is any fundamental difference between a bond between a Radiant and their spren, and what we’ve seen in Elantris with the seons:

Q: How important are Bonds like the Nahel Bond and a Seon bond in the Cosmere?

A: I'd say very important.

Q: Is this kind of bond relatively common or is what seons, spren, and night blood do little more rare among splinters. I'm specifically talking about the act of making bonds not a giving of magic powers really, that appearing to be function of Roshar.

A: The bonding is basically the same mechanic, regardless of the world, just with different flavoring. Roshar isn't the only place where the bond gives powers; it's a matter of what's stuffed into the soul, and how.

Source.

Seons, Splinters of Devotion from Elantris, can grant powers if they go to Roshar.

those bolded sentences mean very different things.

The thing is, the Radiant spren are a mixture of Honor (oaths/bonds) and Cultivation (symbiosis). Therefore bonding such entity has different effects than bonding a splinter of Devotion or Endowment. And that's why Rosharan splinters do grant powers while others, like Seons, do not.

Unless brought to Roshar and some tempering with the magic. At this point I want to remind that the "Nightblood grants Surges" thing is just a theory.

For another place with bonds granting the powers look at First of the Sun.

Therefore I find all of this very unlikely.

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

Spren do not remain bonded after their Radiant dies. Therefore there is nothing Radiants remaind bound to.

Take a close look at the quotes you provided. Neither says that the bond ends with the Radiant's death, just that the the spren is not damaged (read: death of the spren, like a broken Oath creating a Shardblade).

If the Radiants after death remained instead of moving Beyond they would know it very soon: after all, there are three orders capable of seeing into Shadesmar (and one of them can step fully into it).

The Cognitive Shadows on Braize are probably Heralds. Or something else. Khriss is just theorizing:

The Radiants were active in the Rosharan Cognitive Realm, but I do not believe they went to Braize's Cognitive Realm, which is a dangerous place to be. If Radiant Shades are indeed called Braize (see the trumpet quote and explanation above), then I think it would be possible for the Radiants to be unaware of their fates.

Khriss cannot be referring to the Heralds, since there was only one of them on Braize at the time the essays were written. If there are not Cognitive Shadows of some kind on Braize, then from a metatextual perspective the line is misdirection on Brandon's part. Which is possible, but it's a misdirection I would be content to fooled by. Assuming that there are indeed Cognitive Shadows on Braize, I have no other candidates for these Shadows (other than the Shades already referenced multiple times in the text).

I am very much against that whole thing about Ishar making Oaths. It makes zero sense and that epigraph is talking about something else entirely:

is him just making organization. No more rogue Surgebinders scattered around the globe. Now we're making you into Orders with hierarchy so that you could operate more efficiently (many great warriors scattered around is nothing to be afraid of; but a military force? That's something very effective, as Romans and their legions taught us). Furthermore they agreed to be bound by external laws - so that they are not above the laws of other kingdoms.

There's not much I can say to this point, since neither of our interpretations are inconsistent with the text. But the explanation that the Radiants were just organized Surgebinders has never sat well with me, because not all Radiant orders were all that organized. (I believe the Willshapers were the given example of individualistic Radiants.) I think there are aspects of Radiance that are beyond just Surgebinding (Shardplate being the most obvious), which is why I've begun to look at this quote differently.

those bolded sentences mean very different things.

The thing is, the Radiant spren are a mixture of Honor (oaths/bonds) and Cultivation (symbiosis). Therefore bonding such entity has different effects than bonding a splinter of Devotion or Endowment. And that's why Rosharan splinters do grant powers while others, like Seons, do not.

Unless brought to Roshar and some tempering with the magic. At this point I want to remind that the "Nightblood grants Surges" thing is just a theory.

For another place with bonds granting the powers look at First of the Sun.

Nightblood granting powers is a theory. Seons, on the other hand, are confirmed:

Outis

If an Elantrian bonded to a Seon and traveled to Roshar, would that act as a Nahel bond?

Brandon Sanderson

It would act very very similarly, yes. But it would be like… it wouldn't necesarily do the exact same things. It would be treated the exact same way, but wouldn't grant the same powers.

Source.

They grant different powers, but they do grant powers. (I can see ways to interpret the final phrase 'the same power' to mean that they don't grant powers on Roshar, but then I don't know what it would mean to be 'treated the exact same way,' so I say that the phrase needs to be understood as "they grant different powers."

As an aside, I do not believe the First of the Sun magic operates using bonds. Aviar like Kokerlii create a 'coppercloud' (or something similar) that protect multiple people, and Sak gives visions to Vathi on Dusk's command after landing on her.

The part I don't get is this:

If the theory is that Ishar implemented the oaths to restrain the radiants, why do spren die when radiants break the oaths? This theory suggests that the oaths were an arrangement between the heralds and radiants, while the evidence we see in world is that the oaths are a relationship between radiants and spren. We haven't seen anything that suggests the heralds have any power over spren. If the suggestion is that Ishar fundamentally added those consequences, well, that would be a level of power we haven't seen from any non-shard.

Mistborn spoiler

Spoiler

Even TLR didn't (or couldn't) change the magic system. Even Harmony only made very minor changes to the magic system that may not have even been purposefully intended.

There is also the issue of the exact wording of the oaths not mattering and being an outgrowing of the Spren.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1158#25

BLIGHTSONG

Were the oaths of the Knights radiant consciously chosen, or did they happen naturally.

BRANDON SANDERSON

*apprehension*. This is one of those vague ones in that yes and no. They are a natural outgrowth of the spren, but the spren are a natural outgrowth of human's perception of natural forces, but the spren are sentient, so I would say it's a little more by instinct than not. For example to Knights Radiant in the same order might speak the words differently, but the concept is the same. You will see this happen in a future book, where a Windrunner will speak the oaths. It's a slightly different take on the same concept. Some are moreso, like Shallan's oaths are very individualized truths, so.

So if the exact words don't matter but the ideas do, that makes it difficult to trick radiants into making oaths they don't understand. It's not enough for the oaths to just be spoken, they have to also communicate the concept. None of the radiants would have communicated a commitment to eternal damnation, so the oaths wouldn't be binding. Spren are about ideas and thoughts being of the cognitive realm, the words are just a vehicle for communicating it.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1083#5

JEREMY

Is the order of the Ideals fixed? E.g. does Kaladin have to say the Windrunner Ideals in a specific order, or are they situation-specific?

BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)

Yes, the sequence is fixed. The oaths for each order are essentially a progression of understanding of the kind of person that each Order of Knights Radiant is trying to produce. The specific wording of each Ideal is not fixed, but the overall idea of each Ideal, and the order in which they are spoken, is.

@aemetha everything you've just said is true. The one place that I felt unsure on this is the addition of the Oaths, but I didn't have the words to express it and @Oversleep did a pretty good job of that. 

4 minutes ago, aemetha said:

So if the exact words don't matter but the ideas do, that makes it difficult to trick radiants into making oaths they don't understand. It's not enough for the oaths to just be spoken, they have to also communicate the concept. None of the radiants would have communicated a commitment to eternal damnation, so the oaths wouldn't be binding. Spren are about ideas and thoughts being of the cognitive realm, the words are just a vehicle for communicating it.

What you say here does not apply to the first oath. That ideal is the same across the board. The Spren bonded humans in imitation of the Honorblades, which were a part of the Oathpact. 

All of the Oaths save that one are individualized and rely on the intent of the speaker. 

We've already seen Radiants question the meaning of the first oath after they've said it. The first oath is the key here, and they could very well be entering into something they don't understand. 

Take a close look at the quotes you provided. Neither says that the bond ends with the Radiant's death, just that the the spren is not damaged (read: death of the spren, like a broken Oath creating a Shardblade).

I'll look if we have any WoB on that but please take a look at Stormfather. If spren merged with their Radiants he would be gone by now, even if you pull "he's a big spren and they could just take pieces". There were multiple Bondsmiths in history.

The Radiants were active in the Rosharan Cognitive Realm, but I do not believe they went to Braize's Cognitive Realm, which is a dangerous place to be. If Radiant Shades are indeed called Braize (see the trumpet quote and explanation above), then I think it would be possible for the Radiants to be unaware of their fates.

I mean, they would know how death normally looks like (stretching into Beyond) and that it doesn't happen with Radiants.

Khriss cannot be referring to the Heralds, since there was only one of them on Braize at the time the essays were written. If there are not Cognitive Shadows of some kind on Braize, then from a metatextual perspective the line is misdirection on Brandon's part. Which is possible, but it's a misdirection I would be content to fooled by. Assuming that there are indeed Cognitive Shadows on Braize, I have no other candidates for these Shadows (other than the Shades already referenced multiple times in the text).

We're latching too much one a single sentence of theorizing Khriss does. Even when she states things she have been wrong before and here she's just theorizing (which is a thing scholars do).

There's not much I can say to this point, since neither of our interpretations are inconsistent with the text. But the explanation that the Radiants were just organized Surgebinders has never sat well with me, because not all Radiant orders were all that organized. (I believe the Willshapers were the given example of individualistic Radiants.)

And the explanation that a human could just rewrite how magic works when even Shards have limited ability to make changes in their magic (and that was a planet which was made by them and they had more leeway) has never made any sense to me.

(Mistborn Era Two)

Spoiler

Even Harmony with all his power on an engineered world could not get rid of Snapping. He managed to lower the threshold but not get rid of it.

I just don't buy that anyone - not even Honor and Cultivation themselves - could make such big changes in the magic.

And one can be individualistic and still take orders. They're not anarchists.

I think there are aspects of Radiance that are beyond just Surgebinding (Shardplate being the most obvious), which is why I've begun to look at this quote differently.

What? What is "obvious" about Shardplate? What are you talking about?

Seons, on the other hand, are confirmed

That WoB has been interpreted in a million different ways and has been a source of many big arguments. I refuse to simply go with the "seons grant powers on Roshar" thing, I have been burned by that before.

As an aside, I do not believe the First of the Sun magic operates using bonds.

Don't believe then. Check the postscriptum in Arcanum Unbounded. When working on First of the Sun Brandon has been interested by "a symbiosis (of new kind) for Investiture". Yep. Symbiosis. Just like Roshar.

Edited by Oversleep

Mhm @Oversleep I don’t think there’s a real suggestion that a Herald rewrote the magic system. The magic system is based on Honor. Honor is (probably) based on basically doing what you’ll say you’ll do, at the very least. I think Ishar basically got the spren and the Radiants (or one, doesn’t really matter) to agree to be bound, and that agreement was then magically enforced. This is also consistent with the spren referring to prohibitions on giving proto-Radiants too much information (e.g. just telling them the Oaths, or telling them they can be a Shardblade). It’s not changing the system. It’s creating binding oaths within the system.

Nale says that without Honor around to regulate the Oaths, men could discover the greater power of them. Whether or not he’s right, maybe this is evidence for this form of magically enforced bond. Tanavast was able to actually enforce the agreement pushed by Ishar. The worry is that now Tanavast is gone, and no intelligence is controlling Honor, those Oaths are no longer magically enforced.

On this one, I’ve got @Pagerunner's back. It may be wrong but I think it’s far more plausible than some are suggesting.

Edit - one addition though. I don't agree necessarily that just saying the 5 oaths is what makes a Radiant a Cognitive Shadow after death. I don't believe the bond stays with the Radiant, I don't think it matters. I think it's a simple matter of how much kinetic investiture they use. A full Radiant doing their thing for years will be so invested, not from the bond, but from the kinetic investiture flowing through them, that, possibly combined with some additional mechanism that then prevents them from going to the Beyond, they become Cognitive Shadows.

Edited by Extesian

@Calderis I can follow that part about the first oath originating from the imitation of the spren bond. How is the oath enforced though? Spren won't hold them to an oath they didn't understand because its not the idea they communicated. Honor can't enforce it, he's dead. The heralds have no interest in enforcing it. It's not really consistent with the shardic intent of cultivation. Odium is trapped. I don't see how a residual effect of Honor could enforce it because such things rely on intentions. Now admittedly many of these arguments are new to Roshar since the last desolation, but a part of this discussion is about the broader implications for the future of the radiants. What need they fear about a misleading oath that can no longer be enforced?

1 minute ago, aemetha said:

@Calderis I can follow that part about the first oath originating from the imitation of the spren bond. How is the oath enforced though? Spren won't hold them to an oath they didn't understand because its not the idea they communicated. Honor can't enforce it, he's dead. The heralds have no interest in enforcing it. It's not really consistent with the shardic intent of cultivation. Odium is trapped. I don't see how a residual effect of Honor could enforce it because such things rely on intentions. Now admittedly many of these arguments are new to Roshar since the last desolation, but a part of this discussion is about the broader implications for the future of the radiants. What need they fear about a misleading oath that can no longer be enforced?

I don't think it needs a Shard to enforce it. I think by mimicking the Honorblades in creating the bond the enforcement is an inherent part of the system. 

The Nahel bond itself is established with the first oath. Advancement within the order requires intent, and draws a Radiant deeper in, but the first oath plants the seed within the soul that the all consecutive oaths serve to nurture. 

If the Honorblades, and consequently the Oathpact, are the basis of the Nahel bond, the bond itself requires adherence to the first oath. 

I have a question about whether or not it's likely that there used to be a multitude of Radiants surviving in the Cognitive Realm before the Recreance without someone like Khriss knowing about it. I'm not sure exactly where White Sand is on the timeline, I just know it happens early on. If Khriss was around at Silverlight studying the Cognitive Realm before the Recreance, isn't it likely she would have known about the presence of a bunch of Radiants' Cognitive Shadows around Roshar? I feel like that would have been a decently important piece of information to mention in her AU essay on the Rosharian system. 

I mean there's the possibility nothing like that has been mentioned simply for spoiler purposes. I'm just spitballing about how plausible a large presence of Radiants fighting a war in the Cognitive Realm really is. 

Isn't the point that the shades of the Radiants are Cognitive Shadows that fight in the Physical Realm of Braize? I'm not sure why anyone would know about that from the Cognitive Realm of Roshar.

I'm not saying I'm sold on this, but just that these objections to noone knowing sure sure wouldn't apply without someone really getting to know Braize, which sounds like a dangerous prospect. 

16 hours ago, Extesian said:

Reconciling Desolations being caused by the existence of the Heralds on Roshar. Realmatically, and with respect to your theory, how does that fit in?

Nale’s statement that

Sure, he’s mad and Ishar was wrong (it seems), but I still figure Nale must have enough sound realmatic knowledge for there to be some truth in that explanation. If so, any idea how to reconcile that or at least explain that?

I do not think Ishar was merely wrong - I think he was lying. I don't think the Radiants' return causes desolations, I think Ishar's madness is causing him to 'make good' on his threat to destroy the Orders, though deceiving Nale and the Skybreakers.

16 hours ago, Extesian said:

A big issue for me is the Recreance. I could well be wrong, and many others have suggested that being forced to fight on Braize as Cognitive Shadows is the reason for it, but I can’t believe it. I can’t believe that every last Radiant would be so cowardly as to break their oaths and condemn their spren to eternal agony just out of fear for their own suffering. For me, the explanation must be that it was better for Roshar that they are no longer Radiants, not that it is better for them. More than that, if they already have said the 5 oaths and are sufficiently invested, why would breaking their oaths stop that destiny? With a couple of these questions it's really just me wanting to understand why and how Heralds come to Roshar and Radiants go to Braize.

The diagram's reference to the 'secret that broke the Knights Radiant' makes me think the betrayal was indeed genuine, that the secret was so powerful it broke the Radiants wills, and they broke their Oaths. 

For Cognitive Shadows, the ones on Nalthis need to remain connected to their initial source of Investiture (giving up the Divine Breath kills them), while in the example seen on Scadrial the Shadow persisted after the initial Investiture had disappeared. I think Radiant Shades are more like the former; if they do not have that bond at the moment of death, they will not persist as Radiants.

13 hours ago, Ciridae said:

On creation of CS because of the Nahel bond, I like the idea and I agree something is going on, but how would this work for the spren? Returned give up their splinter when they heal someone, the investiture is presumably consumed so the Returned can no longer exist in the PR.  What happens to the spren if they are the cause of the creation of Radiant CS? These are self aware beings with thoughts and feelings afterall. Would it work like it does with the Stormfather, where the Shadow merges with the investiture of the spren? Does the spren sacrifice its investiture to ensure the Radiant is anchored in the CR? We know that a non Radiant surgebinder's death is a traumatic experience for the spren, but the spren is able to bond again. If a full Knight Radiant were to die, would the spren would go with the CR aspect of the Knight, anchor it somehow but survive? I do think the afterlife is messed up and the souls can't move on, but I'm not convinced that it's the spren that makes the Knight into a Shadow.

Bonds are not limited by geography; they occur in the Spiritual Realm. Seons in Elantris can travel away from who they are bonded to; I believe the spren can remain on Roshar and still be connected Spiritually to the Radiant over on Braize. The connection between Honor's Cognitive Shadow and the Stormfather is unique: Tanavast persisted because he was a Sliver, and the Stormfather already existed, and the two merged. I strenuously disagree with the merger of an individual and a piece of Investiture to create a Cognitive Shadow, instead holding the interpretation that the Investiture acts as an anchor, mainly because of what we saw in Mistborn.

12 hours ago, overlordjebus said:

This is actually an interesting thought, have we ever seen two minds/souls/beings inhabit a single body? If your Fleet theory is right, is it Fleet being guided by a splinter of Honor (Like a standard Vessel and Shard) or were these two separate beings that fused together over time?

I don't think the Stormfather existed before Fleet. I think the Storm was a Splinter, plenty of Investiture, but no mind guiding it. Fleet, after his death, Ascended to that Splinter, becoming the Stormfather. The only mind in there is Fleet's. (Well, until he absorbed Tanavast.)

1 hour ago, aemetha said:

If the theory is that Ishar implemented the oaths to restrain the radiants, why do spren die when radiants break the oaths? This theory suggests that the oaths were an arrangement between the heralds and radiants, while the evidence we see in world is that the oaths are a relationship between radiants and spren. We haven't seen anything that suggests the heralds have any power over spren. If the suggestion is that Ishar fundamentally added those consequences, well, that would be a level of power we haven't seen from any non-shard.

I say the Oaths are between a Radiant and a Spren, but with Ishar acting as the 'lawyer' who has set up the contract. The only other place I see a hint of this sort of power comes in the epigraph where it talks about Melishi (who I think is Mel'Ishi, or Ishar) coming up with a plan to use the Bondsmith's unique abilities to destroy the Voidbringers. I don't think this is fighting - I think this is being able to fundamentally alter the protocol of bonding, preventing Listeners from bonding spren at all and trapping them in slaveform.

There is also the issue of the exact wording of the oaths not mattering and being an outgrowing of the Spren.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1158#25

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1083#5

I think, as Calderis said, the First Oath is fundamentally different than the other four Oaths. Its wording is particular and well-known: the other four Oaths are secrets intuited by the Radiants as they developed the relationship with their spren (which is why the Oaths vary from Order to Order, because the spren are different for each Order). It is an important part of my interpretation, but one that I had neglected to spell out explicitly in my original post.

I'll look if we have any WoB on that but please take a look at Stormfather. If spren merged with their Radiants he would be gone by now, even if you pull "he's a big spren and they could just take pieces". There were multiple Bondsmiths in history.

I addressed a similar concern above; I do not believe that a Cognitive Shadow is a piece of Investiture merged with an individual, but an individual anchored by Investiture. Stormfather, and other spren like Syl who have bonded Radiants in the past, can serve as anchors to more than one soul over the course of time.

I mean, they would know how death normally looks like (stretching into Beyond) and that it doesn't happen with Radiants.

I'm not sure they would. When Lift (who is able to see somewhat into the Cognitive Realm) watches Nalan kill a girl in Edgedancer, Lift sees something very reminiscent of Szeth's afterimages:

For a moment it seemed to be working. She saw something, a luminescence in the shape of a figure. It vibrated around the corpse, quivering. Then it puffed away, and the body remained on the ground, immobile, eyes burned.

It appears to be her soul, which is there for a moment, and then disappears. Not unlike what a Radiants might do if they were called to Braize, or something shown in Bands of Mourning:

Spoiler

While speaking with Harmony, Wax initially appears in the misty Scadrian Cognitive Realm, but then there is a "blurring," and he and Harmony are speaking somewhere else. It may be a teleportation of sorts, Harmony moving Wax's soul somewhere else to create the representation of the world and the red cloud.

I'm not sure everyone can see the pull of the Beyond, unless maybe they are experiencing it themselves. We only have one extended Point of View of the Cognitive Realm, and I'm not sure that experience is necessarily indicative of the general experience. I'm also confused about why people can only see some things when they enter to Soulcast: Jasnah didn't know what fearspren looked like on the other side (the grinders), but there were fearspren when she executed the muggers in Kharbranth, so why didn't she see grinders then?

All that to say, I don't think we have the workings of the Cognitive Realm anywhere close to figured out. It's possible that it's as simple as 'everyone sees the same thing while they're there.' But I don't think we've seen enough of it yet to definitively say what Radiants would and would not have seen.

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

And the explanation that a human could just rewrite how magic works when even Shards have limited ability to make changes in their magic (and that was a planet which was made by them and they had more leeway) has never made any sense to me.

(Mistborn Era Two)

Reveal hidden contents

Even Harmony with all his power on an engineered world could not get rid of Snapping. He managed to lower the threshold but not get rid of it.

I just don't buy that anyone - not even Honor and Cultivation themselves - could make such big changes in the magic.

Not just any human - a Bondsmith, or the Herald who served as a template for the Bondsmiths. Look at names of the other Orders: Windrunners Run in the Wind. Lightweavers can Weave Light. If anyone would have the ability to restrict bonds, it would be the Bondsmiths. I don't believe an increase in bonding requirements would be that different than the Mistborn example you stated, just in reverse. The Surges haven't changed, the Initiation of attracting a spren hasn't become something different. It has just made it more difficult to occur.

What? What is "obvious" about Shardplate? What are you talking about?

Just that Shardplate is not a Surge. The historical pre-Radiants were Surgebinders: they had the ability to control the ten fundamental forces, as perceived by Rosharans. But did they have Plate? Did they have squires? There needs to be a separate mechanism for these parts of Radiancy that are not Surgebinding - when was it established? Don't get too hung up on this idea - they are questions that pointed me in the direction of intervention in the magical structure of the Radiants, not assertions that they are the only possible explanation.

Don't believe then. Check the postscriptum in Arcanum Unbounded. When working on First of the Sun Brandon has been interested by "a symbiosis (of new kind) for Investiture". Yep. Symbiosis. Just like Roshar.

Our brainstorming session on air wasn't specifically for a Cosmere story, but as I worked on the outline, I was intrigued by the idea of using symbiosis (in a new way) for a Cosmere Investiture.

Yes, there is a symbiosis in Sixth of the Dusk, but it is unlike Roshar's:

Spoiler

A physical symbiosis between a bird, and a grub that has consumed liquid Investiture from the Shardpool there. There is no interaction with a Splinter, the way it occurs on Roshar. There's a symbiosis between bird and grub, but there cannot be a bond between them like a seon bond, because both of them are physical creatures.

The word is the same, but the Realmatics of each situation are very different.

I can follow that part about the first oath originating from the imitation of the spren bond. How is the oath enforced though? Spren won't hold them to an oath they didn't understand because its not the idea they communicated. Honor can't enforce it, he's dead. The heralds have no interest in enforcing it. It's not really consistent with the shardic intent of cultivation. Odium is trapped. I don't see how a residual effect of Honor could enforce it because such things rely on intentions. Now admittedly many of these arguments are new to Roshar since the last desolation, but a part of this discussion is about the broader implications for the future of the radiants. What need they fear about a misleading oath that can no longer be enforced?

Think of an oath as a contract. Once the terms are broken, the contract is void. We see this happen exactly in Words of Radiance: Kaladin reneges on his vow to protect by promising to help kill Elhokar, so his bond with Syl is broken. It is something inherent to the bond itself; it doesn't mean that "Honor will break your bond with your spren if you go back on your word," your continued upholding of the Oath is a requirement for the bond to continue in the first place. So no enforcement required.

24 minutes ago, Andy92 said:

I have a question about whether or not it's likely that there used to be a multitude of Radiants surviving in the Cognitive Realm before the Recreance without someone like Khriss knowing about it. I'm not sure exactly where White Sand is on the timeline, I just know it happens early on. If Khriss was around at Silverlight studying the Cognitive Realm before the Recreance, isn't it likely she would have known about the presence of a bunch of Radiants' Cognitive Shadows around Roshar? I feel like that would have been a decently important piece of information to mention in her AU essay on the Rosharian system. 

I mean there's the possibility nothing like that has been mentioned simply for spoiler purposes. I'm just spitballing about how plausible a large presence of Radiants fighting a war in the Cognitive Realm really is. 

She says to avoid Braize, which is where I think the Radiant Shades actually are. Metatextually, Khriss probably does know many things which would be drastic revelations for future stories for Mistborn, Stormlight, Elantris, and the like. But Brandon will carefully write the essays to preserve those mysteries. She does actually mention the possible presence of Cognitive Shadows on Braize, but doesn't explain at all why she thinks they are Cognitive Shadows, so there are pieces of information that Brandon is keeping hidden.

Excellent points all around. But a word of caution, I did intentionally post this in the Stormlight subforum, not Cosmere Theories. I have linked to this thread from other sundry corners of the internet and indicated that it only contains Stormlight spoilers, so let's be sure to hide any specific plot points from other cosmere stories. (Specifically, @Ciridae, you probably want to avoid using a particular name out in the open.)

13 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I'm not sure everyone can see the pull of the Beyond, unless maybe they are experiencing it themselves. We only have one extended Point of View of the Cognitive Realm, and I'm not sure that experience is necessarily indicative of the general experience. I'm also confused about why people can only see some things when they enter to Soulcast: Jasnah didn't know what fearspren looked like on the other side (the grinders), but there were fearspren when she executed the muggers in Kharbranth, so why didn't she see grinders then?

I think that the example of the grinders is an oversight due to the Jasnah PoV excerpt we have being Non-Canon (at least I thought so). 

Lift is partially in the Cognitive Realm and can't see more than an after image with Szeth, whose soul is imperfectly attached to his physical body. In the case of the girl though, she doesn't see the soul between the point that the girl dies, and the quote you have where she attempts to heal her. 

If she had been fully in the Cognitive realm, like an Elsecaller or Willshaper can achieve via Transportation, she should have been able to see the Cognitive aspect arise and stretch away. 

Being partially there, like Lift or a soulcasting may not be enough, but we know that Elsecallers can definitely enter fully so at least one order should have at some point witnessed a Radiants death being different than a normal person, unless something is interfering with all deaths on Roshar. 

16 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Bonds are not limited by geography; they occur in the Spiritual Realm. Seons in Elantris can travel away from who they are bonded to; I believe the spren can remain on Roshar and still be connected Spiritually to the Radiant over on Braize. The connection between Honor's Cognitive Shadow and the Stormfather is unique: Tanavast persisted because he was a Sliver, and the Stormfather already existed, and the two merged.

Nope. They are limited by distance.

Question

Does the spren have to be present for a Surgebinder to have their abilities? Because with Dalinar, the Stormfather wont be around all the time...

Brandon Sanderson

Good Question! Fortunately, the Stormfather is a little more omnipresent. Normally youre gonna have to have your spren close, but the Stormfather absorbed... is basically Honors cognitive shadow, which means hes got a connection to a lot of different things, so hes not bound by a lot of the rules that others are.

Also:

19 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I strenuously disagree with the merger of an individual and a piece of Investiture to create a Cognitive Shadow, instead holding the interpretation that the Investiture acts as an anchor, mainly because of what we saw in Mistborn.

Brandon has refered to Cognitive Shadows as beings of pure Investiture or talked about existing through Investiture and things like that. You can still disagree of course but I'll take Brandon's word on that one :P

22 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Not just any human - a Bondsmith, or the Herald who served as a template for the Bondsmiths. Look at names of the other Orders: Windrunners Run in the Wind. Lightweavers can Weave Light. If anyone would have the ability to restrict bonds, it would be the Bondsmiths. I don't believe an increase in bonding requirements would be that different than the Mistborn example you stated, just in reverse. The Surges haven't changed, the Initiation of attracting a spren hasn't become something different. It has just made it more difficult to occur.

Willshapers shape will, Stonewardens keep watch of rocks, Edgedancers dance on the edges... the names are poetic, Bondsmiths unite and bring people together, one of their Surges makes things stick to each other. I think you're reading a bit too much into those names.

Still, I don't believe a Shard could make such a major change to the magic system (we'll have to disagree on whether it's big change or not but it's not me who is arguing those Oaths condemn everyone to eternal suffering...) on a world they did not create, much less a human, no matter how experienced and special he is.

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

She says to avoid Braize, which is where I think the Radiant Shades actually are. Metatextually, Khriss probably does know many things which would be drastic revelations for future stories for Mistborn, Stormlight, Elantris, and the like. But Brandon will carefully write the essays to preserve those mysteries. She does actually mention the possible presence of Cognitive Shadows on Braize, but doesn't explain at all why she thinks they are Cognitive Shadows, so there are pieces of information that Brandon is keeping hidden.

I got my copy of AU out and I see what you mean. It's pretty well a definite that Braize has Splinters, and she has a hunch some of them are really Cognitive Shadows. So I guess her research is simply limited due to the danger of Braize in general. 

I would be interested in knowing the timeline of when these essays were written in comparison to the stories in the books. That answer might be out there somewhere, but I'm not aware off the top of my head. 

1 minute ago, Andy92 said:

I got my copy of AU out and I see what you mean. It's pretty well a definite that Braize has Splinters, and she has a hunch some of them are really Cognitive Shadows. So I guess her research is simply limited due to the danger of Braize in general. 

I would be interested in knowing the timeline of when these essays were written in comparison to the stories in the books. That answer might be out there somewhere, but I'm not aware off the top of my head. 

The Scadrian essay gives a clue. 

Spoiler

The current orbit is the restores one, which means the essays are after Hero of Ages. That is around 300 years before Way of Kings.

I believe the spren can remain on Roshar and still be connected Spiritually to the Radiant over on Braize. The connection between Honor's Cognitive Shadow and the Stormfather is unique: Tanavast persisted because he was a Sliver, and the Stormfather already existed, and the two merged. I strenuously disagree with the merger of an individual and a piece of Investiture to create a Cognitive Shadow, instead holding the interpretation that the Investiture acts as an anchor, mainly because of what we saw in Mistborn.

Ah ok I see. But spren bond more than one individual over the course of their existence, would that imply that there are multiple ghost-radiants for each spren? Plus in some cases a live surgebinder? Seems an awful lot of stuff for one spren to be holding on to. I don't know if your average nahel spren has enough investiture to make several radiant Shadows. Simple Connection as a means of keeping them around seems too little to me, I agree with Extesian that it's the incredible amounts of kinetic investiture that turns them into CSs. It just feels simpler. As I understand it that's what happened 

Spoiler

to Kelsier in SH, but quicker because the investiture was far more abundant and concentrated.

This WoB is a big part of why I think the stormlight causes them the become CS instead of the spren:

Q: You’ve said that Returned count as Cognitive shadows “stapled” back into their bodies, and that the Heralds are at least similar. Would I be right in assuming that Elantrians could be considered as Cognitive Shadows as well, or am I barking up the wrong tree? 

A: Elantrians are something different. They don’t actually “die” to be created. 

Recognize that the term cognitive shadow is an in-cosmere theory, which I’m not going to comment on as the creator of the setting. The theory is this: 

Investiture seeks sapience. It looks for someone to control it or, in some instances, spontaneously adopts personality. 

A mind (cognitive aspect of a person) can become infused with Investiture. This acts a little like minerals with petrified wood, replacing the mind and personality with investiture. 

This makes me think it is usually a process that takes a lot of time. Returned are admittedly weird, but I think the divine breath isn't stuck to the soul like regular breath, but seeps into the soul and becomes the soul given enough time. 

This is speculation, but I think in all cases the investiture ends up becoming the soul, so if it was the spren that makes a CS the spren would be consumed to make it.

Edited by Ciridae

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 4:33 AM, Ciridae said:

Ah ok I see. But spren bond more than one individual over the course of their existence, would that imply that there are multiple ghost-radiants for each spren? Plus in some cases a live surgebinder? Seems an awful lot of stuff for one spren to be holding on to. I don't know if your average nahel spren has enough investiture to make several radiant Shadows. Simple Connection as a means of keeping them around seems too little to me, I agree with Extesian that it's the incredible amounts of kinetic investiture that turns them into CSs. It just feels simpler. As I understand it that's what happened 

Reveal hidden contents

to Kelsier in SH, but quicker because the investiture was far more abundant and concentrated.

This WoB is a big part of why I think the stormlight causes them the become CS instead of the spren:

This makes me think it is usually a process that takes a lot of time. Returned are admittedly weird, but I think the divine breath isn't stuck to the soul like regular breath, but seeps into the soul and becomes the soul given enough time. 

This is speculation, but I think in all cases the investiture ends up becoming the soul, so if it was the spren that makes a CS the spren would be consumed to make it.

You ended the quote a little too early (emphasis mine):

Recognize that the term cognitive shadow is an in-cosmere theory, which I'm not going to comment on as the creator of the setting. The theory is this:

Investiture seeks sapience. It looks for someone to control it or, in some instances, spontaneously adopts personality.

A mind (cognitive aspect of a person) can become infused with Investiture. This acts a little like minerals with petrified wood, replacing the mind and personality with investiture.

When the actual person dies, this investiture imprint remains behind. A copy of the soul, but not the actual soul.

Others disagree with this, and think the soul itself persists. Still others reject the theory in its entirety.

I am firmly in the latter camp.